HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:25 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Kev,

It would be same answer you got over at the Range forum:-)

You really need a monitor to see the mode you are in and to set it up. I tried it without a camera and the only reliable method of using RTL is to turn off the transmitter but you still need someway to see the menus and that is with a downlink or a monitor hooked up directly.
I nearly pulled the wings off my SW trying to get it out of an autopilot mode I did not realize I got into without a downlink.
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:56 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
834 Posts
so if you loose video what happens? you have to close the radio TX??
i ask before if you can choose the flight modes and a specific button into the tx for RTH in case video loss
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:21 AM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Yes, you can select rth as a mode you will get when selecting it with a switch. You can make this preset even while in flight.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:34 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Hi all
I'm a total newbie to the RVOSD 5. I bought it for the autopilot & RTH features and intend to go FPV later.
Reading the manual it looks like I will need connection to a monitor or goggles to access the menus
Is this correct or can I set up for autopilot & RTH without going the full FPV?

Thanks for any help

Kev
@hobbyboy:
Yes but i would like to start with RVOSD just like Berkie. 3rd person flight and engage rth for test.. is this hard.?. What exactly is the behaviour of the plane while is on a rth mode?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:11 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Yes you need connection to monitor or goggles to access the menu. I don't recommend to use RVOSD in 3rd person view with autopilot activated. Set the OSD to output failsafes on the Enable autopilot: menu item. Or you can also connect servos direct to Rx.
Flying on 3rd person you could enter the menu accidentally losing control of the plane or toggle autopilot mode. It can be done after you have your gear configured and you feel comfortable with RVOSD, but it is not possible to get used to RVOSD starting in 3rd person.
Thanks Elcheapo. Sorry, but what is 3rd PV? Once I understand that I can follow thru on the other advice you have given me
Regards
Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:16 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
Kev,

It would be same answer you got over at the Range forum:-)

You really need a monitor to see the mode you are in and to set it up. I tried it without a camera and the only reliable method of using RTL is to turn off the transmitter but you still need someway to see the menus and that is with a downlink or a monitor hooked up directly.
I nearly pulled the wings off my SW trying to get it out of an autopilot mode I did not realize I got into without a downlink.
Thanks hobbyboy. What would a downlink be
It is starting to sound like that one usually goes full FPV from the start with an OSD system. Is that right?

BTW didn't see any response from RV forum. Must get over there now & check it out. That was the first time I used it & looks like you don't get an email when a reply comes in.

Regards
Kev
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Thanks Elcheapo. Sorry, but what is 3rd PV? Once I understand that I can follow thru on the other advice you have given me
Regards
Kev
3rd person view is normal RC flying without camera and video gear.

I did my first flights with RVOSD mostly 3rd person but I had a video downlink available so I could see what was going on etc. If you try and use RVOSD without a video downlink you are asking for a disaster.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:19 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Last edited by Kev.au; Aug 09, 2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Beat me
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:31 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
3rd person view is normal RC flying without camera and video gear.

I did my first flights with RVOSD mostly 3rd person but I had a video downlink available so I could see what was going on etc. If you try and use RVOSD without a video downlink you are asking for a disaster.
Thanks Bushman. So what comprises a video downlink may I ask?
Kev
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:32 AM
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
834 Posts
3rd person is the ordinary flying
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:06 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,991 Posts
Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts Alex!
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc9n View Post
@hobbyboy:
Yes but i would like to start with RVOSD just like Berkie. 3rd person flight and engage rth for test.. is this hard.?. What exactly is the behaviour of the plane while is on a rth mode?
Under RTH the airplane will fly to a place you first initiated the osd ( home). It will not fly a pre set speed (that is coming) but a preset power setting to maintain an altitude. That power setting will be determined by your altitude that you set for RTH and if you are above or below it during RTH. You do not have control of the airplane while it is in the RTH mode. There are 2 ways that I know of to initiate RTH. One is via a preset using a switch that you select while you are under radio control or by failsafe. I prefer failsafe and just turn off my radio for return to home. It allows me to have another mode selected on my autopilot preset but you can also change this setting inflight if you have a downlink ( video picture).

You do not have to fly fpv with this osd or any other osd for that matter. You should have a video downlink so you can tune your autopilot functions and verify the status of what you are doing with an autopilot mode. That could be a video displayed on a small LCD screen for that matter.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
There are 2 ways that I know of to initiate RTH. One is via a preset using a switch that you select while you are under radio control or by failsafe. I prefer failsafe and just turn off my radio for return to home.
There is a third way also, you can set a "throttle kill" switch to simulate a failsafe making RVOSD to take over and drive home.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Great way to do it. I assume you would set the throttle kill to 120% if you have the failsafe set to above normal? I guess you could also just use a mix if you don't have that feature to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Bob
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
You can also set RVOSD to detect failsafe bellow normal range.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo