HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
Can anyone tell me why even with the rvosd Gen 4 I still find it a challenge to get a gps lock? or better yet, can any of you experts tell me what the major criteria are to get a good gps fix???? tx location, clear sky? i think my problem may be that i launch from a site that faces northeast at the side of a hilly landscape and has many trees........any help appreciated (and advice?)
If you can make up an extension lead for your GPS module and move it as far away from everything as you can it will really help. I made a 500mm lead and put mine out on the tailplane. I also made the lead long enough to wrap it around a ferrite half a dozen times. Sat Locks in <1 minute from cold.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
finaly got around to wiring up my zeph. I hooked up all the wires to the osd as I believe I should have, but my esc doesnt beep the servos move for a second when I plug in the batterys but other than that...nothing. any ideas on how to get going?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:15 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
finaly got around to wiring up my zeph. I hooked up all the wires to the osd as I believe I should have, but my esc doesnt beep the servos move for a second when I plug in the batterys but other than that...nothing. any ideas on how to get going?
I guess your ESC works just fine, without the current sensor/OSD connected. Are you using PPM ?

Does you ESC works normal, if you keep the current sensor between your lipo and ESC, but unplug the current sensor from the OSD ?
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
I have control of the elevrons now just no power to the motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I guess your ESC works just fine, without t
he current sensor/OSD connected. Are you using PPM ?

Does you ESC works normal, if you keep the current sensor between your lipo and ESC, but unplug the current sensor from the OSD ?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
620 Posts
Are you using PPM ?
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
yea, futaba 9c set to ppm with DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
Are you using PPM ?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
Vibrations are killing it though. Not much places to put the rvosd on a wing though.

You sure you got the latest firmware? They pretty much fixed all vibration issues for me when it came out. It's only a few weeks old so you may have gotten the board before the update.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
You sure you got the latest firmware? They pretty much fixed all vibration issues for me when it came out. It's only a few weeks old so you may have gotten the board before the update.
I can double check upon start up. I know it said firmware 5.06 though. I'd need the pickit too anyhow.
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Can you please help me with the following questions :

1. I have Gen4 with latest firmware. If I only connect 5V battery pack to the current sensor port - the RVOSD won't start. My gen5 (I have 2 RVOSDs) does start at this conditions. The gen4 will only start if I connect the 5V pack to Auxiliary Batt.
Why is that ?

2.If I want to power up the RVOSD from my main lipo, does it take the power from the + - of the current sensor port or does it uses my ubec 5V that comes from the receiver ?
Can I power the receiver without ubec, so the RVOSD will provide the 5V for the receiver and servos ?

3. Can I power up the entire system from 4S lipo ? The manual says to use max of 3S lipo. Does this mean I have to use different video lipo?

p.s
My lowest jumper is set to enable main battery

Hope I didn't confuse you.
Sharon
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
OK guys quick poll question!

I have a G3 with a G5 upgrade board. I have been bench testing with my go pro as the camera without removing any resistors from the board and it all seems to be working fine (however I know when I had the G3 it all worked fine on the bench then out on the field it did its rolling trick, so I am not sure I trust the G5 yet!).

My question is, is anyone using a go pro on the G5 board without having to do any modifications? If you did do the mod, you removed the R11 resistor for the G5 right?

If it works as is, do I still need to remove the resistor just in case, or will it not hurt anything to leave as is? Thanks.
On the G5 is better to remove R11. As it is now it could work but bright scenes could make it fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
I need a better description of how you connected everything and the status of the different menu items. This could be caused by something not properly wired or a configuration issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Can you please help me with the following questions :

1. I have Gen4 with latest firmware. If I only connect 5V battery pack to the current sensor port - the RVOSD won't start. My gen5 (I have 2 RVOSDs) does start at this conditions. The gen4 will only start if I connect the 5V pack to Auxiliary Batt.
Why is that ?

2.If I want to power up the RVOSD from my main lipo, does it take the power from the + - of the current sensor port or does it uses my ubec 5V that comes from the receiver ?
Can I power the receiver without ubec, so the RVOSD will provide the 5V for the receiver and servos ?

3. Can I power up the entire system from 4S lipo ? The manual says to use max of 3S lipo. Does this mean I have to use different video lipo?

p.s
My lowest jumper is set to enable main battery

Hope I didn't confuse you.
Sharon
1-Probably at some stage you overloaded the OSD G4 voltage outputs at the Vtx or camera ports, while main battery was powering it. Still the OSD is not supposed to work with 5V, voltage input on both main and auxiliary inputs should be from 6 to 30Volts to keep the OSD running safe. However if you have Vtx or camera power outputs selected to 12V auxiliary battery must be 3S type.

2-The OSD takes power from +- of the current sensor or from auxiliary battery if connected. It lso power the Vtx and camera from those sources.
It does not provide neither it takes power to the servo Vcc rails. you have to use an external BEC for that.

3-You can use any battery combination from 2S to 6S if the OSD is set to provide 5V to both camera and Vtx, else you have to use either a single 3S battery to power the entire system or a different cell count main battery with a 3S battery on the auxiliary battery input, main battery jumper has to be set to disable on this case.
For a more detailed explanation of this you can read here: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...progress...%29
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Last edited by Elcheapo; Oct 31, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
On the G5 is better to remove R11. As it is now it could work but bright scenes could make it fail.

I need a better description of how you connected everything and the status of the different menu items. This could be caused by something not properly wired or a configuration issue.

1-Probably at some stage you overloaded the OSD G4 voltage outputs at the Vtx or camera ports, while main battery was powering it. Still the OSD is not supposed to work with 5V, voltage input on both main and auxiliary inputs should be from 6 to 30Volts to keep the OSD running safe. However if you have Vtx or camera power outputs selected to 12V auxiliary battery most be 3S type.

2-The OSD takes power from +- of the current sensor or from auxiliary battery if connected. It lso power the Vtx and camera from those sources.
It does not provide neither it takes power to the servo Vcc rails. you have to use an external BEC for that.

3-You can use any battery combination from 2S to 6S if the OSD is set to provide 5V to both camera and Vtx, else you have to use either a single 3S battery to power the entire system or a different cell count main battery with a 3S battery on the auxiliary battery input, main battery jumper has to be set to disable on this case.
For a more detailed explanation of this you can read here: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...progress...%29
got the throttle working got a few questions...

why cant I upload the newest firmware to my osd? everytime I try to upload to my picket 2 I get a "device error hex file not loaded" message

why do I get video a picture without plugging in my 3s aux batt? I thought the aux batt powers the vt and cam not the 4s main battery

also how do I display the aux batt voltage?
Last edited by imdone; Oct 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much Elcheapo. I appreciate it.
Gree is online now Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Pants View Post
I can double check upon start up. I know it said firmware 5.06 though. I'd need the pickit too anyhow.

5.06 is the one you want. My suggestion is that you fly a full flight with FBW activated and watch the AHI etc.

If you have no problems here, then RTH should be rock solid.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:49 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
why do I get video a picture without plugging in my 3s aux batt? I thought the aux batt powers the vt and cam not the 4s main battery
Read the instructions immediately. You are powering the Vtx and camera with full 4s voltage. If you want to use 4S battery for main you have to use a separate 3S aux battery, and set main battery jumper to disable.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:02 AM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Read the instructions immediately. You are powering the Vtx and camera with full 4s voltage. If you want to use 4S battery for main you have to use a separate 3S aux battery, and set main battery jumper to disable.
how do I set the main battery jumper to disable?