HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
132 Posts
Discussion
Bad News + Bad News + Bad News = Good News - Go Figure????

I went to the flying field with my 11 yr old son Trey yesterday morning. He is just getting his bearings enough to take-off, fly around and land unassisted. He has not officially solo'd yet, but he has made a few solo flights.

Bad News #1... He took off, flew around for about 6-8 minutes, and by the time he landed, his nerves were shot and the wind seemed to have picked up quite a bit. He drifted over the runway l to r (wind assisted) and hit fly box. Sounded pretty bad, but luckily not too too bad. It will be fixed shortly with just some glue and tape.

Bad News #2... He took it pretty hard. No matter how many wrecks we have watched together, no matter how many times I have told him ( and shown him personally) that it happens to everyone, no matter how much I told him it was OK - NO BIG DEAL AT ALL, he was still pretty bummed. This was his first "wreck" and like many of us, I am sure he felt like the world was watching.

Bad News #3... So, while the little one was pouting, I figured I'd make one more flight with my Mini Pulse. By this time the wind had really picked up and I just ignored it because I have been flying with great authority for several months. You probably know where this is going, but to make a long story short, a little too bold flying (inverted and low), a little too slow and too much wind drove me in to the ground. Ironically, Trey was right next to me but happened to have glanced away for a moment and missed the crash. I told him I was going to make him feel better and to follow me.

Good News... We walked out to my plane. I told him "You see, it happens to everyone eventually" and he instantly perked up. We both started laughing about it all, picked up the pieces, and headed back to the flight line and continued cutting up. He was SMASH and I was CRASH for the rest of the day. We had fun the rest of the day and didn't sweat it a bit.

I hope I don't crash again any time soon, but if/when I do, I hope I get over it pretty quickly. It's just not that big of a deal.
cheap daddy is offline Find More Posts by cheap daddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Nice story

You crashing will really help reassure him that it happens to everyone! That's some damn good parenting!
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
I thought I was both smash and crash..

Good story, happy Fathers Day.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
+1 good father - son bonding story.
Wasteland is offline Find More Posts by Wasteland
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good for you - you handled that very well.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Although unintentional, it all worked out very well, you both will have learned from the experience.
And yes, EVERYONE that flies RC aircraft will eventually crash a plane, whatever the causes or reasons, no matter the flight line experience!!
Congradualtions on a great Father's Day (to a great dad)!!!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley