HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:44 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
The glider wing is glued and becomes one-piece forever. No warpage with my kit.
Thanks for the info Dave. Nice review.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
923 Posts
Nice review, Dave.
I have over 30 flights on mine now, the majority with the aerobatic wing. I used canopy glue for the assembly as I use that a lot with indoor foamies and it has some give to it.

Only problem I have had is one main gear holder came a bit loose due to many touch'n-gos on a rough paved runway.

Liked it so much I bought a second one for "when"!

I have found that you can take off from wet grass (without wheels) if you give it a little push to get it started. You can also do touch n' gos on grass.

I posted several videos on youtube, mostly taken by my FlyCamOneHD attached to my cap visor. At some point, I will use a better camera to get some nice video.
Joe
Great Planes Syncro EDF (3 min 22 sec)

Great Planes Syncro EDF with Aerobatic Wing (2 min 39 sec)

More Great Planes Syncro EDF with Aerobatic Wing (7 min 17 sec)
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Thanks for sharing the videos Joe. Have you tried hand launching by yourself with the glider wing? I wondered how much of a heave it took. Also how well does it roll with the long wing?

Rick
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
923 Posts
Hi Rick,
I have hand launched it once using a hard throw straight ahead and had several others do it for me. Does drop some but not an issue.

I have my throws set up as suggested in the manual. It is more of a barrel roll with the glider wing. Quite slow. It does do nice tight loops with that wing.

The plane tracks very well with either wing. And slows down well.

A nice addition to my planes.

Joe
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:18 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Well, I just got started on my Syncro. The very first item in the instructions I have an issue with. It states that once the spar covers are glued in the wing servos cannot be replaced. I don't like that. Things break. I at least like to have access from the servo to the plug in case a servo croaks. I may just widen the seam in the spar cover joint and poke the wire and plug into it flush so I can get at it later.

Glue question - I have some medium CA which I have used on some elapor foamies but I try not to use it if possible as it irritates my old lungs. I don't have any canopy glue. Any other recommended alternatives I can get locally (no LHS near).

And Dave, if I am cluttering up your review thread please let me know and I will start another thread.

Rick
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:36 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Well, I just got started on my Syncro. The very first item in the instructions I have an issue with. It states that once the spar covers are glued in the wing servos cannot be replaced. I don't like that. Things break. I at least like to have access from the servo to the plug in case a servo croaks. I may just widen the seam in the spar cover joint and poke the wire and plug into it flush so I can get at it later.
Rick
Rick,
I just marked the wing where the servo connector is located so I can cut into the spar cover should the occasion ever require it. Hopefully, that will not happen but at least I can get at it now with destroying the wing. You could also just cut a hole in the spar cover where the connector is located and cover it later with packaging tape.

Joe
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:42 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
Rick,
I just marked the wing where the servo connector is located so I can cut into the spar cover should the occasion ever require it. Hopefully, that will not happen but at least I can get at it now with destroying the wing. You could also just cut a hole in the spar cover where the connector is located and cover it later with packaging tape.
Joe
I think the problem would be fishing the replacement servo plug back to the extension plug.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:47 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
This also set in motion the need to be absolutely sure the sure works well and is in the correct position for movement. Hook it all up to your Rx first and make sure everything works well. My guess is that should something like a gear go bad you could lift the servo out and do the repair right there on the wing. Gears take but a minute or two to replace.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
I think the problem would be fishing the replacement servo plug back to the extension plug.
When I built mine two months ago, I thought the same thing, so I glued the spar in, but used packing tape to secure the covers, the other day a gear stripped in one of the servos, and am I glad that I used packing tape! I found no difference in gluing or tapping the covers on. As far a hand launching, I always hand launch, just hold the plane with a 30* up angle and give it a moderate toss and get on the elevator stick, she pitches down a bit then climbs out nicely. Only con I found is the motor pod shears off easily, (which maybe is a good thing), and the magnets don't stay glued in, both the hatch, and the pod, but other than that, it's a great plane for $99.

