sancho28 is online now Find More Posts by sancho28
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
First you need to check that the pinout for the BEVRC camera is the same as the DX201. Not all camera plugs are wired the same. If you have the original BEVRC lead, use a multimeter to check that the +, - and video wires are the same as the DX201 plug. I assume the camera is actually native 5v, with a 12v reg in line. If you remove the reg then RVOSD needs to be jumpered for cam 5v.
If you are using the cameras inline regulator then the camera supply needs to be 12v. The regulator will drop it to 5v. So make sure the camera jumper is at 5v on RVOSD, if the DX201 plug pinout is the same and you use that lead.
If you run 3s main pack then you set the RVOSD main battery jumper to "enable". This supplies the Vtx, and camera pins with either 12v or 5v depending on what you have the jumpers set to.
When you run 4s then you need to set the main battery jumper to "disable", and provide an alternate 12v supply for the VTx and camera. Otherwise you will fry them with the higher voltage. For simplicity I always try to keep to a single voltage for the whole show, so I use 3s and 12v everything. I have fried cameras and Vtxs too often.
The manual states to remove the main jumper which now caused me to get confused...so do i set the jumper to disable position or completely remove the jumper to run my 4s?

Anyone please verify who is running 4s and 12v cam and tx
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Set the jumper to disable position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01 View Post
The manual states to remove the main jumper which now caused me to get confused...so do i set the jumper to disable position or completely remove the jumper to run my 4s?

Anyone please verify who is running 4s and 12v cam and tx
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
appreciate the response cabster...mine is shinked wrapped i guess i have to remove the top wrap and remove the top board to get to the jumper....right?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
831 Posts
No but be very careful not to knock off the small components on the other board.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,867 Posts
RV recommend removing the wrap and splitting the boards to change jumpers, unless you are very careful as damage can occur. Remove or disable is the same thing. Disable takes jumper out of cct. Less chance of losing the jumper if its still sits on the PCB though.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
Thanks gents...that makes sense. Gonna go ahead and connect everything, well be back for more question.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Change is good...
Connecticut
Joined Mar 2008
802 Posts
I find it very odd that you have jumpers to run your camera or VTX at 5 or 12v...BUT, you have to run a 3s for your main pack. Doesn't make much sense to me..

I run 2x 4s3300 packs and want to run my VTX and CAm at 12V but am limited to 5v for each. I have no room for an additional 3s pack in order to have 12v.

BUT, I can set my BEC to 12v, connect it to the aux battery port and remove the jumper to "disable" main battery.. Then I can have 12v on my cam and VTX.. I now have to see how many volts my servos will get with this setup.
bpd964 is offline Find More Posts by bpd964
Last edited by bpd964; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
The voltage selection jumpers don't select "5v or 12v" they select "5v or battery voltage," so if you have a 12v camera and are running 4s batteries you need a) a second, 3s battery, with the battery select jumper moved to the second battery or b) an external regulator

I would choose the regulator, but that's me

you could also find 3s voltage on the balance port of a battery.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,583 Posts
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
hi all
my rvosd5 keeps saying gps disconnected but the GPS light is on the unit? has anyone come across this before?
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,780 Posts
Yep, mine comes up with a gps disconnected message every so often. Cant see any problems with the cable or its connectors. I just restart the OSD and the message goes away.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:46 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
RVOSD is a precious gem.. that needs more respect

Hi

I'm happy to see that RVOSD forum is active on RCG,.. and I very much appreciate the support Alex "ELcheapo" is providing for the price/capabilities of the RVOSD ..

Despite how bad I feel for the loss of my 1200 USD Zephyer ZII with RVOSD ... I can't blame anything/anyone expect myself for getting tired too soon of sticking to the rules .. I blame myself for not respecting the level of complexity I was dealing with .. so many variables .. so many great features .. they need more attention.. more concentration ... I lose mine because

1-I didn't do a range check .. I thought hey what could happened to the EZUHF R/C link even if it got some interference.. range will drop to at least 1KM .. but didn't expect to lose R/C in less than 200m ...

2- I didn't wait for sat search to finish and sets home properly ..
So when RTH kicked in it was heading toward a wrong home

All I wanted to do is to do some practice by only flying LOS of my Zephyer .. no fPV flight was intended .. this is why I told myself "That is used to overthinking every bit in life" to take it easy this time and just enjoy this very short range los flight ... and start doing the proper checks, debugging a step by step .. ..slowly by surely .. but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to do so because I lost it in that very maiden flight ...

On another note when I heard some noise in my FPV helmet , I thought I should see where the plane crashed .to my surprise .. the plane was flying rock solid towards the sea , The RVOSD was stabilizing the plane in some strong wind in a way that when I was able to turn off FBW and engage manual mode the plane was flying crazy and rolling .. completely uncontrollable.. when RTH is engaged it flies like it is on rails .. I was really impressed despite the great pain I was suffering because I knew I'm losing my 1200 USD ZII RVOSD with many hours of build and tweaking ...

.. and after fighting with it.. by changing R/C TX antenna orientation .. and switching to higher power.. I got intermittent control .. then I managed to land it safely somewhere .. but I could never find .. 15 days of search .. and I gave up ..

Short version .. I've bought another RVOSD ..and I'm sourcing all the parts again ... I'll build another ZII and just stick to the rules .. and I'll definitely engage over thinking mode ... simply because it's worth it ..

Please all of you gents in here ... wish me really good luck this time .. because I'll definitely need it ... and I think I can't handle another loss/ rebuild like that again .. it's too much for me ...

me too really loved the RVOSD it was just perfect and it was doing what it is supposed to do ...

Ohhh I really miss her a lot .. and it does hurt a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:52 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Soldering connections

Also make sure there is no conductivity to a battery while powering electronics while it is connected to a grounding house connection on a HexaCon soldering station. We all want to assure static electricity is discharged however sometimes there can be a loop.

It still works. Just waiting for a frame.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Last edited by EarthOrbiter; Oct 06, 2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Ps
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:47 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,867 Posts
I feel your pain Khaled. I had a flyaway too. My first FPV flight. Not as many $$, but still a sick feeling. That was 5 years ago. Amazingly it came home 2-1/2 years later, virtually undamaged!
By that time I had built and lost another plane too, but thats how it goes sometimes. Stick with it. Im up to FPV plane #17 now I think. Each one a bit better and a bit more expensive.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn