SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 AM
RCMafia
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
It all depends on impedance and video level. The tx needs the 75 ohm impedance and video of 1 Volt P to P so not to overdrive the it. the GoPro is non standard video out . I also use a 191, it's a great camera for a all around use.
i have 900mhz_1W ...which hopefully wont swamp my DL and RVOSD gps. so you use both the kx191 and gopro also?
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:26 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
Hey guys.. I'm using Dragonlink and RVOSD. I want the DL rx to handle Failsafe conditions, not RVOSD.
I've set failsafe on the DL to RTH on RVOSD... so I don't need the OSD to be checking for failsafe on the throttle channel, it's a bit redundant.

Hope that made some sense... How can I do this?
So how would the RVOSD know that your DL Rx has gone into FS unless you tell it to (ie using the throttle channel)? Where's the redundancy?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2008
402 Posts
MK3, what you describe is the only wait it can work. Rvosd has to monitor one channel to detect the failsafe position you have setup on the DL tx.
sancho28 is offline Find More Posts by sancho28
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jan 2008
402 Posts
Oh unless you want the failsafe to simulate the trigger of a switch, to RTH ? Weird, because what would happen to the actual switch ?
sancho28 is offline Find More Posts by sancho28
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefinance01 View Post
i have 900mhz_1W ...which hopefully wont swamp my DL and RVOSD gps. so you use both the kx191 and gopro also?
I fly with the 191, and only record with the GoPro. I don't want to chance to damage another one. 1 watt at 900 mhz that's big power/heat. Don't operate it on the ground without cooling. If you have a small cpu fan, have it blow across the vtx so not to over heat it. What I do is test test and do another test. Turn on receiver, Vtx, Vrx and osd but not the DL tx. and see what happens.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
RCMafia
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
I fly with the 191, and only record with the GoPro. I don't want to chance to damage another one. 1 watt at 900 mhz that's big power/heat. Don't operate it on the ground without cooling. If you have a small cpu fan, have it blow across the vtx so not to over heat it. What I do is test test and do another test. Turn on receiver, Vtx, Vrx and osd but not the DL tx. and see what happens.
It does heat up without cooling...I have mine installed in a tube tunnel with an old intel processor fan. The tunnel is wrapped in carbon sheeting to hopefully reduce noise...Im concerned about the ground wire to the RVOSD and how much that will affect my video quality. We will see when testing time.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
If anyone is running a RVOSD5 in a Funjet Ultra, I'm interested in seingpictures of your installation. I'm about to put mine together but haven't yet decided the optimal placement for RVOSD and vibration dampers etc.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho28 View Post
Oh unless you want the failsafe to simulate the trigger of a switch, to RTH ? Weird, because what would happen to the actual switch ?
This is what I meant.
It's also how it works on my Z2 with dragonosd. I've set the failsafe on DL to put the switch position to RTH, works fine.

This is also how I set it up on RVOSD, but both DL and RVOSD is triggering the switch when there's failsafe
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
This is what I meant.
It's also how it works on my Z2 with dragonosd. I've set the failsafe on DL to put the switch position to RTH, works fine.

This is also how I set it up on RVOSD, but both DL and RVOSD is triggering the switch when there's failsafe
The DOSD has a major flaw that the RVOSD doesn't, and it uses throttle to accomplish this.
If you are flying a waypoint mission with the DOSD and have it set to NEXT, a failsafe will not RTH until the plane flys to every waypoint. If you set it to fly to a waypoint and circle (RV can't do this) and failsafe, it will never come home, it will circle over that waypoint until battery failure.
The RVOSD and ETOSD gets around this by using the under/over throttle method to tell the OSD that there is a real emergency and not just a normal flight mode switch. Quite clever. The RVOSD will always RTH on failsafe no matter what mode it is in. I hope I explained it all correctly.
I think what you want to do is put the controller in its over/under throttle state, and then set your DL failsafe. The switch position shouldn't matter once the OSD learns that there is a failsafe condition it will ignore the switch. Somebody please verify this, I have not set mine up yet.

Disclaimer: I am still learning the RVOSD but have lots of experience with the DOSD.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
If anyone is running a RVOSD5 in a Funjet Ultra, I'm interested in seingpictures of your installation. I'm about to put mine together but haven't yet decided the optimal placement for RVOSD and vibration dampers etc.
Dont have any photos but my RVOSD used to sit directly underneath the spar in the FJU. It was a real mess with heaps of cables plus a 12v reg, so if you can try and use PPM with a single cable running to the RX.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:53 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
The DOSD has a major flaw that the RVOSD doesn't, and it uses throttle to accomplish this.
If you are flying a waypoint mission with the DOSD and have it set to NEXT, a failsafe will not RTH until the plane flys to every waypoint. If you set it to fly to a waypoint and circle (RV can't do this) and failsafe, it will never come home, it will circle over that waypoint until battery failure.
The RVOSD and ETOSD gets around this by using the under/over throttle method to tell the OSD that there is a real emergency and not just a normal flight mode switch. Quite clever. The RVOSD will always RTH on failsafe no matter what mode it is in. I hope I explained it all correctly.
I think what you want to do is put the controller in its over/under throttle state, and then set your DL failsafe. The switch position shouldn't matter once the OSD learns that there is a failsafe condition it will ignore the switch. Somebody please verify this, I have not set mine up yet.

Disclaimer: I am still learning the RVOSD but have lots of experience with the DOSD.
Yes, I guess that's correct. The RVOSD is IMO better in this regard. I have both a switch to select my selected AP mode and RTH as failsafe. I also have another switch that triggers a simulated FS so the RVOSD thinks the RCRx goes into FS and activated RTH.

In short my OSD activates RTH if there's a real FS and on top of this I can manually select RTH or my selected AP mode with separate switches. Super easy and very convenient.

If I manually activate RTH I can still look around with my camera and use other functions that's routed directly to my RCRx.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:11 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,346 Posts
So you set up a seperate switch that sets the throttle over/under its normal range using a radio mix? What radio? Give me a hint on out to do this.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Yes, I guess that's correct. The RVOSD is IMO better in this regard. I have both a switch to select my selected AP mode and RTH as failsafe. I also have another switch that triggers a simulated FS so the RVOSD thinks the RCRx goes into FS and activated RTH.

In short my OSD activates RTH if there's a real FS and on top of this I can manually select RTH or my selected AP mode with separate switches. Super easy and very convenient.

If I manually activate RTH I can still look around with my camera and use other functions that's routed directly to my RCRx.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:49 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Iskess,

Here you have that information: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...ailsafe+switch

Is written for futaba radios but you can adapt as well for others.
The idea is a switch that simulate higher throttle % (or lower - depends on how you have configured RVOSD) thus making RVOSD thinking it is a failsafe condition.
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
Iskess,

Here you have that information: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...ailsafe+switch

Is written for futaba radios but you can adapt as well for others.
The idea is a switch that simulate higher throttle % (or lower - depends on how you have configured RVOSD) thus making RVOSD thinking it is a failsafe condition.
Perfect! Thank you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:37 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
I've done it on a Futaba 12FG as well as a Turnigy ER9X. If anyone's interested I could share the model files, just send me a PM.