Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
[Suggestion #4]

Wow! That's a lot of menus.
Alex, what if we had a shortcut menu that was fully customizable so we could put our most used items on it. This wouldn't change the order of the original menus, just add a quick access to those that you most frequently so they aren't buried in with the set-it-and-forget-it items.
I haven't flown the RVOSD yet, but it looks cumbersome to wade through these menus while piloting.
Your right Iam, I'm afraid I'll accidentally change a setting as I scroll through. Need a safety option. A custom page is a great Idea maybe lockout change option for all other pages.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
You can access all the menus with the IR remote control, but only the in-flight menus with the RC Tx. Those menus control the settings that you could want to tweak while flying.
If the PPM string fails(cable gets disconnected) RVOSD will set RTH or switch to the second PPM input(second receiver) if the second PPM input is enabled. This is a feature already.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:01 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
If the PPM string fails(cable gets disconnected) RVOSD will set RTH or switch to the second PPM input(second receiver) if the second PPM input is enabled. This is a feature already.
That's great news. The more I learn about this OSD the more excited I get about it.

What do you think about the winds aloft idea? No other OSD has this, it would really stand out from the competition, and its a simple E6-B calculation once you have the raw data coming in.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Sep 01, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
FBW Problem

Posted on another thread but this one seems a lot more active...

Testing FBW on the ground. The elevator goes down when I point the nose down and up when I point the nose up. This is just the opposite of what should happen to stabilize the plane.
Control surfaces are working correctly when transmitter sticks are used.

Any ideas?

The RVOSD is pointing forward and I have run thru all the steps in the manual more than once.
Thanks,
cretcheu is offline Find More Posts by cretcheu
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
What do you think about the winds aloft idea? No other OSD has this, it would really stand out from the competition, and its a simple E6-B calculation once you have the raw data coming in.
You have a good idea. Can you explain better about this simple calculations?
Quote:
Testing FBW on the ground. The elevator goes down when I point the nose down and up when I point the nose up. This is just the opposite of what should happen to stabilize the plane.
Control surfaces are working correctly when transmitter sticks are used.
1-Make sure the AHI goes down on the screen when the plane nose goes up.
2-There is an step on the wizard that ask you to set the elevator for maximum climb, do it properly.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:01 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Quote:
1-Make sure the AHI goes down on the screen when the plane nose goes up.
2-There is an step on the wizard that ask you to set the elevator for maximum climb, do it properly.
3-Change "pitch servo direction" setting :-)
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
3-Change "pitch servo direction" setting :-)
No need if the wizard is ran properly. He stated that the elevator moves very little, my guess is that he didn't moved the elevator all the way up on the wizard step that ask for maximum climb setting.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
AHI goes down on the screen when the plane nose goes up and vice versa.
So, I reran the wizard, as you instructed, and that fixed the problem.

Thank You!
cretcheu is offline Find More Posts by cretcheu
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:04 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
You have a good idea. Can you explain better about this simple calculations?
It would be relatively simple if you only flew straight upwind or downwind (airspeed vs ground speed) but for everything else it requires a computer.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Jul 2004
83 Posts
ezuhf

Are any of you using your RVOSD 5 with a EZUHF? I see a place in the instructions that talk about setting up RSSI using the EZUHF rx's. The instructions talk about PWM RSSI signal from EZUHF.

What is PWM RSSI signal??

When I use the combined PPM mode I can't seem to get my fail safe set right so i'm using "regular" rx setting at the moment with "glitch counter".

