HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
just to be clear...the RSVODV5 will show both main and aux battery voltages?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Two questions:

1- The temperature value that OSD shows is outside temp? Where's the sensor located?
2- The angle in upper right screen is related to what?

thanks
datyip is offline Find More Posts by datyip
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
just to be clear...the RSVODV5 will show both main and aux battery voltages?
Yep.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datyip View Post
Two questions:

1- The temperature value that OSD shows is outside temp? Where's the sensor located?
2- The angle in upper right screen is related to what?

thanks
1- Depends, it is internal temperature. But if the external probe is connected, sill display external temperature.
2- Angle between the airplane and the observer's(pilot) local horizon.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
How well does the fly by wire work?? Any videos from a flying wing?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Worked well enough for me.

I flicked it on and it was fairly easy to steer with rudder only. As stated above you do have to manage the throttle yourself. If you set it too low you slowly start losing alt. If you set it too high you tend to maintain alt but just fly a little faster.

I plan to test it further sometime this week. Will post vid.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA View Post
Worked well enough for me.

I flicked it on and it was fairly easy to steer with rudder only. As stated above you do have to manage the throttle yourself. If you set it too low you slowly start losing alt. If you set it too high you tend to maintain alt but just fly a little faster.

I plan to test it further sometime this week. Will post vid.
I think you are using FBW mode on RVOSD the same way you use any other stabilization system, and that's not the way it is supposed to work.
It is not like the autopilot use ailerons and elevator to level the plane while you steer with rudder.
The way it works is the autopilot will analyze your aileron and elevator inputs, setting pitch and roll angles proportional to stick deflections. So if you want to bank left you move aileron stick left, but the autopilot will actively keep the plane at the desired angle, so when stick is released the airplane will go back to level immediately. Max angles allowed for both pitch and roll are selected on the menu.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:08 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Quote:
This is a clip from my Maxie Swift with a Gen 4 RVOSD. I always fly with FBW engaged. The occasional turbulence is from thermal activity.

http://vimeo.com/16632294
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
This is a clip from my Maxie Swift with a Gen 4 RVOSD. I always fly with FBW engaged. The occasional turbulence is from thermal activity.

http://vimeo.com/16632294
Is that stabilized by the IMU of the RVOSD5? That is what I'm most interested in
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Is that stabilized by the IMU of the RVOSD5? That is what I'm most interested in
Gen 4 and under utilized FMA IR sensors. Gen 5 uses IMU's which are a better solution. The stabilization results seem the same to me. IMU's will work in a cloud where IR sensors will not.
With an unstable plane like most wings it reduces the work load while still giving you the control desired. I use FBW all of the time even on autostable planes because it takes care of wind gusts and thermal activity so your not constantly cranking the stick. If for whatever reason you want it off it is controlled switched by a radio switch.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I think you are using FBW mode on RVOSD the same way you use any other stabilization system, and that's not the way it is supposed to work.
It is not like the autopilot use ailerons and elevator to level the plane while you steer with rudder.
The way it works is the autopilot will analyze your aileron and elevator inputs, setting pitch and roll angles proportional to stick deflections. So if you want to bank left you move aileron stick left, but the autopilot will actively keep the plane at the desired angle, so when stick is released the airplane will go back to level immediately. Max angles allowed for both pitch and roll are selected on the menu.
I see what you are saying but that's pretty much what I want. I'm going to be using my camera to look down on the world. I don't want to have to worry about keeping my airplane flying. I just want to make slow lazy boat turns with my rudder while I look straight down.

I wish I didn't have to manage my throttle or elevator at all and it would manage my altitude for me, but that's not really too big a deal. I can set the throttle and just give a touch of elevator when I need it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,887 Posts
Bushman you will Love FBW. Its brilliant for thermalling. You just bank into the lift and sit back. It does all the work keeping the plane stable during gusts.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:19 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Bushman you will Love FBW. Its brilliant for thermalling. You just bank into the lift and sit back. It does all the work keeping the plane stable during gusts.
and if you just crank the roll trim over a few clicks you can be hands-off while riding the thermals.
johnorama is online now Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorama View Post
and if you just crank the roll trim over a few clicks you can be hands-off while riding the thermals.
I will try this.
It will be interesting watching the video while rotating over a bumpy ride of a thermal uplift. Most of my flying is done with trimming with a FY stabilizer.
From what I have read the plane will react similar with FBW on the RVOSD.
I hope Borneobear will finish his UAV pilot instruction manual soon
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:29 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
'rvosd5 first osd with imu autopilot'

crashmeup, first person to fly fpv!
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp