HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Has anyone experienced any "ghosting" image of the AHI? It's like a double image everything else on the screen is stable
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
On the latest firmware there is an option to set the radius around target for all autopilot modes. If you set the radius to zero, it will do the figure eight patterns of older firmware.

Check this for better understanding of heading corrections.

The ghosting AHI is a left over of the testing stages. It can be toggled by using the set neutrals menu. If you save configuration after toggle it OFF, it will not show the next time you turn the OSD ON.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
On the latest firmware there is an option to set the radius around target for all autopilot modes. If you set the radius to zero, it will do the figure eight patterns of older firmware.

Check this for better understanding of heading corrections.

The ghosting AHI is a left over of the testing stages. It can be toggled by using the set neutrals menu. If you save configuration after toggle it OFF, it will not show the next time you turn the OSD ON.
Wow, I hope it's that easy. I'll be a happy camper because everything else is perfect!
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:40 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
[QUOTE=Elcheapo;22468328]On the latest firmware there is an option to set the radius around target for all autopilot modes. If you set the radius to zero, it will do the figure eight patterns of older firmware.

Thats what I needed, thanks!
Now whats it called? RTH loiter radius?
Affects position hold too?
Waypoints have separate loiter radius correct?

latest firm is 5.07 correct?
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
RTH- Instead of making a 90 deg left turn toward home it turns right 370 deg why wouldn't it chose the closest route?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
RTH- Instead of making a 90 deg left turn toward home it turns right 370 deg why wouldn't it chose the closest route?
It seems to me your AP aileron directions are wrong. Can you run wizard again?
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
It seems to me your AP aileron directions are wrong. Can you run wizard again?
Easy to check but wouldnt that just keep it going away from home?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
Menu item RTH loiter radius Menu page AP 2/3.
It does affect autopilot modes RTH and position hold. On the Waypoint sequencer mode there is a separate setting for each waypoint, but at this moment you have to set it to zero, else it is possible that it keeps circling around the first waypoint.
Note that it can be set to Clock wise(CW) and counter clock wise(CCW). Thats the cause that it trying to steer outside home when it is inside the RTH set radius.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Ah Ha, that explains a lot, Thank you! however it took the long way around while it was well outside the loiter radius. Heres a quick clip...
http://youtu.be/Y9FXoyTzrao

I'm not trying to nipick just trying to understand how this works.
Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
Autopilot accuracy depends on many factors:
-Airplane capability to change heading by aileron use.
-Tweaking of the autopilot gains, defaults are ok to do the job, but there is a limit for bank and pitch.
-Authority of control surfaces.
-Airplane airspeed vs wind strength an direction on the flying area.

About the RTH taking an unexpected direction on the video it could be clearer if you think about the desired RTH loiter direction(default is clockwise), and RTH loiter radius (default is 250 feets) vs distance to home.
Take a look at all the factors above, look at the max heading change capability with the actual settings and it becomes more understandable why the airplane takes its time to come back home and could not be successful keeping the perfect circle above.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,977 Posts
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Last edited by ROCKY2; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
That makes sense except I have rth loiter radius set CW 50' so a left turn sure would make more sense. It's not a big deal just wondering if it is something that needs to be addressed. Don't want theses things thinking on their own lol.

would a clockwise radius cause a clockwise turn even if heading is only off by few degrees
Last edited by picard10th; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
First you have to think if a 50 feet radius is a reasonable setting. On my flying wing making a turn at 40 roll, while maintaining altitude takes a minimum radius of 500feets with default settings.
Anyways, watching the video again it seems like the autopilot is too much conservative on the turn. My guess is that either you changed the defaults or didn't stored the maximum servo values properly(during the RC wizard).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Your right Alex that plane probably can't do a 100' circle but I thought it would keep the home point as tight as possible I'll increase that if it creats a problem.

I'll also chect the max servo values. that plane (epp fpv) is a slow pig thats why Ive been try to find out what to adjust to tighten the turn. Digging through the Range forums I see where you said to "alternately increase heading proportional gain until you see the turn gets tighter, or until it does not has any more effect. Then increase the limit and proportional gains alternating."
That the kind of advise that really helps us.
Should turn rate gain be factored in too?

Did we answer the turn direction question?

thanks again!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
You have to start by increasing the stabilization proportional gains, get them up until the associated axis start to oscillate, then get them down again like 5 points past the no oscillation point.
Then follow the suggestions here: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...er-turn-radius
Do all tests at enough altitude so you can get manual control back on case anything goes wrong.
A low value on the loiter radius does not cause any problem, just that the autopilot cant keep the radius and will make close to figure eight patterns instead.