SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
thanks. does anybody knows where to buy current sensor which is compatible with RVOSD?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:57 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
thanks. does anybody knows where to buy current sensor which is compatible with RVOSD?
Do you want an aditional one or "broke" yours? In the latter case, look at the bottom of the PCB. There is a VERY small trace going to the connector connection labeled VCC which is suposed to serve as a fuse (to protect the RVOSD if you connect the sensor the wrong way to the board). It melts trough if you do this and if it's only for a second. Applying some solder there makes it work again, but be warned that a next time mixing up polarity then would most likely kill something in your RVOSD.

If you absolutely need a sensor, this guy here should work (but is a 50A sensor only)

http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...simpleosd.html

Other than the 50A type "limit", the sensor should work the same. Note that it does not have that small trace which serves as a fuse though.

The "ultralight series" from Flytron eventually work too (but I haven't found the time yet to test it).

http://www.flytron.com/sensors/64-ul...nt-sensor.html

Eventually you would need a way to calibrate it. I don't know if the RVOSD firmware allows you to do this. I know, it's a shame but I have in general not enough time to do and check all the things I would like to....

The sensors chips used are from Alegro and available, so replacing yours (provided it's broken) is an option. Replacing the Flytron one with a 100A variant sensor chip is another option too.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Do you want an aditional one or "broke" yours? In the latter case, look at the bottom of the PCB. There is a VERY small trace going to the connector connection labeled VCC which is suposed to serve as a fuse (to protect the RVOSD if you connect the sensor the wrong way to the board). It melts trough if you do this and if it's only for a second. Applying some solder there makes it work again, but be warned that a next time mixing up polarity then would most likely kill something in your RVOSD.

If you absolutely need a sensor, this guy here should work (but is a 50A sensor only)

http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...simpleosd.html

Other than the 50A type "limit", the sensor should work the same. Note that it does not have that small trace which serves as a fuse though.

The "ultralight series" from Flytron eventually work too (but I haven't found the time yet to test it).

http://www.flytron.com/sensors/64-ul...nt-sensor.html

Eventually you would need a way to calibrate it. I don't know if the RVOSD firmware allows you to do this. I know, it's a shame but I have in general not enough time to do and check all the things I would like to....

The sensors chips used are from Alegro and available, so replacing yours (provided it's broken) is an option. Replacing the Flytron one with a 100A variant sensor chip is another option too.

HTH

Markus
Thanks for the info. I didn't break mine, I have a set without it form a friend.
According to Alex, it gives 41.25mV/A. This is not the case for flytron curr. sensors nor other I have seen.

Too bad we can't caliberate it in the menu.

Waiting for stock to arrive to RV. Will it ever ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
So how can I go about making a switch for RTH? I guess I can live without the menu switching. Kinda sucks though. I want to atleast toggle RTH if something is going wrong. Or have it RTH if I disconnect my transmitter. Being able to use FBW would have been cool. Stupid fly sky.
I did it with 2 +100 +100 or -100 -100 (can't remember) mixes. it works like a charm. one mix wasn't enough.
I even have pan tilt and rudder while in RTH (-:

http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...ghlight=switch
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't break mine, I have a set without it form a friend.
According to Alex, it gives 41.25mV/A. This is not the case for flytron curr. sensors nor other I have seen.

Too bad we can't caliberate it in the menu.

Waiting for stock to arrive to RV. Will it ever ?
Too bad you can't calibrate. The statement given by Alex does not sound right IMHO. The chip used, according to the datasheet, gives 20mV/A. It's this guy here: ACS758LCB-100U-PFF-T, the datasheet can be found here,

http://www.allegromicro.com/Products...Cs/ACS758.aspx

and you most likely should be able to sample it too.

The cirquit needed is dead simple in that the sensor get's 5v from a tiny linear voltage regulator, the output of the sensor chip forms the "signal" going to the RVOSD. The cirquit is pretty much what's proposed in the datasheet too, so you could build one up by yourself on one of those prototyping PCB boards available, or as mentioned previousely, get the one from Flytron and simply replace the sensor chip. At least that's the route I'm going if I need another single sensor.

