to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:43 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
You need to set neutrals after you trimmed out the plane ... remember to save after , or they will be lost when you disconnect the battery.
Make any real world flight to the air. Neutral. In other words if your sticks are left alone without a controller, that is good.
When a controller is told to be governing a good flight frame it will (neutralize) and fly that frame a very long distance.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:01 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
I am a DOSD user thinking about switching over because of the outstanding support I see Alex providing. Daniel Wee used to do the same for the DOSD, but he has been absent from the forums for so long, I am considering defecting.
I am in the process of comparing features, and of course there is always pros & cons, and I can't cherry pick my perfect OSD.
One feaure I will miss is the onboard data recording of the DOSD. After my flight the DOSD generates a tiny .kml flight log file that opens right into Goole Earth. (see attached). I know RVOSD can do this with RVGS, but that requires setting up a lot more equipment.
Alex, is it possible that this feature maybe added in the future? Flyandi made a bluetooth device that uses a smartphone to access all OSD menus, load waypoints and flight plans from google maps, and display flight log files wirelessly at the field. You should consider having him make one for the RVOSD too, it is so convenient!
I also like that DOSD can RTH at current altitude, then once circling home, start a slow descent to cruise altitude, or even to the ground (if desired). This is safer if flying around terrain. Of course I can't get the DOSD to actually do any of this vertical navigation reliably, which is why I'm here today.

Thank you.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:25 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
What is the hardware difference between 5.0 and 5.1?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,520 Posts
Hawaii! Man you would have some slope sites to DIE for there! I flew in to Oahu a few years back and just drooled at the fantastic looking coastal cliffs that seem to be everywhere.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
RVOSD can't do logs because it has no memory for that. It can do logs when paired to the telemetry decoder on ground(via video signal) but this require the use of a laptop at the field. However the RVGS is not on stock at this moment.

The altitude management is based first on a slow decent leveled and low on throttle, and then actively trying to keep a fixed cruise altitude. At this moment there is no chance to set a second altitude level at home distance, only reason I can think for adding this, is in case of a very catastrophic failure of RC signal rendering the user unable to regain RC control ones the airplane is hovering overhead. Anyways this is something that can be implemented on the future, I am thinking on adding quite few features, and one of them could be this. Or even better, the ability to set an auto-land procedure on the menu.

The menu settings can be adjusted using a remote IR control, USB port for configuration and the Rc Tx(limited adjusts on this mode). There is no bluetooth at this moment.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
What is the hardware difference between 5.0 and 5.1?
Hi iskess good to see you again come on over to RVOSD. The difference is .1 better lol.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
RVOSD can't do logs because it has no memory for that. It can do logs when paired to the telemetry decoder on ground(via video signal) but this require the use of a laptop at the field. However the RVGS is not on stock at this moment.

The altitude management is based first on a slow decent leveled and low on throttle, and then actively trying to keep a fixed cruise altitude. At this moment there is no chance to set a second altitude level at home distance, only reason I can think for adding this, is in case of a very catastrophic failure of RC signal rendering the user unable to regain RC control ones the airplane is hovering overhead. Anyways this is something that can be implemented on the future, I am thinking on adding quite few features, and one of them could be this. Or even better, the ability to set an auto-land procedure on the menu.

The menu settings can be adjusted using a remote IR control, USB port for configuration and the Rc Tx(limited adjusts on this mode). There is no bluetooth at this moment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it must take a lot of time to respond to all of us and I really appreciate that.

1) I wasn't meaning a different altitude for home, although that would be another solution. With the DOSD, you can set a low cruise altitude, say 75m. Then you can change descent modes in the menu, one of them being a command to maintain present altitude until reaching home, then a descent to cruise alt. So if you are exploring the mountains at 500m and require RTH, the plane will fly home at 500m, then start circling home while descending to cruise altitude or 75m.

2) I love the idea of having the RVOSD autoland. I have seen videos of the uThere Ruby doing successful autolands in a strong wind and it was simply amazing. Does the RVOSD have all the hardware (w/ airspeed) it needs to do this, so its just a matter of coding? (no simple task to be sure).
uThere Ruby autopilot autonomous landing in strong crosswind (2 min 57 sec)

3) RE: the bluetooth, the RVOSD wouldn't need it. The Dragon Commander is sold by a 3rd party, Flyandi, and it just plugs into the OSD and stays onboard to transmit data wirelessly to your phone or tablet. The beauty is that most of us already have a phone in our pocket with internet connectivity. So you can plot your waypoints on google maps and upload them on the spot.

4) Is it possible to add names to the waypoints, or is there not enough onboard memory? It would be hard to remember 15 waypoints.

5) What hardware differences are there between 5.0 and 5.1? Is there any feature now or in the future that 5.1 will have, but 5.0 won't? Airspeed is the most important to me.

Thanks again.
Last edited by iskess; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Hawaii! Man you would have some slope sites to DIE for there! I flew in to Oahu a few years back and just drooled at the fantastic looking coastal cliffs that seem to be everywhere.
Lani Kai ridge is just about 1km further down the coast than the furthest point on that ground track. My goal is to get there, and shut down my TwinStar motors and soar for as long as my video battery will allow, then RTH. There are so many great ridge sites that are not accessible, but with FPV it opens up a whole new world!
Come join me!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
863 Posts
Hi guys, im having a hard time setting up RTH and AP on my 9x. Im trying to set it up on my 3 position switch. Dose the RVOSD know when its activated? Im waiting on a new camera so i can go throw the osd menu.
9x menu im not too famillure with and dont know the setting.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,241 Posts
check on the rv forum to set up the 3 pos switch
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
863 Posts
Ok thank you.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
933 Posts
RVOSD vs EagleTree poll :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721707
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Never had eagletree, never wanted eagletree. I read the manual and all the forums for eagletree and concluded it was too complicated and modular for my needs. Purchased rvosd and couldn't be happier.

You can also see how many ET there are for sale in the classifieds vs. RVOSD. That's a good indicator.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
I tried both
Eagletree = way more wiring this is the major drawback for the rest it works good

I still prefer rvosd but the firmware or sensors are not stable ahi need reboot sometime and gps lock is long. Variometer and angle over horizon make a really Good tool for gliders. I just let it warm for a couple minutes and do a hard reboot it help to stabilise ahi reading. But in flight it can freeze or drift. Not good when far out. Rth use ahi...

My friend put a capacitor on his gps to help it remind positions of satellites and it takes now 50 sec to lock instead of 4 minutes.

Despite all this i still use it because most of the time it works and for ease of wiring

I think that this system can be unbeatable if sensors were more robust and firmware doesnt have bugs.

R Montiel took a big chance gooing this far on this system. For a job like this I would go with eagle tree wich dont freeze.

I keep it because I feel that those drawbacks will eventually be corrected

Cheers
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote