HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
Just to be sure about the difference between Stabilizaton and Autopilot. Stabilizaton is where the plane helps you control the plane, and this type of stabilization is selected in the menu - right ? Autopilot, is where the plane take total control of the plane - and this is activated by using a 3-position-switch, or turning off the Tx - right ?

Don't freak out about having to control the menu with the same sticks as you control flight. I was worried about it as well but it ends up being no problem.

As for stabilization vs Autopilot:

Think of it this way. There are 4 modes that RVOSD can be in.

Normal: The RVOSD does nothing for you flight wise, it just displays stuff on the screen
Fly By Wire: This is the stabilization mode, you still fly the plane, it just stabilizes things for you.
Heading Hold: RVOSD is flying for you, but you manage throttle
Position Hold: RVOSD is flying for you, but you manage throttle
Waypoint Sequencer: RVOSD is flying for you.
RTH: RVOSD is flying for you

You choose which mode you want in the menu. You can do this on the ground before you launch.

When you are ready you toggle the Aux switch and the selected mode becomes active. Toggle the switch again and it deactivates.

But no matter what, if things go wrong and you lose control link. The RVOSD goes into RTH mode. (Assuming you have configured the failsafe correctly)
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:01 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post

You choose which mode you want in the menu. You can do this on the ground before you launch.

When you are ready you toggle the Aux switch and the selected mode becomes active. Toggle the switch again and it deactivates.

But no matter what, if things go wrong and you lose control link. The RVOSD goes into RTH mode. (Assuming you have configured the failsafe correctly)
Thanks

I thought that by using the Aux switch, I could switch between all types of stabilization/autopilot. But I can see that I can only assign one stabilization/autopilot mode at the time, to the Aux switch.

I think I'll have RTH set to the Aux switch, and choose FBW before lanuch.
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:38 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
I think you would be better served having FBW set on the aux switch to start with. Dont worry about RTH just yet. You need to get experience flying with the OSD, getting in and out of flight modes and changing screens. If you toggle the FBW on and the plane keeps flying ok, then most likely RTH will work if you need it. Get used to flying in FBW mode. Its quite different from what you are used to. Theres plenty of time to get RTH running later.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:57 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
617 Posts
That sounds like a good advice, about getting used to FBW first.

I have done a ground test for vibration, but I'm not sure that the test was good enough. So I would like to do an airborne vibration-test, to see if it gets better

But is FBW just as sensitive to vibration as RTH is ? or should I get more control of the vibrations before trying any of the stabilization/autopilot modes ?
SpookiePower is online now Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
I would say not to worry too much about it, i made one flight with my rvosd5 and i got to test every mode, even waypoint seeking.

it may look indimidating at first but it's really easy, once you get the hang of it it's really fast to go trough the menu in flight
yanickr1973 is offline Find More Posts by yanickr1973
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
The stabilization is the same for all flight modes. You can fly without any of the stabilization modes active and watch to see how accurately the AHI tracks the horizon.
If it looks ok, then switch on FBW. You can always turn it off if it freaks out. Obviously get your vibes the best you can. I have a plane that is really tight for room, and cant take all of the vibration abatement measures that I would like. The bar graphs indicate high levels, but it still works well.
Just remember which way to flick the 3 position switch.
Also you need to remember to return the switch to centre after each operation. This is important. I am even thinking of installing a 3 pos switch with a spring return to centre.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quick question: Can the rvosd RTH work on multicopters or is it just designed for planes?
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:14 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
there is a vid of a quad with it on, obviously RTH doesnt work .... but the stablization looked pretty good
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:51 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
its possible use the IMU of rvosd5 to stabilize a pan/tilt camera while flying too?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:15 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
I reckon Alex has that one on his to-do list. I think he mentioned that capability was coming eventually. I just dont want to sidetrack him away from the GS.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
690 Posts
HI all> today I went out and tested my rvosd, but am having a problem with the rth. Everything i flip on Rth it goes toward home and when it gets to about 2000 feet away it starts doing circles like 1/5th of a mile away around 1000feet away from home. Why is it doing this? I thought it was suppose to do circles above my home location. Thanks!
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Do you have a video of the flight?
Maybe it lost GPS signal.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Do you have a video of the flight?
Maybe it lost GPS signal.
I know it didnt lose gps because it still had the arrow to home and gps cordinates at the top. This is gen4 with Ir heads btw.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Then you have to make sure the AHI is working properly, else try the AHI equalization menu.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
690 Posts
I know the ahi is working because I have the ahi showing when I fly. I lines up great with the horizon when level and in a bank. Where is the rth suppose to circle and how far away from home does it do it?