HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:19 PM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
El Cheapo & Spookie, no there's no way to use PPM with the lousy Spektrum DX-7 I have.
The more I think about this radio the more I hate it, I wanna switch to UHF but I'll be an outlaw in my country.
I dunno what to do.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
El Cheapo & Spookie, no there's no way to use PPM with the lousy Spektrum DX-7 I have.
The more I think about this radio the more I hate it, I wanna switch to UHF but I'll be an outlaw in my country.
I dunno what to do.
be an outlaw.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
SX_
.........lost..........
Zambia, Lusaka, Lusaka
Joined Jun 2005
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
be an outlaw.
+1
SX_ is offline Find More Posts by SX_
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Have you ever drove over the speed limit? Your already an outlaw.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
lrrps

You can still use it with single servo wires for all controls. Just plug the rudder wires in the aileron spots and the aileron wires in the rudder spots. Plug in the rest of the wire in the corresponding places.

Do the "rc wizard" on the bench, Set current throttle failsafe on transmitter. Go into menu and on menu screen 4 go to "enable auto pilot" and make sure it says "Yes-RTH".

Once this in done Set the failsafe on the RC tx to 120%, or turn everything on and move your throttle trim up till the rth comes on on the osd screen and then set fail safes while the RTH indicator is on. (prop removed). Now set the trim back to normal and turn the remote off. The RTH indicator should come on.

Save configuration.

Now go fly and set trims for hands off level flight, go into flight menu and set neutrals, and then land. Do the rc wizard again right after landing.

Save configuation

You should now have a level flying plane now in FBW and one that will return to home. Go fly and test. Be high and ready to turn the autopilot function off if the plane acts wierd. Also to test RTH don't turn the rc remote off, use the menu option first. If you do it by turning the remote off, and there is a problem, it may take to long for the rc to reconnect with the rx. Once you do the test via the menu and switch and find that it works then test by turning the remote off.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Last edited by man2000me; Oct 24, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
When you turnoff the RC on the ground, what happens to your rudder? Are the RVOSD failsafes set? I think theRVOSD FS controls the rudder when you lose RC. Perhaps it wasnt set to neutral?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
for all the dummies out there ...

at the risk of restating the obvious, and for all the other wiring dummies out there, i'll take one for the team: so i need 2 servo cables for each control surface, correct (unless I'm using PPM)?

receiver elevator out --------------------> rvosd PPM1 input/Elevator Input
rvosd OUT1/Elevator Output ---------------> elevator servo

receiver rudder out -------------------> rvosd OUT7/Rudder Input
rvosd OUT4/Rudder Output---------------> rudder servo

motor --------> thunderbird 36a ESC --------> rvosd current sensor --------> 3S 3500mah battery
rvosd current sensor --------> rvosd current sensor/main batt input

thunderbird 36a ESC --------> rvosd OUT6/Throttle input

Second 3S 850 AV battery --------> rvosd Aux. Batt.

Is the the correct standard configuration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post
Yes wiring outputs are ok. However you have to wire inputs or assign correct ppm channels. Run the wizard following the instructions properly. And not modify the defaults unless you know what are you doing .
not sure what this means ... I've got a DX8 and easystar with rudder + elevator only ...
gitcho is offline Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Brain fart. Stand by...

But that sounds right. You can test by putting the osd in fwb mode and moving the model around by hand. The control surfaces should react accordingly.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Last edited by man2000me; Oct 24, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Should I hook up a Ubec to my system? Or would it be pointless with the OSD?
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
The OSD does not provide power to the servo power rail. So yes you have to provide a BEC, either separated or integrated on the ESC.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:34 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
The OSD does not provide power to the servo power rail. So yes you have to provide a BEC, either separated or integrated on the ESC.
Thanks I'll do that then. Just ordered one.
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:18 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
Have you ever drove over the speed limit? Your already an outlaw.
Yes, like anyone else I did but it pissed me off to pay the fines (45 euros on the highway or 90 euro in city limits) worse here they remove 3 points out of the original 12 points you own, each time you got caught overspeeding, once all your points are gone they remove your driver's license.
Now I dive like an 80 y/o grandpa.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:19 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
Brain fart. Stand by...

But that sounds right. You can test by putting the osd in fwb mode and moving the model around by hand. The control surfaces should react accordingly.
They do on my plane, works great in the air on FBW mode.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:24 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
lrrps

You can still use it with single servo wires for all controls. Just plug the rudder wires in the aileron spots and the aileron wires in the rudder spots. Plug in the rest of the wire in the corresponding places.

Do the "rc wizard" on the bench, Set current throttle failsafe on transmitter. Go into menu and on menu screen 4 go to "enable auto pilot" and make sure it says "Yes-RTH".

Once this in done Set the failsafe on the RC tx to 120%, or turn everything on and move your throttle trim up till the rth comes on on the osd screen and then set fail safes while the RTH indicator is on. (prop removed). Now set the trim back to normal and turn the remote off. The RTH indicator should come on.

Save configuration.

Now go fly and set trims for hands off level flight, go into flight menu and set neutrals, and then land. Do the rc wizard again right after landing.

Save configuation

You should now have a level flying plane now in FBW and one that will return to home. Go fly and test. Be high and ready to turn the autopilot function off if the plane acts wierd. Also to test RTH don't turn the rc remote off, use the menu option first. If you do it by turning the remote off, and there is a problem, it may take to long for the rc to reconnect with the rx. Once you do the test via the menu and switch and find that it works then test by turning the remote off.
Thanks man2000me but why swapping the rudder & aileron wires, can you elaborate pls?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:30 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho View Post
at the risk of restating the obvious, and for all the other wiring dummies out there, i'll take one for the team: so i need 2 servo cables for each control surface, correct (unless I'm using PPM)?

receiver elevator out --------------------> rvosd PPM1 input/Elevator Input
rvosd OUT1/Elevator Output ---------------> elevator servo

receiver rudder out -------------------> rvosd OUT7/Rudder Input
rvosd OUT4/Rudder Output---------------> rudder servo

motor --------> thunderbird 36a ESC --------> rvosd current sensor --------> 3S 3500mah battery
rvosd current sensor --------> rvosd current sensor/main batt input

thunderbird 36a ESC --------> rvosd OUT6/Throttle input

Second 3S 850 AV battery --------> rvosd Aux. Batt.

Is the the correct standard configuration?

not sure what this means ... I've got a DX8 and easystar with rudder + elevator only ...
You can save weight by using a voltage regulator to power the AV, no need for a second battery.