Can someone help me out with the terminology and rx settings. I"m using my EZUHF with a 9cap.

thanks for any help,

Todd
Opus44 is offline Find More Posts by Opus44
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
It would be relatively simple if you only flew straight upwind or downwind (airspeed vs ground speed) but for everything else it requires a computer.
I have done this calculation with an E6B slide ruler long before I could fit a computer in the cockpit. It has been required to get a pilot's license since not long after the Wright Brothers started issuing them. It's been done on simple handheld calculators since the 80's. It is a simple calculation, I'm sure the RVOSD and Alex are quite capable of it. I will look for it online and post.
Alex, thank you for being so open to suggestions. It is very exciting to be part of the evolution.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,451 Posts
Quote:
I have done this calculation with an E6B slide ruler long before I could fit a computer in the cockpit. It has been required to get a pilot's license since not long after the Wright Brothers started issuing them. It's been done on simple handheld calculators since the 80's. It is a simple calculation, I'm sure the RVOSD and Alex are quite capable of it. I will look for it online and post.
Alex, thank you for being so open to suggestions. It is very exciting to be part of the evolution.
The E6B is a mechanical flight computer. The actual formula is needed to determine feasibility on any given platform. Obviously it can be done with the right hardware and programing.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:28 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,339 Posts
Wind Velocity and Direction Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
The E6B is a mechanical flight computer. The actual formula is needed to determine feasibility on any given platform. Obviously it can be done with the right hardware and programing.
Well perhaps you're right, but I'd be suprised if Alex says it can't be done with the RVOSD hardware. I think this will be a fun one for Alex...

Here are the formulas:

The math behind the equation requires the use of vectors and triangle geometry. You are required to break each vector down into its vertical and horizontal component. Subtract the GS vector from the TAS vector for each vertical and horizontal value and the wind speed is calculated using pythagoream theorem A^2 + B^2 = C^2 where C is the wind speed. The wind direction is calculated using the arctan function and checking if the wind is a headwind of a tailwind

WS = Wind Speed
WD = Wind Direction
TC = True Course
TH = True Heading
TAS = True Airspeed
GS = Groundspeed

Here is the formula for the wind speed (you can use this in Excel provided you use Named Ranges)
WS =ROUND(SQRT(((SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))^2 +((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))^2), 0)
Breaking down the formula, we are using pythagoream theorem WS = square root([Horizontal Value Difference]^2 + [Vertical Value Difference]^2) and rouding the number to the nearest whole number

Here is the formula for the wind direction
WD =ROUND(MOD(DEGREES(ATAN(((SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))/((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))))+IF(((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))<0, 180, 0), 360), 0)
Breaking down this formula, we are getting the arctangent([Horizontal Value Difference] / [Vertical Value Difference]) and then checking the sign of the [Vertical Value Difference] and adding 180 if it is negative.

To simplify the calculations into manageable chunks, open up excel and copy these into a cell. When you copy the formula change the name of the cell to what it equals or change to the appropriate cell (A1)

GSH = SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS ‘Horizontal Portion of GS Vector
GSV = COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS ‘Vertical Portion of GS Vector
TASH = SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS ‘Horizontal Portion of TAS Vector
TASV = COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS ‘Vertical Portion of TAS Vector
DeltaH = TASH-GSH ‘Horizontal Vector Difference
DeltaV = TASV-GSV ‘Vertical Vector Difference
WS = ROUND(SQRT(DeltaH^2 +DeltaV^2), 0) ‘Pythagoream Theorem rounded
WD = ROUND(MOD(DEGREES(ATAN(DeltaH/DeltaV))+IF(DeltaV<0, 180, 0), 360), 0) ‘arc tangent plus check for Vertical Vector Difference sign
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Well perhaps you're right, but I'd be suprised if Alex says it can't be done with the RVOSD hardware. I think this will be a fun one for Alex...