For how long are they out of stock, and did RV gave any estimated arrival or other reasons why it's out of stock there? The thing does not look like rocket sience...

HTH

Markus
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
I love the smell of elapor....
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
would this current sensor work??????

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=314
MaximumBob is offline Find More Posts by MaximumBob
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
1. Can I define the radius of the RTH circles ?
2. What happened if bettery runs out while in RTH ? will the plane land nicely ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
No, the plane will stall and land un-nicely.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:38 PM
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
would this current sensor work??????

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=314
any help here?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
any help here?
Not sure if you want to hear my opinion. The problem is that the product informations you linked to do not reveal which sensor is used etc. I would have to buy one and reverse engineer it. Maybe someone who has this sensor could give us some information on it.

So IMHO for those who don't want to delve too deep into the topic and badly need a solutoin, a working option is to go for the sensor from Flytron, unsolder the allegro chip used there, and replace it with the one RV uses. I posted the type RV uses in one of my last posts here and you should be able to buy or sample it in small quantities. One obviousely should first check if he can source this chip before ordering at Flytron though. The sensor from Flytron and the one RV needs are pin compatible. The only difference between the two is the milivolts per ampere reported and how many amps the sensor takes as a maximum.

Obviousely this MUST match what the RVOSD firmware expects cause otherwise your readings would be wrong. I thus don't see another way to get to such a working sensor other than useing the same chip RV uses or of course to wait for them to be in stock again.

HTH

Markus
Last edited by markus123456; Dec 22, 2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typos
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
thanks Markus.....wish we could get an answer from the RangeVid crew as to what the dealio is...... i hate flying without any idea as to what my current usage has been !!!!!!! its sorta like going on a road trip with a broken fuel gauge.... stressful !
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:13 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,806 Posts
I bought RVOSD5 long time ago but only just got around to installing it (got a bit sidetracked with multi-rotor fpv). Works extremely well and it has given me a lot more confidence to fly further out. Without gps and rth I was always concerned about losing a plane due to video signal drop outs.

My question is, can you supply 12 volts to the unit by tapping into the balance port of a 4,5 or 6 cell lipo? I want to fly a wing using just the one battery which is a 5 cell, dont want to carry a 3 cell as well. So this battery would be plugged into the current sensor, then tap into the balance plug and supply 12 volts to RVOSD for the aux batt. plus 5 volts for my rx. Is there any problem having the same battery as main & aux at the same time?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
I bought RVOSD5 long time ago but only just got around to installing it (got a bit sidetracked with multi-rotor fpv). Works extremely well and it has given me a lot more confidence to fly further out. Without gps and rth I was always concerned about losing a plane due to video signal drop outs.

My question is, can you supply 12 volts to the unit by tapping into the balance port of a 4,5 or 6 cell lipo? I want to fly a wing using just the one battery which is a 5 cell, dont want to carry a 3 cell as well. So this battery would be plugged into the current sensor, then tap into the balance plug and supply 12 volts to RVOSD for the aux batt. plus 5 volts for my rx. Is there any problem having the same battery as main & aux at the same time?
While you could do this, I strongly recommend you not to do it. The reason is that if you do so, you discharge some cells more than others which will lead to an unbalanced battery and the battery failing earlier.
The save way to do this is to add another DC/DC converter (small, lightweight and efficient) that you hook up to the battery and which outputs the 12 volts you later on feed into your RVOSD. Just make sure you use a DC/DC converter and not a linear voltage regulator. Maybe something like this should do well:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=256&page=2

I know it's out of stock, but it should give you an idea on what to search for. If you intend to also hook up your bec to this, make sure the current consumption of your rx and all servos plus the OSD is not too high for the converter.

Just searched the net a little more, and this guy may works well for you:

http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=837

HTH

Markus
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:50 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,806 Posts
Thanks Markus thats a help. The reason I asked that is because I tap into a 4 cell on my fpv quad and supply 12 volts to the vTx / camera. Those flights are very short so it doesnt seem to unbalance the pack but I guess if I did this with RVOSD/rx/vTx/cam + a long flight it would definitely unbalance the pack.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:16 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
We can only order the rvosd from rangevideo?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint