SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
I know i have to change settininfs but it seems like i only can use Thermopiles if i have rvosd usb pointing backwards.
It worked fine for me like that, just one setting to change.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
How do i extend the gps cable? i have cut it on half and have a cat 5 cable to extend it with but there is a cable that goes arround all the cables, where do i connect this?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
How do i extend the gps cable? i have cut it on half and have a cat 5 cable to extend it with but there is a cable that goes arround all the cables, where do i connect this?
The wire wrapped around the outside is a shield and maybe a ground. You can hook it together with what ever you are using to make the extension. You also could use and old USB cable to make the extension.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Last edited by vertcnc; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:20 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
You need 50 ohm cable. Yes, it could make a difference as the cable otherwise would act like an impedance transformer. Not likely that something would happen since this is the receiving side of things, but you get better reception with a matched impedance.

Check for an apropriate RG58 or RG316 coax cable. They can be bought off ebay for not much money.

HTH

Markus
Thanks for clearing that up for me Markus.
I ordered one of these to hook up with.
Dirt cheap and included postage!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8in-N-mal...#ht_2515wt_856
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,640 Posts
Quote:
Just a question, is IMU better than Thermopiles? OR whats thw difference? Because i changed the direction of the board with usb backwards but when I go right the ahi seems to go to the left instead?
Yes, IMU is built-in in your RVOSD 5.1 and thermopiles are external IR-sensors, do you have those? If not do not change to thermopiles. Also, even if you have thermopiles, change to IMU it's better in most cases. A suggestion is to really read the instructions... feels like I'm repeating myself. You WILL find almost all of your answers there and get a better understanding of your OSD. Every menu setting is explained as well as having good guides, but you already know this I guess.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me Markus.
I ordered one of these to hook up with.
Dirt cheap and included postage!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8in-N-mal...#ht_2515wt_856
Asuming the patch has an "N" Type connector and your vrx is SMA, that looks good.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
What is the life expectancy of the GPS battery for Gen 2/4? Any substitute on replacement?
Jumpjet101 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpjet101
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Stay airborne my friends
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Nov 2004
998 Posts
I put the GPS from a Dragon OSD on mine. The stock one was very slow at getting a lock. Sometimes I would sit for 30 minutes and finally give up. The DOSD one gets a lock within a couple of minutes most of the time.
rc-mike is offline Find More Posts by rc-mike
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Would an eagletree GPS communicate? anyone know the baud rate of the RVOSD gps?

My eagle tree unit was definitely faster and more reliable with getting a lock.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Yes, IMU is built-in in your RVOSD 5.1 and thermopiles are external IR-sensors, do you have those? If not do not change to thermopiles. Also, even if you have thermopiles, change to IMU it's better in most cases. A suggestion is to really read the instructions... feels like I'm repeating myself. You WILL find almost all of your answers there and get a better understanding of your OSD. Every menu setting is explained as well as having good guides, but you already know this I guess.
Hi Boopidoo,
I was wondering if you had ever had any response from adjusting turn rate gain? Its one control that doesnt seem to do anything. I have tried to see what happens on the ground with it, but cant see any difference. My understanding is that it should bias the elevator servo to pitch up the nose a little when the aircraft banks, but simulating this on the ground by tilting the plane doesnt result in any elevator servo movement, even if the turn rate gain is increased. Any ideas?
Cheers
Frank
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,039 Posts
Next question for anyone. My new LS4 motorglider drops its nose and accelerates when the airbrakes are opened. It certainly brings the plane down, but the speed increase makes landings "interesting". I know I can manually pitch the nose up, but would like to tune the pitch change out of the plane. As I usually fly in FBW, would I be better off mixing UP elevator on the RC tx, into the airbrakes, or adjusting the A/P pitch gain, to add compensation for the nose down attiude caused by the brakes?
I know experimentation is in order, but considered opinions are appreciated also
Cheers
Frank
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Next question for anyone. My new LS4 motorglider drops its nose and accelerates when the airbrakes are opened. It certainly brings the plane down, but the speed increase makes landings "interesting". I know I can manually pitch the nose up, but would like to tune the pitch change out of the plane. As I usually fly in FBW, would I be better off mixing UP elevator on the RC tx, into the airbrakes, or adjusting the A/P pitch gain, to add compensation for the nose down attiude caused by the brakes?
I know experimentation is in order, but considered opinions are appreciated also
Cheers
Frank
If you can I would mix it in the radio.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,039 Posts
Hi Gary,
When I reread my post I realised the answer was obvious. The plane should react without FBW, so mixing is in order. However I think FBW should still keep the nose up better than it does, so I will try a bit of both. Certainly I will test adding mixing with FBW off though. Then wind up the pitch gain a bit.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
It fit fine in my bixler, behind the spar in the interior part the roof is flat so i mounted it there on some foam to remove vibrations. then cut a little hatch in the belly so i could wire everything to it.
can you post a pic of it?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
can you post a pic of it?
No, the plane is in a dumpster now, check out the bixler thread if you want to see how to cut a hatch in. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533848
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre