HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
New Product
******NEW YAK-55 Micro by DYNAMIC FOAMY*******

I need some feedback on this new plane under development. We have had some customer requests for this style of airplane so here are photos of the prototype. This is a highly modified version of the Yak-55 that will use the same 6400 series equipment flown on our Dynex2.4 model. I stretched the main fuse vertically to give it extra surface area while decreasing the wingspan from it scale configuration. The control surfaces are also oversized with the appropriate counter balances. This thing is VERY lightweight but surprising strong. The wing area is at least 10% more than our Dynex2.4 but the overall weight is the same.

So, the model is interesting but should we offer it as a Dynamic Foamy product?

General Specs:
*1.2-1.3oz. Flying weight
*Length 21
*Wingspan 20

Est. Selling price
*Full kit covered as shown $34.99
*Ready to film (completely cut with Carbon and hardware) you cover the model with your choice of film $19.99

Let me know your thoughts,
Bert
DynamicFoamy is offline Find More Posts by DynamicFoamy
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Customer Support Forum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:26 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Looks sweet and at half the cost of the Extra 300 airframe you might have a winner. Flight reports seem to be the key to the success of all planes here. Maybe you should send a full kit to RealGambler and let him review it and compare it to the Extra.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,025 Posts
Looks great

Any flight vids?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:32 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Looks sweet and at half the cost of the Extra 300 airframe you might have a winner. Flight reports seem to be the key to the success of all planes here. Maybe you should send a full kit to RealGambler and let him review it and compare it to the Extra.
TODD
Thanks for the vote of confidence IRV! Sadly, shipping cost to Canada are prohibitive. Definitively look like a good contender to the Extra for sure! Also love the fact that you can use your own covering, which is a sweet idea!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Initial comments:

1- Not too keen about the fake vents which will simply weaken the airframe. I do like the large crumpling zone in front otherwise!

2- Cockpit is waaaaay to weak as it is. Remember, pilots will catch it by the cockpit while hovering, and an inverted landing (ok, crash) will also crush it easily. (yes, it does happen). Once it's all weaken (it won't break, thanks to the mylar), KE won't be has nice since the cockpit will bend). The Extra as more support, and it's still weak!

3- If it's the final version, does it land straight on the rudder? A little extra notch on the airframe would protect the rudder from impact.

Overall, just by looking at it, I'm giving it the thumb's up!
Last edited by RealGambler; Jun 20, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Gambler with all the crap I give you (and you take it well) the least I can do is try and get you a free airframe. You post more videos and info on the Extra than anyone, which makes you the perfect candidate. I'll be more than happy to pay the shipping if they decide to give you a kit to review. PayPal ready DF
TODD
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:22 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Here is a quick video of the prototype in action just to test the concept. One of the first things I noticed is when you invert the plane it stays in trim with NO tendency to pitch up or down.

Bert

Yak-55 micro.wmv (1 min 41 sec)
DynamicFoamy is offline Find More Posts by DynamicFoamy
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Customer Support Forum
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
WOW! that looks awesome!
I think RealGambler is right about the rudder being in a dangerous position on landing... so I guess after trying to take off from asphalt you will end up with a rudderless plane... but it might be fixable with a music wire skid.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Nov 2007
152 Posts
Hell YES!!!!!!!
mnovotny is offline Find More Posts by mnovotny
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:13 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Looks fantastic. I actually prefer the look of it over the e-flite 300 and the fact that you can purchase a new ready to cover airframe for only $19.99 is awesome. I would agree RG that possibly the "vents" would weaken the air frame. I really like the look of them, the question is how much stronger would the front end be without them? The precision looks to be absolutely amazing. I think this is a real winner!
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:31 PM
Kansas
Joined Jun 2008
7 Posts
Hey Bert
I was excited to be a winner in your AMA magazine "About Us" contest. I am still looking forward to receiving the kits. Maybe this new Yak will be one of them. I will send you more E-mails.
Dave
damarath is offline Find More Posts by damarath
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:57 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Just a little note to say that Bert did send me some kits to review. Just started building one, so I'll post a review in the next few days. Until then, drink a lot of water, because from what I've seen so far, you'll be salivating a lot until this beauty is officially released! BTW, you may also want to go crash your other UMs, since you'll need the electronic soon!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Just a little note to say that Bert did send me some kits to review. Just started building one, so I'll post a review in the next few days. Until then, drink a lot of water, because from what I've seen so far, you'll be salivating a lot until this beauty is officially released! BTW, you may also want to go crash your other UMs, since you'll need the electronic soon!
See I aint totally worthless.
TODD
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:13 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
I owe you big time! I'm taking my time to build it (in reality, I think somebody could easily put it together in less than one hour with C.A., but I'm a stuborn guy, and I'm using my favorite glue, UHU POR, and let it dry between each step).

On the bench it's a very impressive airplane, looking forward for the maiden!
Last edited by RealGambler; Jul 15, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,954 Posts
Hows it coming along Gambler, any pics for us to droll on? 6 days and impatiently waiting.
TODD

Bert: I just want to say thank you for sending Gambler the kits.
Last edited by I R Irv; Jul 21, 2011 at 07:24 PM.