SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
RVOSD saves my plane

Lost DX7 signal @1.2 miles I was already trying to get back because of bad video. Very windy and I was disoriented in unfamiliar area. I just noticed while coasting home, no throttle groung speed was over 40mph. I really had to nose her down to lose altitude, hit over 70mph in down spiral.
71mph Skywalker Condor Saved by RVOSD (27 min 20 sec)
Just placed a big order with RV I was so pleased!
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:09 AM
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
806 Posts
just a question. is it possible to just run the osd and get the information that is there without a camera connected via the vtx? lets say your camera dies or something like that?
bjornthans is online now Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fall is here in the north
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornthans View Post
just a question. is it possible to just run the osd and get the information that is there without a camera connected via the vtx? lets say your camera dies or something like that?
No, needs a cam connected. I patched a canon camcorder output one time so I could read the osd.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,771 Posts
If I'm correct RTH still works if your camera dies.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
If I'm correct RTH still works if your camera dies.
Yes it works
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
Bump #3
So nobody has answered my simple questions about how the RVOSD handles waypoint navigation. In re-reading my post, perhaps I am coming across as critical of its capabilities, which may in turn seem critical of Alex. I'm sorry if this is the case, it was not my intent to behave like one of the Trolls that haunt these forums. I am honestly trying to gain a complete understanding of the limitations of the RVOSD waypoint navigation functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Bump....
Can someone please confirm that my understanding of the limitations of the waypoint functionality are correct. This is not clear from the manual or the videos I've watched.
Thank you for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess<br />
Let me know if i understand this right... <br />
So if I havent used the waypoint sequencer yet, it will show waypoints 1-5. <br />
There is no way to show waypoint 6 unless I let the autopilot fly to waypoint 1 first. The only way to fly to waypoint 6, is to fly the whole route 1-5 first, and I can't stop and loiter at waypoint 5, it will move on to 6. If it moves on to 6, I would have to turn off the waypoint sequencer and re-engage it, which would cause the autopilot to fly back to 1 and start all over again. <br />
So the only real way to have it fly directly to a waypoint any time you want is to have that waypoint be 1, and set Last Waypoint to 1.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,597 Posts
I would say your second post is quite correct. It does fly to each waypoint in sequence.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
I would say your second post is quite correct. It does fly to each waypoint in sequence.
Thank you!
So if I turn off the autopilot at waypoint 5 to manually circle the point and look around, then turn the autopilot back on again, will it continue to #6 or start again at #1?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
342 Posts
Hi, I just got my first RVOSD 5. Can anyone please tell me where is the best place to put it on a Skywalker? I also have the anti vibe mount from RangeVideo. Thanks

Minh
flashervn is online now Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Hi, I just got my first RVOSD 5. Can anyone please tell me where is the best place to put it on a Skywalker? I also have the anti vibe mount from RangeVideo. Thanks

Minh
Hi, the Skywalker is cavernous, you can put the RVOSD wherever you want. This is an example.
dayanki is offline Find More Posts by dayanki
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayanki View Post
Hi, the Skywalker is cavernous, you can put the RVOSD wherever you want. This is an example.
Hi, thanks for the answer. What I was really asking is where to install it on a Skywalker so it is
1. Nearest to CG
2.With the least vibration

In the example you shown, isnt it too close to the motor where most of the vibration happens? Thanks
flashervn is online now Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,597 Posts
Quote:
Thank you!
So if I turn off the autopilot at waypoint 5 to manually circle the point and look around, then turn the autopilot back on again, will it continue to #6 or start again at #1?
I'm sorry I haven't tried to do that so I don't know.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Hi, thanks for the answer. What I was really asking is where to install it on a Skywalker so it is
1. Nearest to CG
2.With the least vibration

In the example you shown, isnt it too close to the motor where most of the vibration happens? Thanks
Hi, I do not own the skywalker (but I own the RVOSD5). In the example it seems to me that the RVOSD is located near the CG of Skywalker, though this is not essential. IMHO, with the anti vibration mount you need not worry too much, instead check the balancing of propeller and engine.
dayanki is offline Find More Posts by dayanki
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
This is how I made it: it's in the CG, takes almost no place (you can fit batter under it) and accessible via side door. RVOSD is in that black shrink wrap (I had no transparent one when I was replacing G4 to G5 board), I made my own anti-vibration mount (yellow), it was before RV made their own :-). Also the current sensor is in black shrink wrap - next to BEC. Final placement of ESC is on the opposite site. GPS is under the wing, next to LRS RX. I'm very satisfied with this placement, vibrations are no problem, I can take it out when I need to upgrade firmware (Alex knows how many times I did so )...

Oh, and one more thing: NEVER use that pan and tilt from BEVRC. It's a piece of ...
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Thank you!
Does anyone know what happens if you turn off the autopilot in the middle of a waypoint sequence, then turn it back on?
Will it continue the sequence from where you were, or will it start over at waypoint #1 again?