HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:00 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Something seems odd here. Range should have nothing to do with throttle cutting out while still having control. I would think that the BEC has kicked in eliminating power to the motor while still giving you control servo response. If you were out of range the control servos would not respond. I am guessing that you ran the motor until the battery voltage dropped to the low voltage cutoff which then enabled the ESC BEC to cut off power to the motor but continued power to the control servos. Also if you video cam was tied into the battery pack that would also contribute to the battery power depletion.
Thanks Rick, Good point, makes sense, running 30A ESC, 2200Mha 25C Batt, I normally can run at least 6-8 Min's on this batt, 30% full, 70% 1/2 throttle, and batt voltage is around 11.3 volts at the end, (recharge takes approx 1200Mha). But, now that I think about it, a few weeks back, about 45 sec into a flight the motor cut out, but I still had control, and was able to bring her back for a landing, maybe a bad ESC? Unless I find her, I'll never know. BTW, the video cam is self powered.
Never too old to learn something new!

Bob
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
Thanks Rick, Good point, makes sense, running 30A ESC, 2200Mha 25C Batt, I normally can run at least 6-8 Min's on this batt, 30% full, 70% 1/2 throttle, and batt voltage is around 11.3 volts at the end, (recharge takes approx 1200Mha). But, now that I think about it, a few weeks back, about 45 sec into a flight the motor cut out, but I still had control, and was able to bring her back for a landing, maybe a bad ESC? Unless I find her, I'll never know. BTW, the video cam is self powered.
Never too old to learn something new!
Bob
You mentioned that the battery usually has 11.3v at the end. A 3s battery is fully charged at 11.1v. Are you using a 4s battery? If so maybe you overloaded your ESC.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:40 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Quote:
A 3s battery is fully charged at 11.1v. Are you using a 4s battery? If so maybe you overloaded your ESC.
12.6V is the fully charged 3S lipo voltage (4.2V/cell). 11.1V is the nominal voltage.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:07 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
12.6V is the fully charged 3S lipo voltage (4.2V/cell). 11.1V is the nominal voltage.
Correct, I use a Sky Charger B6AC Auto shutoff at 12.6V

Bob
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
Going to Plan C
Joined May 2011
98 Posts
How well does this plane fly with lets say fpv equipment? And the flig times with a 2200mah battery?
spectre6573 is offline Find More Posts by spectre6573
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
This is my plane. I lOVE this plane, it's usually the first one I fly at the field. This thing hauls on the recommended Electrifly motor set up. I find 2200 to just be to heavy. I usually go with an 1800 and get about 6-8 minutes depending on how I fly. I go with a 1500 with the glider wing and get can just about 30 minutes with some thermals and minimal throttle. The sport wing is my favorite though. With full throws set on the controls the roll rate is insane, and I've tossed this plane around like a 3D plane. Well, almost! I bought another one right after my first flight and will be sending some cash over to the Don for his motor set up and thrust tube. I did the tube on this one but I can't wait to see what my next one will do with Don's set up. Although I love taking off from our runway I've done away with the gear and toss this one now.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6573 View Post
How well does this plane fly with lets say fpv equipment? And the flig times with a 2200mah battery?
I don't this will do so well with gear and the 2200, maybe 1500 or 1800 ?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:34 PM
Going to Plan C
Joined May 2011
98 Posts
I guess a blown wing or prop is still just has efficency to fly fpv with good flight times. The pod sticking out there is a lot of drag. Im sure a bigger wing would be better.
spectre6573 is offline Find More Posts by spectre6573
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6573 View Post
I guess a blown wing or prop is still just has efficency to fly fpv with good flight times. The pod sticking out there is a lot of drag. Im sure a bigger wing would be better.
I'm not sure I follow you 100%, but I don't think this would be the best platform for FPV. Perhaps a small keychain camera or something of the sort, but not much else. A bigger wing would just add more weight. There is also little to no room inside the battery compartment or fuze.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:04 AM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I'm not sure I follow you 100%, but I don't think this would be the best platform for FPV. Perhaps a small keychain camera or something of the sort, but not much else. A bigger wing would just add more weight. There is also little to no room inside the battery compartment or fuze.
I just bought a mini cam (http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-90-carcam.html), mounted it on the side of the fuze, just in front of the wing. 33 Grams flew it yesterday with a 2200Mha batt, got 16 mins of video/ flt time, used 1350 of the 2200. They call it HD, but it's not, but for $38 not bad.

Bob
Old Jul 29, 2011, 04:50 PM
Living to Build'em and Fly'em.
Joined Jul 2011
62 Posts
Decals

I was a bit disappointed with how fast the decals started coming off. During the first flight launch process, I was standing at the cliff line, holding the plane with the glider wing on it and with the movement of the plane in the dynamic wind, they started pulling right off.
Also, had the canopy magnets pull out of their holes. Had to score the sides and bottom, to give the epoxy something to hold on to, when gluing them back in.

Other than that, the glider wing was the first flight of any RC I've done after 20+ years of being absent from the sport. It did pretty well in the coastal winds here in Lima, Peru, which were averaging 12-14 Mph with gusts to 17-18.
The flying site here is a cliff line, which creates dynamic wind off a 200' +/- vertical drop to the beach. It did however, seem to require a lot of up-elevator, even though it was balanced perfectly on the GPCGM.
Mr.GFC is offline Find More Posts by Mr.GFC
Last edited by Mr.GFC; Jul 29, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:53 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
923 Posts
Hi GFC,
Sorry to hear about your problems with the decals. In over 40 flights, I have not had any issues with them.
A magnet did come loose in the pod when I switched wings but not a real problem. So far, those in the hatch are fine.

This has become one of my favorite planes!

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:45 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
Hi GFC,
Sorry to hear about your problems with the decals. In over 40 flights, I have not had any issues with them.
A magnet did come loose in the pod when I switched wings but not a real problem. So far, those in the hatch are fine.

This has become one of my favorite planes!

Joe
Do you like flying it best with the glider wing or the sport wing?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:26 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
923 Posts
Quote:
Do you like flying it best with the glider wing or the sport wing?
I started out with the glider wing but found it more fun with the aerobatic wing. I hope to try a small camera on the glider wing this fall. But for now, the aerobatic wing rules!

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:32 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Has anyone tried larger wheels on the Syncro?