Here are the formulas:

The math behind the equation requires the use of vectors and triangle geometry. You are required to break each vector down into its vertical and horizontal component. Subtract the GS vector from the TAS vector for each vertical and horizontal value and the wind speed is calculated using pythagoream theorem A^2 + B^2 = C^2 where C is the wind speed. The wind direction is calculated using the arctan function and checking if the wind is a headwind of a tailwind

WS = Wind Speed
WD = Wind Direction
TC = True Course
TH = True Heading
TAS = True Airspeed
GS = Groundspeed

Here is the formula for the wind speed (you can use this in Excel provided you use Named Ranges)
WS =ROUND(SQRT(((SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))^2 +((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))^2), 0)
Breaking down the formula, we are using pythagoream theorem WS = square root([Horizontal Value Difference]^2 + [Vertical Value Difference]^2) and rouding the number to the nearest whole number

Here is the formula for the wind direction
WD =ROUND(MOD(DEGREES(ATAN(((SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))/((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))))+IF(((COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS)-(COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS))<0, 180, 0), 360), 0)
Breaking down this formula, we are getting the arctangent([Horizontal Value Difference] / [Vertical Value Difference]) and then checking the sign of the [Vertical Value Difference] and adding 180 if it is negative.

To simplify the calculations into manageable chunks, open up excel and copy these into a cell. When you copy the formula change the name of the cell to what it equals or change to the appropriate cell (A1)

GSH = SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS ‘Horizontal Portion of GS Vector
GSV = COS(RADIANS(MOD(TC, 360)))*GS ‘Vertical Portion of GS Vector
TASH = SIN(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS ‘Horizontal Portion of TAS Vector
TASV = COS(RADIANS(MOD(TH, 360)))*TAS ‘Vertical Portion of TAS Vector
DeltaH = TASH-GSH ‘Horizontal Vector Difference
DeltaV = TASV-GSV ‘Vertical Vector Difference
WS = ROUND(SQRT(DeltaH^2 +DeltaV^2), 0) ‘Pythagoream Theorem rounded
WD = ROUND(MOD(DEGREES(ATAN(DeltaH/DeltaV))+IF(DeltaV<0, 180, 0), 360), 0) ‘arc tangent plus check for Vertical Vector Difference sign
Yes, RVOSD is a "computer", actually two computers. Still I find funny that this things look "simple" to you . Notice that the formulas above are just that, formulas. My work will be to check that the formulas are correct, fix anything that it is not, make the conversions between units, formulate an algorithm, code all that on to dsPIC ASM language, check that the time it takes to make all this calculations does not de-synch the state machine on RVOSD existing code, make formulas and algorithms to input this new parameters on all related calculations(like distance left indicator), then code this new stuff. Make more code to display the new arrow or indicator on the graphic processing chip. Finally, test and debug all this just in case something go wrong, if so, go back to programming and repeat the process.
Of course, I can also google searching for this stuff, but my point is, that it is not enough to copy the formula from the first link you get. It takes a lot more than this.
There is no simplicity at all on this process. This is why I have to make a balance between the usefulness of new features and the time it takes to implement, then choose what to do next.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Sep 01, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Yes, RVOSD is a "computer", actually two computers. Still I find funny that this things look "simple" to you . Notice that the formulas above are just that, formulas. My work will be to check that the formulas are correct, fix anything that it is not, make the conversions between units, formulate an algorithm, code all that on to dsPIC ASM language, check that the time it takes to make all this calculations does not de-synch the state machine on RVOSD existing code, make formulas and algorithms to input this new parameters on all related calculations(like distance left indicator), then code this new stuff. Make more code to display the new arrow or indicator on the graphic processing chip. Finally, test and debug all this just in case something go wrong, if so, go back to programming and repeat the process.
Of course, I can also google searching for this stuff, but my point is, that it is not enough to copy the formula from the first link you get. It takes a lot more than this.
There is no simplicity at all on this process. This is why I have to make a balance between the usefulness of new features and the time it takes to implement, then choose what to do next.
Well thank you for considering it anyway. Sorry for underplaying the effort involved for you. It is obviously much easier in Excel. What I meant was that it should be easy for the RVOSD hardware since it could be done by handheld calculators 25 years ago.
At least keep it on the wish list. Maybe every so often you can post a poll to rank new requests and see what people want. I know everyone has different priorities.
I think this would be awesome.