Bob
pondside is offline Find More Posts by pondside
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
When I built mine two months ago, I thought the same thing, so I glued the spar in, but used packing tape to secure the covers, the other day a gear stripped in one of the servos, and am I glad that I used packing tape! I found no difference in gluing or tapping the covers on. As far a hand launching, I always hand launch, just hold the plane with a 30* up angle and give it a moderate toss and get on the elevator stick, she pitches down a bit then climbs out nicely. Only con I found is the motor pod shears off easily, (which maybe is a good thing), and the magnets don't stay glued in, both the hatch, and the pod, but other than that, it's a great plane for $99.

Bob
Good info Bob. I think the key here is that the full length spar is glued to the wing. I have built some Multiplex Easy Star and Easy Glider wings that you have to glue the spar covers on but the spar is not glued in so it can be removed to have a two piece removable wing so the cover takes some of the load. A bud built an Easy Glider and only tack glued the spar covers on and they popped off in flight folding the wings and lunching the aircraft. I think what I might do is make the spar cover two piece. Glue in the longer section toward the fuse and tape over or hot glue edges of the smaller section to allow access to the servo plug if needed.

Thanks,

Rick
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:10 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Good info Bob. I think the key here is that the full length spar is glued to the wing. I have built some Multiplex Easy Star and Easy Glider wings that you have to glue the spar covers on but the spar is not glued in so it can be removed to have a two piece removable wing so the cover takes some of the load. A bud built an Easy Glider and only tack glued the spar covers on and they popped off in flight folding the wings and lunching the aircraft. I think what I might do is make the spar cover two piece. Glue in the longer section toward the fuse and tape over or hot glue edges of the smaller section to allow access to the servo plug if needed.

Thanks,

Rick
A tip for everyone out there, put you name, address, and phone # on a card on the inside of the hatch, I wish I had, the other night was flying, and lost sight of it behind the trees, luckily, someone a half mile down the road found it, and was standing at the end of his driveway with it when I was out driving to try and find it. About an hour later I was flying it up about 2,000 ft and the wind took it, It was flying backwards then I lost reception, last time I saw it, was headed, (or I should say backing), east at 2,000 ft. also with my video camera.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:16 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Man 2000 feet is up there. At 500 feet the Syncro would be hard to see. Good luck - hope you get it back. I hung my apprentice in a tree last summer and finally had to cut the tree down to get it out.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:38 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
A tip for everyone out there, put you name, address, and phone # on a card on the inside of the hatch, I wish I had, the other night was flying, and lost sight of it behind the trees, luckily, someone a half mile down the road found it, and was standing at the end of his driveway with it when I was out driving to try and find it. About an hour later I was flying it up about 2,000 ft and the wind took it, It was flying backwards then I lost reception, last time I saw it, was headed, (or I should say backing), east at 2,000 ft. also with my video camera.
Sorry to hear about your aircraft. Putting an ID label inside is a good idea. That is what AMA recommends to it's members.

I always try to fly upwind. If there is an issue you have a better chance of getting the bird back home.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:45 PM
pondside
Sutton, Ma.
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your aircraft. Putting an ID label inside is a good idea. That is what AMA recommends to it's members.

I always try to fly upwind. If there is an issue you have a better chance of getting the bird back home.
When I sent her up it was dead calm, I took her up to above 2,000 ft to get some good video, I've range checked this plane to about 2,500- 3,000 ft. (satellite receiver), When I lose throttle control I know I'm at that distance, I still have control of the other 3 surfaces, but the wind pulled her away.

Bob
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
When I sent her up it was dead calm, I took her up to above 2,000 ft to get some good video, I've range checked this plane to about 2,500- 3,000 ft. (satellite receiver), When I lose throttle control I know I'm at that distance, I still have control of the other 3 surfaces, but the wind pulled her away.

Bob
Something seems odd here. Range should have nothing to do with throttle cutting out while still having control. I would think that the BEC has kicked in eliminating power to the motor while still giving you control servo response. If you were out of range the control servos would not respond. I am guessing that you ran the motor until the battery voltage dropped to the low voltage cutoff which then enabled the ESC BEC to cut off power to the motor but continued power to the control servos. Also if you video cam was tied into the battery pack that would also contribute to the battery power depletion.
Last edited by Rickochet; Jul 18, 2011 at 07:17 PM.