HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:40 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Thanks very much. Elcheapo says to remove it because it may fail at some point if the light gets too bright in the video signal...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:40 AM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
@ Ommadawn,

Yes, I'm familiar with the card programmer. I had hopes that the system could be configured with a laptop or tablet or even a smartphone.. I'm also still wondering if its compatible with PCM G3... I have a 1400 dollar radio that I have to "de-tune" to use with all this new fancy OSD and Autopilot stuff!..

Maybe someone with some RF knowledge can explain why all these systems have to run with PPM instead of PCM...

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:54 AM
Viuz La Chiesaz
Joined Nov 2006
37 Posts
Rvosd Sequencer

Hi everybody

For those who like to enter way point easier...

try the Rvosd Sequencer that can be downloaded here :

http://dl.free.fr/hP6uINRm7

Let the user empty
the password is : RvosdSequencer

Hope you will like it,

Have a nice day,

Pascal
pouascail is offline Find More Posts by pouascail
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:09 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
I have a 1400 dollar radio that I have to "de-tune" to use with all this new fancy OSD and Autopilot stuff!..

Maybe someone with some RF knowledge can explain why all these systems have to run with PPM instead of PCM...

Myron
PPM simplifies the install on 99% of radios. You can use PCM if you want.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:21 PM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
@ Scooter... Yes, I have several radios.. Hitec 5 channel, Futaba Super8UA, Futaba 9C, and the Futaba 12Z.. The 12Z basically has unlimited aircraft stores and functionality. I would just like to run my new G3 Rx's in my planes. Sure I can select any channel and run any RX thats not 2.4SS but thats not the point.. The way I see it, the G3 is the least crowded band out there and probabaly the most reliable and this is what I would like to use..

How can I use the PCM, this is the first I have heard of it?

Myron
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:31 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Run your Tx/Rx any way you like and use short jumpers to each channel on the OSD. That would be your PCM setup on the OSD.

If running a video Tx with your 2.4, your range will be shortened. Mose run FM or long range UHF to get much longer range with their aircraft.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:00 PM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
I'm basically trying to decide which system to buy, the ET OSD PRO+ Guardian or This RVOSD5.. Both systems have pros and cons for me and it may come down to which system is fully compatible with the PCM G3 2048.. I feel that the PCM G3 2048 is the least crowded band, same with the 5.8.. This is the combo I want to run as long as all the components are compatible.. I am not super concerned with extra long range on the TX just yet... most cases we fly would be less than 2/3 mile anyway so stock R/C gear is no problem...

Myron
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:18 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
I feel that the PCM G3 2048 is the least crowded band, same with the 5.8.. This is the combo I want to run as long as all the components are compatible..
Im a little confused. Why exactly do you want or need 2048 control with FPV? When flying FPV the ultra sensitive control does no good. Oh, when flying FPV, a mile can only take seconds.

Both OSD's have Fail Safe Auto Pilots, so if you have a problem with range the plane will turn around. I just feel like your making things harder than they need be. An FM 72 radio will get you out 4-7 miles. Scoot
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:26 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
I am not up on the current Futaba systems but isn't G3 2.4Ghz? If so, it is probably the most crowded right now.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:01 PM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
@ Scoot,

I may be making things more difficult, but since I have the high res G3 system that has the ability to change frequency at will(plus all the other features) I would like to put it to use. How often do you see anyone flying with a 12Z system?.. How often do you see one at a hobby shop? How many people spend 1400 bones on a radio?.. Basically, everyone has switched over to a SS 2.4 which doesnt have the range of a 72 Mhz system and its 2.4 freq is WAY over-crowded. For the FPV guys that are going for longer range, they are going with UHF on 433/or 900Mhz and up to 1300 === more crowding. The lower the frequency, the longer the range. I feel that if I stick with 72Mhz PCM on the R/C and jump to 5.8 on the video, I'm avoiding alot of potential interference...

@ RC Mike... No, the 2.4 systems are NOT 2048 G3 resolution...

Myron
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:15 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Oh, so it is 72mhz like regular PCM is. 72 is much better for FPV than 2.4. The resolution isn't really that important with FPV.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:30 PM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
No, the resolution is not that important being most FPV planes are super stable trainers anyway. Yes, PCM G3 is 72 mhz but the resolution of the signal is double the standard PCM of 1024... Most of my gear is current PCM and PCM G3 and its apparently NOT compatible with some OSD systems out there.. I cant make it work with my ET OSD..

Myron
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouascail View Post
Hi everybody

Let the user empty

Hope you will like it,

Have a nice day,

Pascal
Rock on!!!
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
@ Ommadawn,

Yes, I'm familiar with the card programmer. I had hopes that the system could be configured with a laptop or tablet or even a smartphone.. I'm also still wondering if its compatible with PCM G3... I have a 1400 dollar radio that I have to "de-tune" to use with all this new fancy OSD and Autopilot stuff!..

Myron

Not much to do with RF, it's just a legacy thing we are still dealing with. PPM was the way it was done forever and everyone used it. When PCM methods cam around there was no standard for it and so there are lots of different kinds out there. Most of the long range UHF makers didn't want to bother with, so most OSD makers don't want to bother with it either.

Edit: Keep in mind you can use pretty much ANY kind of radio/Rx with RVOSD. You just jump the servo lines in from your Rx. PPM is an alternate method if your Rx has a PPM stream out. It only saves you a few wires is all.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:10 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouascail View Post
Hi everybody

Let the user empty

Hope you will like it,

Have a nice day,

Pascal
It keeps telling me, that it want a username
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower