HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 AM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
887 Posts
Hey guys, notched up a few hours on the rvosd now and have moved onto a bigger airframe (penguin)
For sometime now I've noticed the temp gauge sits at -111 to -113 ?
Doesn't affect flight performance at all and lots of reboots of the rvosd doesn't change a thing ?
Any ideas?
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
S.R.V.
United States, FL, Melbourne Beach
Joined Nov 2012
34 Posts
Just ordered my first RVOSDv5.1!

Can't wait, it should be a nice upgrade from my old Cyclops storm!
krytikul is offline Find More Posts by krytikul
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:12 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Hi guys,
FPV Flying with scale platform is one of my dream. I have just finished a space walker and put the fpv gear with airspeed sensor on it.

How bad idea is putting the pitot lines on the wing. Do you thing it will affect the flight dramatically ??
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361121043.370086.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 54.1 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361121057.139586.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 33.5 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361121070.258572.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 52.9 KB
Description:
Cheers
Firat
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
It wont affect flight characteristic too much
However, the pitot tube wont be functional there because it is too close to the wing leading edge.
Put it at least 2'' in front of the leading edge at or lower than the intrados.
Have a look at what full scale does.
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Yes, put in front of the leading edge and also, I am no expert on that, but I think you should run the lines inside the wing. The way you have it now, will cause airflow separation due to turbulence and lose of wing lift. Can't tell how much this will be noticeable in flight tho.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:11 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Thanks Guys,
Of course the best way it to run the lines inside the wing. I will do it if my way will mke trouble in flight. I am not good at constrution that is why I chosen this easy way. Probaply I will destroy the wing if i try it )
I will let you know how it went after fly.
Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:41 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
One more question.
I use flaperon on my model. I believe RVOSD supports two aileron servos but how should make the set up ?
Thanks
Firat
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:54 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Hey Firat,
If you do intend to run the tubes across the wing on the outside, run them on the under surface. It causes less problems. Also tape along them to smooth out the airflow a little
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
Hey Alex,
I noticed that my external speed sensor reads ok up to 127 degrees F, but then it stops at 128F and reads -128F and no more. Im using it to keep track of my ESC case temp. Is this a firmware limit for the sensor input? If so, its not really high enough as Im flying currently in 100F ambient.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
I have both Cyclops Storm and RVOSD,
Difficult to compare, RVOSD have all the bells and whistles but I find the firmware not stable.
Cyclops Storm is much simpler to use and still bring your airplane back.
It does not make good use of altitude like the RVOSD. Throttle is always on.
Upgrade, it depends on intended use.
Not having a stable firmware is a big deal breaker for me.
I plan to downgrade my firmware one step, my friend with this firmware does no have such problem
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
michelcote, what firmware do you have that's unstable, and what issues are you having with it?

I just recently got my first RVOSD, a 5.1 with 5.06/5.09 firmwares, and love it! I've had a few OSDs before, and as far as form and function, I absolutely love the RVOSD over the rest. (I've had/have Skylark Tiny and Dianmu, EzOSD, and a Dragon OSD+ V2) My one and only complaint so far is that my barometer stopped working after 4 flights, was dead for the 5th. (Reading 0C/32F, and 0ft altitude when barometer was selected, GPS alt. worked fine) I can't really call it a flaw though, I know these things happen, and Alex was quick to help on the RV forum, and Range Video was pretty fast in getting me an RMA number to send it back. I was impressed with the OSD and their customer service enough that I ordered a second OSD the same day I got the RMA# for the first.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
The temperature sensor should measure up to 240F I will check if I changed anything on the latest firmware that could cause this.
I have received reports of bugs, but on all history of RVOSD(4 years) never had instability reports. The firmware is solid, bugs reported were related to initialization issues, but never affected the stability.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:03 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
I have two RVOSD 5 and they are stable. Further the assistance of Alex and Vova in the forum is very good. So, sorry I disagree with you...
While some of my friends complain about Cyclops OSD that sometime goes in crash during the flight.
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 AM
Push'n the limits
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
Hey guys, notched up a few hours on the rvosd now and have moved onto a bigger airframe (penguin)
For sometime now I've noticed the temp gauge sits at -111 to -113 ?
Doesn't affect flight performance at all and lots of reboots of the rvosd doesn't change a thing ?
Any ideas?
Hi Acky,

The internal temp in my V5 has stopped reading in my fascination. Its only 6-7hrs old.
Im unsure why, it was working one day and not the next... now it just sits on 0Deg.

Everything seems to still be behaving and I even flew another hour flight but I wasnt wiling to risk it any longer, I posted the question on the RV forum with no luck getting an answer so I had to buy a new one, About to go through the pain of setting it all up again.

Dont know if its worth sending it back or just using it in something cheaper.

Chris.
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:33 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,997 Posts
By all means send it back. RV service is inexpensive and fast. Unfortunately you cant do too much about the postage time, but I have sent back multiple times, as I have 4 of em!
Expect a turnaround from OZ of 4-5 weeks.