HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Alex does specify to set on ground, Do you turn off motor and glide while setting?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Alex does specify to set on ground, Do you turn off motor and glide while setting?
I don't remember if I had the motor on or off. Maybe the motor has to been off and that's why I can't get it to come up. Will test that next time.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
Anyone else ever have a hard time setting neutral AHI while in the air? I've done it before a few times but sometimes I can't get the screen to calibrate it to come up. I get in the menu and go to Set neutral AHI and push to the right but nothing happens. I've had the issue off and on in the past but today I couldn't access it at all. I can set all other menu options without issue.

I can set it on the ground but I can never get it perfect. I've had better luck setting it in the air when I can get it to come up.

This is on 5.07 but I had the same issue on 5.06.
Do this on the ground!
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
I figured it out. It won't let you set neutral AHI in the air if you have FBW turned on when you enter the menu. I should have remembered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabster101 View Post
Anyone else ever have a hard time setting neutral AHI while in the air? I've done it before a few times but sometimes I can't get the screen to calibrate it to come up. I get in the menu and go to Set neutral AHI and push to the right but nothing happens. I've had the issue off and on in the past but today I couldn't access it at all. I can set all other menu options without issue.

I can set it on the ground but I can never get it perfect. I've had better luck setting it in the air when I can get it to come up.

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to get strong confidence in the RTH before I go any distance. One concern is some times is seems very slow to respond like its not sure what to do maybe in time it would turn but I have to cancel RTH while I can still safely pilot it back what setting would start the turn quicker not necessarily increase turn angle or don't you see a problem? Example at 9:22
Check Post #2383 of this same thread.

Quote:

First, you need to read the instructions about setting neutral AHI. Long story short: Do not set neutral AHI in flight.
Second, The set neutral AHI menu is blocked if there is any stabilization mode enabled. This is why sometimes you noticed it does not work.
You don't need to set neutral AHI on every flight, after it is properly set, just save configuration before powering OFF the OSD. Only need to set it again if the OSD board attitude change relative to the airplane.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
I'm not trying to set the AHI every flight. This a new plane I just got in the air, trimmed and set neutrals on. I noticed in FBW it was climbing too much and I wanted to level out the AHI without having to land. Which I have done in past with other planes using RVOSD. This is my 3rd RVOSD and I forgot about having FBW off when trying to set it in the air because it is something you only do once like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
First, you need to read the instructions about setting neutral AHI. Long story short: Do not set neutral AHI in flight.
Second, The set neutral AHI menu is blocked if there is any stabilization mode enabled. This is why sometimes you noticed it does not work.
You don't need to set neutral AHI on every flight, after it is properly set, just save configuration before powering OFF the OSD. Only need to set it again if the OSD board attitude change relative to the airplane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:31 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
Little notice about setting neutral AHI: if you've got version 5 and newer, always set it on ground. BUT make sure you have the plane at the flight position - for most airplanes it means at least 5 degrees nose up! So you have to place something under the nose of your airplane to get the proper position. If you set neutral AHI with airplane perfectly leveled (without nose up), it will cause you some problems - it will make your plane dive instead of level flying. Once set properly, you no need to do this anymore...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastislavko View Post
Little notice about setting neutral AHI: if you've got version 5 and newer, always set it on ground. BUT make sure you have the plane at the flight position - for most airplanes it means at least 5 degrees nose up! So you have to place something under the nose of your airplane to get the proper position. If you set neutral AHI with airplane perfectly leveled (without nose up), it will cause you some problems - it will make your plane dive instead of level flying. Once set properly, you no need to do this anymore...
I've done it that way. Sometimes you have the nose too high and sometimes you have it too low. Then you have to keep landing and keep resetting until you get it where you want it. When I set it in the air it's perfect the first time. I understand that it isn't the way the manual or Alex says is the best way but it works for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
[QUOTE=Elcheapo;22605168]Check Post #2383 of this same thread.

The rate of turn is not the issue its if the turn is initiated. in the video you can see times when RTH is engaged it starts turning but some times it doesnt seem to start the turn. i read your words of wisdom over and over sometimes its the terms that need clarifying.
Thanks

My main concern is why it reacts fast sometimes and slow others I'm 500-1000 ft outside loiter radius
Last edited by picard10th; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added clarification
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Increase Max roll and pitch angles, keep in mind there is a Loiter radius setting. Inside the loiter radius the autopilot will try to set from 180(away from home) to 90(try to stay on the circle).
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:27 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Not really, the inertial unit does have yaw reference for short term corrections. The magnetometer is only needed for long term orientation corrections on VTOL aircraft types.
[Suggestion #2]

Alex,
You now have the 4 ingredients to give us a winds aloft vector arrow and speed.
Heading via Magnetometer
GPS track
Ground Speed
Airspeed

It would be very useful for long cross country flights to know the winds. Imagine how much more accurate the range remaining calculation would be.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Now that would be a very nice tool to have.

Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Current menus 5.07

5.07 menus for everyones info!
Alex, Are roll & pitch angles default
Last edited by picard10th; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:44 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,271 Posts
[Suggestion # 3]
Edit: Already in place!

I will be using DragonLink and I gather the over-throttle is the best method for me to set up RTH.
What if the Rx fails rather than the Tx, and there is a loss of PPM signal to the RVOSD?
The DOSD has its own built in failsafe, in addition to the Rx's failsafe, that kicks in if it detects PPM at start up and later looses it.
It seems like the RVOSD could use its packet detection on the AUX channel to serve the same function, but can it work in conjunction with the over/under throttle method as a back-up? Or does choosing one disable the other?
Excuse me if this is an ignorant question, I am still trying to understand the intricacies of the RVOSD.
Last edited by iskess; Sep 01, 2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
5.07 menus for everyones info!
Alex, Are roll & pitch angles default
[Suggestion #4]

Wow! That's a lot of menus.
Alex, what if we had a shortcut menu that was fully customizable so we could put our most used items on it. This wouldn't change the order of the original menus, just add a quick access to those that you most frequently so they aren't buried in with the set-it-and-forget-it items.
I haven't flown the RVOSD yet, but it looks cumbersome to wade through these menus while piloting.
Last edited by iskess; Aug 31, 2012 at 09:02 PM.