HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede View Post
Maybe I've missed it, but is there a way to have the RTH come back at the altitude it kicks in at and then once home, do a descending circle/fig.8? I'm just thinking if it kicks in while I'm mountain surfing at 5000ft above launch, it could easily descend into the mountain side while trying to get down to a reasonable return cruise height.
Alex, this is exactly what I was asking about.

Suggestion #1 (not in priority order)
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Last edited by iskess; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:07 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
What do you mean by throttle protection?
RVOSD has perfect built-in autopilot. It is triggered by failsafe - there are more detection modes for singal loss, but the idea is the autopilot is started when you have no valid signal. When autopilot is on, the motor starts spinning the prop and the airplane is trying to return to home using elevator and ailerons.

But imagine, what will happen if you:

1) turn on autopilot on ground (it needs just to hit one switch on transmitter)
2) turn off your transmitter before turning off the airplane
3) give your transmitter antenna too close to receiver antenna, so the signal is too strong and RX detect it as failsafe condition...

In all above the autopilot thinks you are too low, so started the engine to corret altitude. Too bad for your fingers :-).

It's a problem of all autopilots, not only RVOSD. There are several condition you can check before triggering autopilot or just throttle - valid GPS lock, some altitude or some speed. This is what needs to be added - in beta firmware there is non-working menu item "throttle protection", so I think it's just a matter of time :-) It was not added yet because you can fly from hill in negative altitude against the strong wind so with zero speed, but I think both conditions are very rare to met exactly at the same time when autopilot is on and is trying to return your plane home. ...
Rastislavko is online now Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:46 AM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
803 Posts
What the difference between RVOSD 5 and RVOSD 5.1?
Hmerly is online now Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:10 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,598 Posts
Other type of IMUs and added magnetometer. Also the previous, very convenient, method of upgrading by replacing one of the boards is no longer possible. This is because the IMUs had to be placed on the other board. The reason for this is AFAIK because the other tyope of IMUs are no longer available.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
If I'm right there is also new, better version of pressure sensor/thermometer on v5.1.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
V5 has a bad drift in altimeter. I thing new barometric sensor solved this problem.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,819 Posts
There is one thing that RVOSD has that others don't seem to even come close to touching.
It LOOKS GOOD on screen.

Yes the stabilization and autopilot and waypoint features all work as good or better than most, but damn does it ever look sexy compared to all those other OSD's using the Analog Devices OSD chip or something similar.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
Most OSDs are based on MAX7456 chip. Remzibi, EzOSD, Cyclops OSD etc... I hate that. You can identify it by large numbers and letters all around the screen, because it was designed for video recorders or camcoders. There is fixed grid (something like chess board) where you can place characters. So it's very easy to code it or adjust for your needs. But it looks ugly and you can't do anything against it. RVOSD uses it's own graphic board, this is why it's very nice and readable despite small letters or numbers.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,302 Posts
[QUOTE=iskess;22597150]What do you mean by throttle protection?

Thanks for explaining. I always keep the motor switch off until ready for launch, and turn it off again first thing after landing. I wouldn't use the throttle protection option. I hope it remains an option so I can fly from a hilltop and still have RTH flying over the beach.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Thanks for explaining. I always keep the motor switch off until ready for launch, and turn it off again first thing after landing.
You don't understand me. You can't disable throttle, triggered by autopilot, with any switch. Failsafe, caused by anything = full throttle (not everytime, you can set it by yourself, but it should be fast enough for climb). This is why I think this is the last disadvantage of RVOSD - it's not very safe with configured autopilot.

Also, if your airplane crashlands somewhere, it starts autopilot = full throttle on ground. Too dangerous for any potential spectators...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
You don't understand me. You can't disable throttle, triggered by autopilot, with any switch. Failsafe, caused by anything = full throttle (not everytime, you can set it by yourself, but it should be fast enough for climb). This is why I think this is the last disadvantage of RVOSD - it's not very safe with configured autopilot.
There is a solution, set glide and cruise throttle to zero at take off. Then set it to the desired level after.
Quote:
Also, if your airplane crashlands somewhere, it starts autopilot = full throttle on ground. Too dangerous for any potential spectators...
There is a solution also, set both glide and cruise throttle to zero if you know there is no chance to go back home, and going to crash-land outside RC range.
Of course this doesn't work for unexpected crashes, but I didn't programmed the autopilot to crash.
On my 40km range test flight you can see I did this when I knew there were no battery left to go back home. Look at the very end of this video:
FPV style, 44km record FRsky RC 2.4Ghz. (7 min 4 sec)

Of course I know I have to do something for the protection of those that still crash outside range, turn off RC transmiters with the airplane still active on ground. And a long list of funny things that I have witnessed on this years of giving support to RVOSD users.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2006
751 Posts
Alex, if you run out of battery, you no need to set throttle to zero - ESC will stop motor with empty battery, so it will not harm anybody...

I know how much work you have, especcialy now, when you are releasing new HW version with new firmware. This is about safety, but full functionality is first, I can understand this.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
The airplane will lose altitude and crash before the propeller completely stops. ESC could be trying to move a stuck propeller after crash landing, this is why I did this.
However after that flight I noticed the ESC I am using K-force(Hobbywing) does stop trying to start the motor if it detects the propeller is stuck.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Hi Alex,
I'm happy to report I'm having much better results with the SW Condor then I did with the EPP FPV. I think the flex in the control surfaces gave the AP a hard time it was even unresponsive for me at times.

I'm trying to get strong confidence in the RTH before I go any distance. One concern is some times is seems very slow to respond like its not sure what to do maybe in time it would turn but I have to cancel RTH while I can still safely pilot it back what setting would start the turn quicker not necessarily increase turn angle or don't you see a problem? Example at 9:22

Skywalker Condor 1880 RVOSD PH & RTH tests (10 min 53 sec)
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Last edited by picard10th; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Set neutral AHI in air

Anyone else ever have a hard time setting neutral AHI while in the air? I've done it before a few times but sometimes I can't get the screen to calibrate it to come up. I get in the menu and go to Set neutral AHI and push to the right but nothing happens. I've had the issue off and on in the past but today I couldn't access it at all. I can set all other menu options without issue.

I can set it on the ground but I can never get it perfect. I've had better luck setting it in the air when I can get it to come up.

This is on 5.07 but I had the same issue on 5.06.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member