HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelcote View Post
I tried both
Eagletree = way more wiring this is the major drawback for the rest it works good

I still prefer rvosd but the firmware or sensors are not stable ahi need reboot sometime and gps lock is long. Variometer and angle over horizon make a really Good tool for gliders. I just let it warm for a couple minutes and do a hard reboot it help to stabilise ahi reading. But in flight it can freeze or drift. Not good when far out. Rth use ahi...

My friend put a capacitor on his gps to help it remind positions of satellites and it takes now 50 sec to lock instead of 4 minutes.

Despite all this i still use it because most of the time it works and for ease of wiring

I think that this system can be unbeatable if sensors were more robust and firmware doesnt have bugs.

R Montiel took a big chance gooing this far on this system. For a job like this I would go with eagle tree wich dont freeze.

I keep it because I feel that those drawbacks will eventually be corrected

Cheers
where did your friend put the capacitor on the RVGPS ?
sharonx is online now Find More Posts by sharonx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelcote View Post
I tried both
Eagletree = way more wiring this is the major drawback for the rest it works good

I still prefer rvosd but the firmware or sensors are not stable ahi need reboot sometime and gps lock is long. Variometer and angle over horizon make a really Good tool for gliders. I just let it warm for a couple minutes and do a hard reboot it help to stabilise ahi reading. But in flight it can freeze or drift. Not good when far out. Rth use ahi...

My friend put a capacitor on his gps to help it remind positions of satellites and it takes now 50 sec to lock instead of 4 minutes.

Despite all this i still use it because most of the time it works and for ease of wiring

I think that this system can be unbeatable if sensors were more robust and firmware doesnt have bugs.

R Montiel took a big chance gooing this far on this system. For a job like this I would go with eagle tree wich dont freeze.

I keep it because I feel that those drawbacks will eventually be corrected

Cheers
I've tried both systems and, well, now I've sold my OSD Pro. IMO the ET-system although being modular requires MUCH more input by the user to make a flyable system. I gave up on the guardian since it wasn't not stable at all since I also at the same time had a RVOSD5 the hassle with the ET-system just wasn't worth it.

However I've liked the ET modularity for a long time and still have their standard-OSD which I like much because it's so simple yet possible to expand with a lot of sensors. Sadly ET does not support the standard-OSD anymore so I guess this has to be phased out soon as well.

To say that R.Montiel took a big chance using RVOSD instead of ET is an unfounded argument, the thing is that no-one has flown (at least documented) any flight even similiar to Robertos flights using ET so no-one can say that ET would perform better (or worse).
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
There is no bug on RVOSD firmware that could cause it to freeze in flight. It could happen on the old verions using the IR thermopile sensors if there is a bad contact on the cables to the sensors.
On the new G5 it could happen at startup if you use a bigger than 3S battery and aux battery, and plug the main battery first. But this is only on this specific configuration and the AHI will be freeze from the very beginning.
If your AHI does freeze in flight then is because your OSD does have a hardware problem, probably caused by a crash, the PCB boards gets damaged if it is twisted or under very heavy mechanical stress. You should send it back to Rangevideo for repair.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
What is the hardware difference between 5.0 and 5.1?
Bump

What capabilities, present or future, does 5.1 have that 5.0 does not?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
At this moment there is absolute no differences. Both work with very similar firmware. The 5.1 does include a magnetometer, but it is hardware only. Not used yet.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,352 Posts
Ahh yes, you will need that manometer to program autolands in a crosswind.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Ahh yes, you will need that manometer to program autolands in a crosswind.
Not really, the inertial unit does have yaw reference for short term corrections. The magnetometer is only needed for long term orientation corrections on VTOL aircraft types.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Alex,
At this time Rudder/yaw is not controlled in AP modes, Correct?
Will it be possible to create a rudder mix for turns in AP soon?
Thanks,
Gary
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,352 Posts
What is the little marker sliding horizontally under the heading? It looks like a yaw indicator.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
For gps there is a pin called backup voltage I think
He soldered a supercap between this pin and ground. I did it too work like a charm.

