HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
so..... it appears there are no less than 8 parameters to adjust for ap roll.
Would you say This is the general order to make adjusts. Feel free to comment
Stabilization roll gain (50):
This parameter will set how much the autopilot will deflect the controlled flight surfaces to set the plane roll requested by the autopilot navigation module.
max roll angle
Heading proportional gain (40):
When the AHI source is set to Thermopiles or IMU, then this parameter will set the desired bank angle instead of direct aileron deflection.
Heading Integral gain (40):
When the AHI source is set to Thermopiles or IMU, this parameter will make additional corrections if the heading keeps unchanged because autopilot correction is not enough to roll the plane due to AHI errors.
Heading derivative gain (30):
When the AHI source is set to Thermopiles or IMU, this parameter will make the same action on the correction of the heading changes (smoother changes of heading).
Turn rate gain (0):
IF these gain itís set to anything but zero, the amount of Roll angle will proportionally cancel any pitch correction, allowing better heading control. Gains higher than 1, will add a proportionally related to roll, pitch up command.
Heading limit (50):
When the AHI source is set to Thermopiles or IMU, this parameter will limit the heading error to avoid excessive angles requested by the navigation module.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Stabilization roll(pitch) gain and Max roll(pitch) angle is all you need to tweak if you feel lazy. The defaults work for most airplanes but this two menus need to be adjusted on the less aerodynamic models with low surface control authority.
The other gains are there for those on the quest for excellence. You can ignore them if you want, like most people do.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Oh I want the excellence obviously but its a process to get there, Trying to get the basics first and have a workable AP. I love a challenge and like the fact there are so many parameters to work with. There's a lot of information available but very hard to apply and organize. Once I get more skilled at using this maybe I'll put together a user guide for dummies. I'll be out tweaking and flying tomorrow. Kinda want to get it worked out on my HK EPP FPV, I have the new 1880 condor SW on deck! thanks for all your time today!
Gary
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts

Hi

I recently buyed a rvosd and there is many features I like.
There is one thing that I need to sort.
Some times the AHI freeze in flight,
yesterday many values were really jumpy speed vsi home arrow altutide
Tried software reboot on ground. the ahi went bezerk even after multiple reboot
After unplugging/plugging batterie everything went fine.

So I am not very confident to go out on long distance with a not so stable behavior. Is it firmware related ? I take time to correctly boot the system and dont move the airplane while calibrating.

My friend is even worse. his gps takes 4-5 min even when replugging is batterie after 30 sec sometime his ahi begin to drift in level flight and influence the fly by wire.

For my other friend it seem fine but he has 5.0

Can this be related ?

Thanks
michelcote is offline Find More Posts by michelcote
Last edited by michelcote; Aug 22, 2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Error in text
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Are you using a single lipo or main and separate auxiliary battery?
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
I use a 4S battery on the main
from this battery I put a 12V regulator for my camera/VTX. This goes thru the board as if it were a lipo.

Can this cause a problem ?

It does not seem related to me. Main batt jumper are disabled.

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:23 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Try powering via the aux input first. Allow the RVOSD to complete its 30 second calibration, undisturbed, then connect the main battery. There have been some issues with the startup sequence I believe.
Read this thread, esp. post 16:
http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...l-horizon-lags
Cheers
Frank
Last edited by ommadawn; Aug 22, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
Thanks, I will try to power the board trough the aux batt first.

I will need to change my setup for that

Everything is wired in parallel and I need to solder new connections to be able to do that
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
I have an R/C slide switch between my Aux 3s lipo and the RVOSD. Saves messing with plugs and stuff
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
RTH throttle

Just want to confirm RVOSD will set throttle to Cruise or Glide settings (depending on altitude) when radio link is lost and Enable Autopilot is set to RTH, .
Correct?
Last edited by picard10th; Aug 23, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Oct 2009
137 Posts
Hi

After much anticipation my RVOSD arrived this week. I connected it up for testing to my 5v camera and a small display screen. Everything seems to work fine and I've been experimenting with various display settings.

After initialization and the home position is set I notice that the altitude does not reset to zero but stays at about 30,300m. Distance from home shows about 2m but LOS says 30.3km! Altitude is set to barometer. If I set altitude to GPS then the altitude resets to about zero. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? A bad barometer maybe or have I missed something?
GavinW is online now Find More Posts by GavinW
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
I had bad baro and temp readings when I used a dvr as a camera feed for testing, Doesnt make sense to me but when I switched to a ccd cam It worked fine. Make sure jumpers are set correctly and try a different cam if possible. I set it to view both altitude readings.
Good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinW View Post
Hi

After much anticipation my RVOSD arrived this week. I connected it up for testing to my 5v camera and a small display screen. Everything seems to work fine and I've been experimenting with various display settings.

After initialization and the home position is set I notice that the altitude does not reset to zero but stays at about 30,300m. Distance from home shows about 2m but LOS says 30.3km! Altitude is set to barometer. If I set altitude to GPS then the altitude resets to about zero. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? A bad barometer maybe or have I missed something?
A friend of mine and I had a similar problem on our G4 upgraded to G5 boards. The altitude was wrong and the temp was wrong. We had to switch to GPS and then switch back to barometer and then save the settings. After that it has worked fine.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined Mar 2011
33 Posts
For those who had bad baro and temp reading try this. I will try to explain as good as i can (english is not my mother language):
1) First of all connect everything to the osd EXCEPT the camera (servos, motor, gps, current sensor etc.)
2) Power up the OSD connecting the MAIN battery
3) Inmediately after step 2 connect the camera to the OSD

Try it and tell me if it works. I had the same problem with a new RVOSD 5.1 and i solved it doing that.

Cheers
aguriga is offline Find More Posts by aguriga
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2009
137 Posts
Rc-mike, Picard10th

Thanks for the replies. That's encouraging. I'll try switch to a ccd cam and standard video transmitter to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
Gavin
GavinW is online now Find More Posts by GavinW