HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
One more extra thing... if everything is working now except RSSI, it may be more productive to set up the rest of the plane and deal with RSSI later, it is not essential for flight but it is helpful. Your choice
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
Garden City KS
Joined Jul 2004
83 Posts
Thanks for all your help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
One more extra thing... if everything is working now except RSSI, it may be more productive to set up the rest of the plane and deal with RSSI later, it is not essential for flight but it is helpful. Your choice
npre,

WOW!!! Thanks for all that information.!! I will do the follow up on the link you posted for me.

This is all starting to make sense now. I'm currently runing all eight wires out of my rx. By being able to use one + and RSSI wire will free up lots of mess and space. The plane is pretty much ready to go. You can see pics of the project if you look up the pictures i've posted. Just have to do the rssi + weight/balance and i'm in the air. I'm one of those guys that like to have it all done and working by the time I throw a project in the air. I don't know if that's patience or just being anal...

Again. Thanks for all your help!! I'll report back when it's all working or I get stuck or confused, but I think this info will do the trick.
Opus44 is offline Find More Posts by Opus44
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Bump....
Can someone please confirm that my understanding of the limitations of the waypoint functionality are correct. This is not clear from the manual or the videos I've watched.
Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Let me know if i understand this right...
So if I havent used the waypoint sequencer yet, it will show waypoints 1-5.
There is no way to show waypoint 6 unless I let the autopilot fly to waypoint 1 first. The only way to fly to waypoint 6, is to fly the whole route 1-5 first, and I can't stop and loiter at waypoint 5, it will move on to 6. If it moves on to 6, I would have to turn off the waypoint sequencer and re-engage it, which would cause the autopilot to fly back to 1 and start all over again.
So the only real way to have it fly directly to a waypoint any time you want is to have that waypoint be 1, and set Last Waypoint to 1.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
I disagree, I use airspeed all the time with ground speed to let me know what speed & direction the winds are doing. I live in kansas & the wind always blows here. I've seen 15 mph headwind at take off to 500 then 0 wind Fromm 500ft to 1200ft. Then 5 mph tailwind up to 3200 ft. So I use it to let me know some more info to better use my battery energy. Also it is a good way to figure out stall speed & most efficient speeds to cruise at.
Marc
I just started reading this thread... been using FY-31, and am considering buying the RVOSD. One major issue IS the lack of airspeed sensor on Fy-31. With RTH engaged, and no airspeed sensor to control cruise speed, stalls can happen.
simplyfly is online now Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Bump....
Can someone please confirm that my understanding of the limitations of the waypoint functionality are correct. This is not clear from the manual or the videos I've watched.
Thank you for your time.
I also wonder if the RVOSD can use data modem to change waypoint info "on the fly" ? I like this feature of the FY-31.

Is there a way to use a data modem, or a GUI available for the RVOSD yet?
simplyfly is online now Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
There is an airspeed sensor option but it is not implemented into the autopilot yet, FYI. It is coming. However stalls can be prevented very well with the current setup and some experimentation
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyfly View Post
I also wonder if the RVOSD can use data modem to change waypoint info "on the fly" ? I like this feature of the FY-31.

Is there a way to use a data modem, or a GUI available for the RVOSD yet?
You can change waypoints by IR remote, TX or upload via USB from ground software, but all on the ground.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
new experience need help

First I'd like to say my RVOSD has been working fantastic, Doing everything by the book. The FBW lets me cruise all around, It holds altitude, pitch and roll perfect. RTH brings it home and the RTH indicator always points home, Thank You Alex! I love my RVOSD! Then today while flying in FBW I noticed the compass heading was off, way off as much as 180 deg then I noticed the home arrow was doing the same, My distance to home was decreasing, I was in a 25 mph headwind and moving back wards. I was pointed east but moving west and the AP doesn't know which way I'm pointed I'm way above cruise altitude so if RTH was on it would not turn on throttle till it fell to cruise altitude + the if throttle was enough and the plane moved forward I would think AP would regain correct bearings for control if throttle wasn't enough would it back into home? Obviously if throttle setting can't over come wind nothing can be done and just hope radio is regained. So... Alex please comment on this scenario and offer advise. I think I should use a higher throttle setting for failsafe but I'm not sure How the RVOSD reacts when real heading differs from plane orientation. Of course common sense applies to conditions, it wasn't that windy when I took off.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,524 Posts
In windy conditions you should go into flight menu and increase both glide and cruise throttle to a level that can penetrate the wind!
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
First I'd like to say my RVOSD has been working fantastic, Doing everything by the book. The FBW lets me cruise all around, It holds altitude, pitch and roll perfect. RTH brings it home and the RTH indicator always points home, Thank You Alex! I love my RVOSD! Then today while flying in FBW I noticed the compass heading was off, way off as much as 180 deg then I noticed the home arrow was doing the same, My distance to home was decreasing, I was in a 25 mph headwind and moving back wards. I was pointed east but moving west and the AP doesn't know which way I'm pointed I'm way above cruise altitude so if RTH was on it would not turn on throttle till it fell to cruise altitude + the if throttle was enough and the plane moved forward I would think AP would regain correct bearings for control if throttle wasn't enough would it back into home? Obviously if throttle setting can't over come wind nothing can be done and just hope radio is regained. So... Alex please comment on this scenario and offer advise. I think I should use a higher throttle setting for failsafe but I'm not sure How the RVOSD reacts when real heading differs from plane orientation. Of course common sense applies to conditions, it wasn't that windy when I took off.
It sounds like this issue will be fixed when Alex updates the firmware to use the magnetometer, but that's just for 5.1.
Is it true that the autopilot doesnt use the Airspeed Sensor when attached? Its just for display purposes? If so, I will wait to purchase the sensor until it is integrated into the firmware. An integrated airspeed sensor could help prevent the zero ground speed issue too. Even though the GPS still won't know which way it is heading (w/o mag), it could know that it doesn't know and keep wings level until the GPS gives a valid bearing again. A perfect zero GS should only be momentary, and a negative GS could be interpreted by the autopilot if Airspeed data is present.

Alex, could you confirm what someone wrote, the airspeed is not used by the autopilot in the current firmware. If that's true, is it high on your list?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:20 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
406 Posts
Hi
Du you normally power your RVOSD when updating the firmware?
Thanks
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
735 Posts
No, just follow the instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
Hi
Du you normally power your RVOSD when updating the firmware?
Thanks
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
819 Posts
Setting min RSSI and meaning of degrees in upper-right

There were two things that either I was too stupid to find in the manual or are not there, but I figured them out and I thought I'd share.

First, to set Min RSSI in the menu, move the selector to that menu item, then turn off your TX, and then hit the right button on the remote (take off your prop first!). The numbers in the right hand column are the current reading of RSSI. Do the same for max RSSI with the TX on.

The mystery degree symbol in the upper-right is the azimuth of the plane relative to the horizon. So if it is 90 the plane is right overhead.

+1 to the previous comment about how well RTH works. You do need to verify that your AHI is working before takeoff (some users are having problems with the gyros initializing properly).
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON
Joined Jan 2009
3,238 Posts
Like Alex has in the instructions. Install it level. Don't move it (plane/heli/quad)when first powered up for 30 seconds so it can stabilized itself. Then after it warms up for the first flight of the day reboot the system.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Like Alex has in the instructions. Install it level. Don't move it (plane/heli/quad)when first powered up for 30 seconds so it can stabilized itself. Then after it warms up for the first flight of the day reboot the system.
What about small movements when getting buffeted by the wind? Or is it ok as long as I dont pick it up and move it?
I guess I could boot it up in the car on windy days.