HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Discussion
Shaft puller on EP1 Aquacraft Outboard

There was a thread started on how to remove the drive shaft from an Ep1 outboard, but nobody gave a reply and it was posted in the wrong section.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084433

I have a bearing locked in the lower unit of my outboard and was unsure on how to use the shaft puller that was included in the factory box. My Son has a G.I. Joe named "Duke" that has worked on a few EP1 outboards while he served in the the Coast Guard. He patroled the waters of my mother's pool between 2004-2006. He has since retired and lives in the basement. He was glad to come over to my work room and pull it out for me.

This is more of a scale outboard than it is for racing, so that's why I picked this section.

Let's start withfirst step of removing the cover.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Jun 19, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Removing the can motor

Second step: Remove the can motor. Disconnect the water tubes and remove the two mounting bolts with a allen wrench as shown. If you purchased the outboard new, it comes with all the tools you need in the factory box.
Unless you're a human, bend your knees when lifting the motor, it's pretty heavy.
Notice the top coupling on the end of the can motor.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Locating the lower shaft coupling

Step Three: Locate the lower coupling. Remove the can motor gasket and look down the top of the lower unit. You should see the lower shaft coupling. It's a shiny brass thingy and there is a hole in the middle of it for the shaft puller to screw into. The shaft puller is a large black bolt with a wing nut on it. There is also a black plastic plate with a washer. The plate covers the shaft hole for the wing nut to press against.
Last edited by Tollytime; Jun 19, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Removing the shaft

Step Four: Pulling the shaft out. You must screw the puller bolt into the lower coupling. Duke says to hold the prop so you can tighten it snug. Now you can turn the wing nut clockwise and the shaft should start to lift out.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Service the shaft

Well, there it is. The lower bearing is frozen and you can see it has been turning in the housing. Duke loosened the set screw on the lower gear and removed the bad bearing.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Saying goodbye to Duke

Duke got on his Quad Runner to go home. I was very grateful and thanked him. He was wearing his helmet at that moment and he said something like "Knowing is half the battle", or something like that.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:41 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
nice how to. Now would you do the same thing if you wanted to stuff the gears with grease?
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:37 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
great tutoriol and the instructor/s was extremely helpful

my outboards a little less complicated than that, i remove the motor and coupling at on end, undo a nut at the other and the whole flex shaft assembly slides out, pack with flex shaft grease and assemble again
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:44 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined May 2006
285 Posts
Yeah what an entertaining thread. I wondered how you get that stuff out as I have never owned an outboard yet. Very cool! Thanks.
4mods is offline Find More Posts by 4mods
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthis View Post
nice how to. Now would you do the same thing if you wanted to stuff the gears with grease?
Why not, that's what I'm doing. The lower shaft comes out as well. That part is a little more obvious.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick30head View Post
great tutoriol and the instructor/s was extremely helpful

my outboards a little less complicated than that, i remove the motor and coupling at on end, undo a nut at the other and the whole flex shaft assembly slides out, pack with flex shaft grease and assemble again
How about a picture? I'm looking for something like that.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
if memory serve's me correctly, its a outboard from graupner (to fit i believe a speed 500 motor) even comes with the motor cover and a few other bits, try looking at www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk or type in graupner outboard in your search engine

will post (hopefully) a few pix later today
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:00 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
graupner OB with brushless motor

here's the simple break down of the graupner OB for 500 size motor with a replacement 3000kv 3640 brushless motor for my F1 tunnel hull fast electric boat, the motor mount has been modifyed to accept the brushless motor

pic 1- one side view of setup with access panel for shaft greasing
pic 2- other side view of setup
pic 3- OB setup with access panel removed by 3 screws for greasing
pic 4- OB stripped to its components for cleaning etc

in the last picture (obviously) brushless motor, shaft and keep/guide nut for flex shaft
Last edited by nick30head; Jun 23, 2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: adding 4th picture
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick30head View Post
here's the simple break down of the graupner OB for 500 size motor with a replacement 3000kv 3640 brushless motor for my F1 tunnel hull fast electric boat, the motor mount has been modifyed to accept the brushless motor

pic 1- one side view of setup with access panel for shaft greasing
pic 2- other side view of setup
pic 3- OB setup with access panel removed by 3 screws for greasing
pic 4- OB stripped to its components for cleaning etc

in the last picture (obviously) brushless motor, shaft and keep/guide nut for flex shaft
Nice engine, I bet it runs good!!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:15 PM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
i use a 3 cell (3s) 5000mah lipo, i get 33000 rpm's unloaded (on the bench) and around 31000rpm's when she's in the water, the motor's turning a 27mm 2 blade racing prop (submerged) a 60a waterproofed/cooled brushless esc (all modified by me) the motors air cooled so no need for watercooling the motor