My ahi did freeze in flight once
Sometime drift. Once I had strange behavior on all parameters but it hapenned on startup i beleive.

I run the config that create problems. 4s on main and 12v regulated on aux batt. annoying to not beeing able to plug only once

I feel this should be investigated 3s lipo dont offer much power

my board never crashed and is not stressed even the shrink as been cut and taped back on.

I have to say that the board was not installed perfectly horizontally. I improved that and it noticabely helped ahi
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
At this time Rudder/yaw is not controlled in AP modes, Correct?
Will it be possible to create a rudder mix for turns in AP soon?
Correct, Rudder not controlled at this time, it is set to neutral on autopilot mode. Yes, I can add a mix. Did not until now because aileron turns seems to be enough for autopilot control.

Quote:
What is the little marker sliding horizontally under the heading? It looks like a yaw indicator.
That's correct, it is a rate of turn indicator, it works from the inertial unit.

Quote:
My ahi did freeze in flight once
This is the very first report I have about this(there is quite few units sold ATM). Do you have a video of this?
The inertial unit can be upset by vibrations, also it could drift +-10 on both pitch and roll. Maybe more on very extreme 3D maneuvers and G-force levels, this is one of the issues that I have being working on, Every update released for the G5 has some improvement to the inertial unit.
The latest firmware can be found here on post#80, it is "experimental" but has being tested by a lot of people with no bad issues reported.
Besides I have tested it a lot myself:
RVOSD, more tests on the inertial unit (3 min 25 sec)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't record my flight, I know I should just in case.
Like I said it happened only once.

I had a quick look at this video and geez this one work really well.

I will have a look at that post. (after looking, I have already those installed)

I use it in a glider and use the motor for less than 10% of the time.
On the debug screen the vibrations level is around 25% of the scale when motor run.

I will redo my physical installation to perfectly aligned.

Return home work well, It's just that 10 deg drift tend to make me nervous at 8 km out there.

I appreciate you take time to answer

Thanks

Michel
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Last edited by michelcote; Aug 30, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: checked info
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
The thing is: I fly on a very wide radius from home, usually 10km on more. So I am not just a programmer, I do also use my own OSD on distances and altitudes way beyond the average FPV pilot do.
Also I use Frsky systems to the very edge of RC control, thus each time there is a glitch it last for few seconds. Never ever the RVOSD firmware has crashed, neither I had the AHI to get frizzed. This are things that I am very careful to check while I am programming, so not even on the debug flight stages I could had such problems. No firmware goes public until I had made extensive tests on this, so no, there is no risk on using RVOSD at any distance from home unless you didn't have it configured properly. This is why you have to test it on safe range.
If you adjust the autopilot properly, make sure vibrations are safe at cruise and glide throttle levels, there is absolutely no way RVOSD autopilot could crash your plane.
I repeat, never ever I have experienced or I had reports of a software bug causing a plane to crash after a correct configuration and tests of the autopilot.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Aug 30, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Years ago I spent a lot of time thinking what to buy - ET or RVOSD. After about 6 months of investigation, reading, comparing etc. I decided to go for RVOSD. Since then I have *never* regret this decision.

I got a bunch of other OSDs now, but they are all good just for one thing: to let me know how good RVOSD is. I've got two friends, flying FPV, they have the same opinion.

I have nothing to do with RangeVideo, in fact, I don't like some of their products (some antennas, servo stretcher and HP goggles), but RVOSD is A+++ grade product.

For now there is only one thing I'm missing with RVOSD - throttle protection, because it causes me some troubles more times, but it's pure software problem and I'm sure Alex will solve this soon - then the RVOSD will be flawless and God may use it for flying FPV :-)
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,352 Posts
What do you mean by throttle protection?

Alex, what is the scale on the vario along the inside of the altimeter tape? What is the rate of climb/descent for full scale deflection?