HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Yes it can handle 6S. But in that case you have to provide a 3S battery to power the video signal through the auxiliary battery input.
can the balance port of the 6s battery be used for this only using the first three cells ?
what if the camera is only 5v ?

thanks
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
The OSD has an internal 5volt regulator, so if both the jumper selectors for camera and Tx voltage are set to 5Volts, you don't need to provide a secondary battery, neither to remove the "main battery disable" jumper.
But if any of the jumpers for voltage selection are set to 12V you have to provide 12V on the auxiliary battery input and remove the "main battery disable" jumper.
Taking 12V from the balance plug is possible, but I don't think it is a good idea. Because the battery will get more discharge on the cells providing 12V. This could get the battery to much unbalanced. Also can give you some fireworks if you reverse the polarity on the main auxiliary battery plug to RVOSD.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Taking 12V from the balance plug is possible, but I don't think it is a good idea. Because the battery will get more discharge on the cells providing 12V. This could get the battery to much unbalanced. .
i have done this before and cringed when doing it :S

my camera is 5v and my Vtx is 12v , so whats the best thing to do ? use a voltage reg to step down to 12v from 6s for the Vtx ...

then use the BEC from the ESC to power the camera with a filter (capacitor and toroid) ? or take it off the OSD with the jumper set to 5v , also with a filter ?
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
10. Can I power my camera and video transmitter from the RVOSD? What if I have a 5V camera? Can I power the RVOSD and video system from one battery?
Yes, the RVOSD has a power rail filter so you can power all of your 12V video equipment using the main flight battery, without motor/ESC noise.
Yes, the RVOSD has a 5V 1.5A power supply which you can select to use if your camera or video transmitter is 5V. Camera and transmitter voltage selection is independent- you can use a 12V camera and a 5V transmitter for example.
i think i understand now .. so i just have to have a stepdown from 25 volts(6s) to 12.5v (3s) and that will be fine ... recommendations as what stepdown to use ?
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:25 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
So if I plug in an aux battery into the G5, I have to "disable" the "main battery" jumper on the board? The jumper came set at "enable", this is for running the Tx and camera off the main battery, correct?
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:41 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Where are the stabilized flight reports??

I want to buy this for my Gen 4 RVOSD, but need to see the flight reports before I dump another 100+ bucks.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:18 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Alex/elcheapo

If you launch in fly by wire mode will this stabilize a wing like the Zephyr or is there a better mode to launch in?

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:51 AM
Registered Loon
Joined May 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Alex/elcheapo

If you launch in fly by wire mode will this stabilize a wing like the Zephyr or is there a better mode to launch in?

Thanks

Mark
that would be awesome eh , launch at let fly to the first way point .. getting onto drones here
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:12 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
Where are the stabilized flight reports??
I am not reporting here because I still have some problems running RVOSD5 and autopilot correctly. It came out it does not work with GoPro HD camera live video output correctly. Probably desoldering resistor R11 would help, but not confirmed. RangeVideo can not confirm this because they have no access to GoPro HD.

And currently I have problem that AHI is not aligned with the horizon. BTW I have full RVOSD5, not addon card.

Here's the video from my last test flights. GoPro HD changed to simple PAL CCD camera for tests. Please open in YouTube to see index.
RVOSD5 tests: AHI & autopilot (14 min 29 sec)

I think there are many users that are happily using the product without any problems. And then there are some like me that are having issues. Probably you should look for info on RangeVideo forum.

I will post a review after all my issues with RVOSD5 are solved.

Quote:
Yes, it will stabilize it during the launch. Though prior to doing this you have to make sure IMU works correctly and vibrations does not affect it, also check that AHI is aligned with horizon. The best would be launch without FBW (fly by wire) and watch video recording afterwards to determine if AHI was was aligned correctly all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
that would be awesome eh , launch at let fly to the first way point .. getting onto drones here
Unfortunately waypoint sequencer works only for USA customers. It is disabled for the rest of the world.
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:36 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
it sucks to hear that a few people with the RVOSDV5 are having problems...its kinda stoping me from getting one at this point
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:51 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
it sucks to hear that a few people with the RVOSDV5 are having problems...its kinda stoping me from getting one at this point
I'm sorry? What problems? People are soo quick to jump to conclusions.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:16 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
I'm sorry? What problems? People are soo quick to jump to conclusions.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
I was on the RV forum and was reading that some people were having to send their OSD's back because they where faulty. bad gyros and what not. I could be wrong though I didnt read too much into it.
debating on what osd route to go with. I ruled out eagletree(I think) Its either the RVOSDV5 or the EZosd with the ruby.
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:44 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
can the balance port of the 6s battery be used for this only using the first three cells ?
what if the camera is only 5v ?

thanks

I do it this way, and when I charge the Lipo I balance it each time.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
my Gen5 has just landed .

i'm doing all cables etc. One question: i have 12v cam & tx and a 4s motor setup.
Does the 12v rail on Gen5 is regulated or not? If i hook a 4s setup on the video connector, do i burn anything?
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Alex/elcheapo

Thanks

Mark
Yes it will, but you have to make sure the AHI is working as it should. So do few take off with stabilization OFF, after you have are sure the AHI is not affected by vibrations, you can launch in fly by wire mode. Also is better that you get used to the way FBW works, because the difference could cause you to make fast over-corrections if you are not used to it.
On this video I launched the maxi with FBW mode enabled.
Frsky+1W amplifier+patch, 10km. (3 min 7 sec)
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Last edited by Elcheapo; Jul 06, 2011 at 11:39 AM.