HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklander View Post
Why Don't you buy the usd key to put the good firmware of the rvosd ?

The firmware is available on the rvsosd forum.. .
I'm a bit confused now - Do I have to pay extra, to get the waypoints to work, outside USA ?
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:51 PM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Waypoint autopilot is disabled for any unit sent out of the USA. As far as I know RangeVideo will not provide the code to unlock waypoint autopilot unless you live in the states. If this is why you are buying the RVOSD you should get confirmation from Alex or Vova before purchase. You can still navigate with the waypoints manually which is a still a very good option.

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:19 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
I disagree, I use airspeed all the time with ground speed to let me know what speed & direction the winds are doing. I live in kansas & the wind always blows here. I've seen 15 mph headwind at take off to 500 then 0 wind Fromm 500ft to 1200ft. Then 5 mph tailwind up to 3200 ft. So I use it to let me know some more info to better use my battery energy. Also it is a good way to figure out stall speed & most efficient speeds to cruise at.
Marc
I actually never thought of this yet until I read your comment: if the OSD had an airspeed sensor then it could, besides simply telling what the airspeed is, also continuously estimate the real wind speed and direction at the altitude you are flying based on GPS ground speed + direction, magnetic heading, and airspeed. That's what you're doing mentally. Sometimes wind gradients are quite strong and direction can vary considerably with altitude, so even though it's a nice to have niche feature, it could prove useful when flying long distances.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
I am one of the few people doing FPV beyond 20km. None of us used airspeed indicator. The way I track my path is by using RVOSD radar screen with waypoints marked along my desired path.
About finding the best motor power vs distance traveled. The way I do is by setting enough thrust to keep the plane flying without loosing altitude, also by reading the "estimated distance left" indicator, which calculate maximum range based on battery capacity left, ground speed, actual current consumption and glide ratio.
Of course airspeed could give a very important data if there is headwind or tailwind. This is why RVOSD G5 will have the option to add airspeed soon, I am working on that.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:43 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I am one of the few people doing FPV beyond 20km.
Of course airspeed could give a very important data if there is headwind or tailwind. This is why RVOSD G5 will have the option to add airspeed soon, I am working on that.
Then you're the right person to ask a question I've had for quite a while:
Is RVOSD smart enough to fly in a straight line using RTH with cross wind, or does it just point the aircraft's nose towards home and fly back in a comma shaped track like this:

B.t.w. I'm happy to even have a RTH feature, I don't mean to sound picky.

Your last comment is interesting. It'll be nice if the deduced wind speed+direction indication I mentioned previously is included along with the airspeed addition.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Comma shaped, that's correct. It will always try to point home thus it is expected to work like that.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Comma shaped, that's correct. It will always try to point home thus it is expected to work like that.
I assume that if you set multiple waypoints along the "intended" line it would deviate less from the intended path ?
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
RTH mode does not use waypoints. BTW it is "funny" to get the autopilot called "not smart enough" after all the work I had done to it. All I can say is that if you follow the configuration steps on the manual it will take almost any airplane back to home safely, on any weather condition you can also flight manually.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
I really don't care about airspeed being displayed on the OSD but will you integrate airspeed data for controlling the throttle such as minimum airspeed or target cruise speed?

Thanks,
Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Yes, that's on plans. The way it is now is more dumb proof, there is more things that can go wrong on the autopilot having airspeed control, like wrong settings, clogged pitot, unplugged hose...
But I will make it selectable for people that do know what are they doing.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Qa

Neutron bombardment zapped mine. LOL
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Last edited by EarthOrbiter; Jul 20, 2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Resolved
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:12 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Waypoint autopilot is disabled for any unit sent out of the USA. As far as I know RangeVideo will not provide the code to unlock waypoint autopilot unless you live in the states. If this is why you are buying the RVOSD you should get confirmation from Alex or Vova before purchase. You can still navigate with the waypoints manually which is a still a very good option.

Mark
What is the reason for disabling this waypoint-autopilot function, outside USA ? Living outside USA as I do, I still pay the same price as people inside USA, but gets less functions.

I have already bought the RVOSD, not just because of the waypoint-autopilot, but still, I would really like this function to work.-
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
What is the reason for disabling this waypoint-autopilot function, outside USA ?
US Law. Something to do with exporting certain types of technology.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:24 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
My IMU board came today! Upgrading my 4.0 to 5.0!

It looks nicely done.

There's a small battery soldered to the board. I wonder what's that for??
I mean, you must wonder what happens when the battery runs out right?

Thanks for the fast shipping Vova.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:27 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneobear View Post
There's a small battery soldered to the board. I wonder what's that for??
I mean, you must wonder what happens when the battery runs out right?
That's a second video battery, so better make sure it never runs out ...

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)