Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Tiverton
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
The procedure to avoid crash on this situation could not be more simple and logical. toggle the same knob you used to enable autopilot mode. So you take manual control back.
At the same time since the IMU is fixed to the OSD board you could expect that having the board getting lose from the airframe will cause the attitude indication to be different on both reference systems.
Well thanks for that, I guess I must be simple and not logical then, It happened so quickly I didnt react, Maybe with your experience I would have!!
sheep600fx is offline Find More Posts by sheep600fx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Sorry I didn't meant to be offensive. Was talking about that not being stated on the manual. In your case, of course if that happens at low altitude you could have no time to react.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Tiverton
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
I may have taken this wrong but it almost sounded arrogant, I had carefully checked vibration levels and had even posted a video for Alex to look at to check it was ok before flying, Please remember that lots of people including myself are coming to the RVOSD with little or no previous experience of AHI or OSD's, I admit I panicked when it started tipping as you can see from the frantic screen flicking lol, If I had been higher Im sure I could have avoided the crash, Again if I took it the wrong way I apologise, Bit of a sore subject I guess :-)
sheep600fx is offline Find More Posts by sheep600fx
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
I want to note here that when you use the FBW mode on RVOSD autopilot, It is is on command of your plane. So the same way a lose servo will cause you to get control lost, a lose OSD board will cause the attitude indication to be affected, affecting also the control of the airplane.
The way I manage this new capability added by RVOSD is to make really sure everything is working as it should while being inside radio range and at enough altitude to recover manual control back.
Test few flights, get used to it, and when you are familiar with it. You can stress the system having sure it will respond as it should.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,801 Posts
Quote:
I want to note here that when you use the FBW mode on RVOSD autopilot, It is is on command of your plane. So the same way a lose servo will cause you to get control lost, a lose OSD board will cause the attitude indication to be affected, affecting also the control of the airplane.

One quick question. I've only had a 20 min flight with this baby so I'm still unsure about a few things.

In FBW mode, does the autopilot have any control of the throttle at all? Will it maintain altitude by giving throttle? I'd love to be able to steer the airplane around with nothing but rudder and not have to worry about my altitude.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Nope, on FBW mode you have manual control over throttle. The autopilot will set plane attitude based on your stick controls. But you could try to find if the other autopilot modes will suit your needs:
-Heading hold will keep heading and altitude.
-Position hold will keep loitering around the position and altitude at the moment of activation.
In all modes throttle is in manual mode, but you just need to keep the throttle so the motor has enough thrust to allow autopilot to do slow climbs if needed.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Nope, on FBW mode you have manual control over throttle. The autopilot will set plane attitude based on your stick controls. But you could try to find if the other autopilot modes will suit your needs:
-Heading hold will keep heading and altitude.
-Position hold will keep loitering around the position and altitude at the moment of activation.
In all modes throttle is in manual mode, but you just need to keep the throttle so the motor has enough thrust to allow autopilot to do slow climbs if needed.
I assume that you need to set a sensible failsafe throttle position on the rx for the return to home function to work then ?
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
In RTH mode throttle is managed by the OSD. It works on two levels. Level 1 is used when the altitude is way over cruise altitude, Level 2 will be used when the autopilot is trying to keep cruise altitude. Altitude is controlled by pitching the airplane up and down.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,702 Posts
And now for Blues super bizzare question:

I'm going to be taking an airline for a trip this summer. I take the RVOSD on board the plane and power it up set a waypoint to where I'm going to land.

1. Will it work?

2. Is it legal?

I assume its legal because I won't be transmitting anything, just have the GPS receiver plugged in.

Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:28 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
In RTH mode throttle is managed by the OSD. It works on two levels. Level 1 is used when the altitude is way over cruise altitude, Level 2 will be used when the autopilot is trying to keep cruise altitude. Altitude is controlled by pitching the airplane up and down.
Altitude control is unique.
How I have been taught in a real plane is that throttle manages altitude.
Pitch will adjust airspeed and turns will also.
It is important to add throttle before changing pitch up or starting a turn.
If the airspeed is not maintained a stall can occur.
I am yet to experience the RVOSD with FPV it will be interesting.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Last edited by EarthOrbiter; Jul 11, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
It's about time someone said it. This is the biggest fault I see with all osd's.
They all want to use pitch to climb. Thank you for says the right way. Now maybe someone will get it right.
Marc.
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:02 AM
VaZ
TheFlyer_PT
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

I'm going to be taking an airline for a trip this summer. I take the RVOSD on board the plane and power it up set a waypoint to where I'm going to land.

1. Will it work?

2. Is it legal?

I assume its legal because I won't be transmitting anything, just have the GPS receiver plugged in.

Blues
I've done that a couple of times with a Garmin C60CSx to track my flights from Portugal to Angola, works fine but you'll need to keep it near the window to get GPS signal. I assume it will work with the RVOSD board too..

Vaz.
VaZ is offline Find More Posts by VaZ
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

1. Will it work?

2. Is it legal?

Blues

The bigger question is this: Do you really want to get treated like a terrorist by the TSA for having an evil looking electronic device with blinking LEDs and wires? You will get an anal probe and then they take away your RVOSD and your birthday.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
It's about time someone said it. This is the biggest fault I see with all osd's.
They all want to use pitch to climb. Thank you for says the right way. Now maybe someone will get it right.
Marc.
I cant see anything wrong with that if you set a limit for the maximum allowed pitch angle, and set cruise throttle so when the airplane is trying to control altitude it can keep the climbing at maximum allowed pitch.
Only problem could be when the battery starts to get empty. But RVOSD autopilot is meant to be an aid for FPV, so you should be able to anticipate that point and take the plane back. empty battery out of radio range will cause a crash anyways.
I had tested what happened when there is no throttle and the autopilot is trying to pitch up my flying wing, and found that it does not stall, autopilot does lost authority on the elevator and it just land flat.
At the end of this video you can see that happening:
FRsky+1W amp+14dBi patch, 40km (7 min 3 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
I don't promote anyone to do this, but it is what happens in your maiden flight when RVOSD G5 is properly configured and you turn off the transmitter by accident (auto take off) :

20110702 Ka-8 Gen5 add first time flight (2 min 51 sec)