SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:37 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
So it can cause the AP to just fly in the wrong direction? I mean the flipping of the AHI only happened once it was fine after that.

And yes this board came with the latest firmware on it.

Coyle field FPV (5 min 10 sec)

You can see the crash here. I lost video out of no where and switched on autopilot. I'm grateful it flew it into the ground though.
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
You're grateful it flew it into the ground?!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
You're grateful it flew it into the ground?!
Instead of it completely not working and nose diving into the ground?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:17 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Adam where is the crash??
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Adam where is the crash??

LINK TO EXACT TIME

You'll notice the "twitch" which is when I engaged autopilot after my video cut out. I'm going to put the big heat sink back on my VTX for now.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Looks your cruise altitude setting caused it to fly into the ground. Hard to say though.

Have you done vibration tests? You should do at least 20 or 30 mins flying around at different throttle settings to make sure your AHI tracks the real horizon well.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
Looks your cruise altitude setting caused it to fly into the ground. Hard to say though.

Have you done vibration tests? You should do at least 20 or 30 mins flying around at different throttle settings to make sure your AHI tracks the real horizon well.
Yeah my PITA easycap stopped recording. I need to try a few different things to make sure it records the whole stupid flight. But you wouldn't see anything but the video cutting out. On the go pro you can tell when I hit the RTH switch. My very first RTH that day flew back to me and figure eights. floating down to 100 feet then climbing back to 200 feet then floating back down to 100 feet. I even took my goggles off. I set the throttle on the ground. I just need to get used to using the in flight menu. FBW is kinda scary. I need to do some tweaks. Should I maybe turn on thermopiles? Instead of setting AHI on the ground? Then set neutrals afterwords (post trimming etc).

I'm going to scour the videos I got real quick and see if I got my first RTH on video.

I'm going to put the stock heatsink back on my VTX and fly with it. I'm thinking perhaps my VTX overheated. As I remember that battery being pretty fresh. Though I seem to burn through new batteries pretty quick. pulling back about 40-47amps. Which will be changing soon hopefully anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
As a matter of fact. You can see the RTH working at this mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...jEWIbUQ#t=254s

This is the first time I tested it and it worked perfect. It was flying a figure eight over me and you can see when I take back over.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:54 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,886 Posts
You dont want to turn on thermopiles. You would have to get a pair of sensors, then connect them to the RVOSD. Then you would have a really neat Gen4.
If the RVOSD is installed level in the plane you wont need to set AHI neutral. It needs to be installed to be level when the plane is at its normal flying attitude. Imagine that the RVOSD wants to keep itself level with the ground and the horizon. If its not level in the plane, it doesnt care. It will keep itself level with the ground and the horizon, and if its not level in the plane then the plane loses out. I have shoehorned my Gen4/5 upgrade into a tight glass fuzz, on its side. It wasnt exactly straight and level. I then set the plane up level on the ground, set AHI neutral and (Important) saved the setting.
It is also a god idea to get comfortable with getting in and out of the menu setup too. Practice on the ground.
FBW should be comfortable, not scary.
Get the plane flying level and happy, then set neutrals. FBW should then be easy. When its sorted dont forget to save settings before powering off.
Perhaps you could try slope soaring. Its a great way to log relaxing hours without worrying about the plane disappearing into the distance, and you dont need to use much battery or motor.
Its a great system. Just relax, and you will be rewarded.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
You dont want to turn on thermopiles. You would have to get a pair of sensors, then connect them to the RVOSD. Then you would have a really neat Gen4.
If the RVOSD is installed level in the plane you wont need to set AHI neutral. It needs to be installed to be level when the plane is at its normal flying attitude. Imagine that the RVOSD wants to keep itself level with the ground and the horizon. If its not level in the plane, it doesnt care. It will keep itself level with the ground and the horizon, and if its not level in the plane then the plane loses out. I have shoehorned my Gen4/5 upgrade into a tight glass fuzz, on its side. It wasnt exactly straight and level. I then set the plane up level on the ground, set AHI neutral and (Important) saved the setting.
It is also a god idea to get comfortable with getting in and out of the menu setup too. Practice on the ground.
FBW should be comfortable, not scary.
Get the plane flying level and happy, then set neutrals. FBW should then be easy. When its sorted dont forget to save settings before powering off.
Perhaps you could try slope soaring. Its a great way to log relaxing hours without worrying about the plane disappearing into the distance, and you dont need to use much battery or motor.
Its a great system. Just relax, and you will be rewarded.
Cheers
Frank
I did just pop on a folding prop on my wing. So I look forward to doing more soaring. I think my issue is not saving my settings. Forget to do that a lot. I can navigate the menu no problem I just have to use a knob to either turn on RTH or to navigate the flight menu. Next time I'm going to trim set neutrals and set ahi while flying. I felt like I didn't have much control of the plane during FBW mode. Also I do have the board pretty level with the plane/horizon. Vibrations are killing it though. Not much places to put the rvosd on a wing though.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:17 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,886 Posts
FBW does stiffen up the plane a bit, just like any stabilization system. It takes a little getting used to. Makes me look much better than I am. Its great for landing in turbulence. Virtually hands off!
You can tweak it a bit though. Try increasing the maximum bank angle and pitch angles. I have mine set to 60 degrees bank and 45 degrees pitch.
Good luck
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
I love the smell of elapor....
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
Can anyone tell me why even with the rvosd Gen 4 I still find it a challenge to get a gps lock? or better yet, can any of you experts tell me what the major criteria are to get a good gps fix???? tx location, clear sky? i think my problem may be that i launch from a site that faces northeast at the side of a hilly landscape and has many trees........any help appreciated (and advice?)
MaximumBob is offline Find More Posts by MaximumBob
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumBob View Post
Can anyone tell me why even with the rvosd Gen 4 I still find it a challenge to get a gps lock? or better yet, can any of you experts tell me what the major criteria are to get a good gps fix???? tx location, clear sky? i think my problem may be that i launch from a site that faces northeast at the side of a hilly landscape and has many trees........any help appreciated (and advice?)
I had the same problem and put a ferrite ring on the camera wires and that fixed it. Before it would take 20 minutes to get a lock and now it takes maybe 2 or 3.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
I love the smell of elapor....
Setauket, New York
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
also i think that my use of the kx777 camera is a problem.....they say that one has the most noise and creates the most interference
MaximumBob is offline Find More Posts by MaximumBob
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
OK guys quick poll question!

I have a G3 with a G5 upgrade board. I have been bench testing with my go pro as the camera without removing any resistors from the board and it all seems to be working fine (however I know when I had the G3 it all worked fine on the bench then out on the field it did its rolling trick, so I am not sure I trust the G5 yet!).

My question is, is anyone using a go pro on the G5 board without having to do any modifications? If you did do the mod, you removed the R11 resistor for the G5 right?

If it works as is, do I still need to remove the resistor just in case, or will it not hurt anything to leave as is? Thanks.

Anyone?
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree