HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp View Post
How did you kill it? Any advice to avoid?
Thanks
Yeah, dont fly your plane into the ocean or more to the point check your clevises are attached properly.

One thing I did differently this time was to setup the plane using a heli mix instead of acro. Did this so that I can have both RTH and another flight mode on separate switches. Im using a throttle hold switch to drop the throttle into failsafe. Before I had to navigate thru the in flight menu and toggle RTH/Fly by Wire/Heading Hold. Never liked the idea of switching off the radio to engage RTH its much easier now having it on a switch.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Yeah, dont fly your plane into the ocean or more to the point check your clevises are attached properly.

One thing I did differently this time was to setup the plane using a heli mix instead of acro. Did this so that I can have both RTH and another flight mode on separate switches. Im using a throttle hold switch to drop the throttle into failsafe. Before I had to navigate thru the in flight menu and toggle RTH/Fly by Wire/Heading Hold. Never liked the idea of switching off the radio to engage RTH its much easier now having it on a switch.
Ahh that's cool, so you're forcing RTH by making the RVOSD detect the failsafe condition

I too don't like the idea of navigating menus to change modes

My radio can have throttle hold in acro mode
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,796 Posts
Should double check my radio im pretty sure there was no throttle hold in acro that why i went with the heli mix.

Would be nice if they made an update so you could put 3 separate flight modes onto a 3 position switch. Guess you would need another aux channel coming out of the rvosd for that to work.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:29 AM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
hi.
maybe somebody will know whats wrong
http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...2889#post22889
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Hi,

I've been having some issues with my GPS struggling to get a lock and set home, and losing signal again after it had set home. I narrowed it down today that DragonLink kills it. If my DL tx is within a few meters of the aircraft then the GPS will lose signal and as soon as I switch off the tx it comes straight back.

Any ideas if I can overcome this?
RVOSD5
Latest DL version
Zephyr (bit hard to self launch without having the Tx next to the wing ;p)

Cheers,
Al
Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-plater View Post
Hi,

I've been having some issues with my GPS struggling to get a lock and set home, and losing signal again after it had set home. I narrowed it down today that DragonLink kills it. If my DL tx is within a few meters of the aircraft then the GPS will lose signal and as soon as I switch off the tx it comes straight back.

RVOSD5
Latest DL version

Cheers,
Al
Ask MIke (jetpilot).
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:56 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

RVOSD5
Latest DL version

Cheers,
Al
Put a low pass filter on your tx antenna. Readymaderc is one source.

Seperate the DL tx from your radio with a long cable, and put it on a boom away from where you stand or sit to fly.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Thanks billyd60,

I've just ordered a low pass filter which I'll try first. I think it would be a bit annoying to have the Tx tethered whilst trying to launch.

Cheers,
Al
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:20 AM
España, Comunidad de Madrid, San Sebastián de los Reyes
Joined Dec 2009
257 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

RVOSD5
Latest DL version

Cheers,
Al
Check both ends connectors, they are very fragile and it is easy to loose gps signal in a bad connector.

I always solder all GPS wires (both ends) directly to de PCB in all RVOSD. I had the same issue in all RVOSDs I had.

Best regards
Roberto Montiel
R. Montiel is offline Find More Posts by R. Montiel
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
60 Posts
question for rvosdv5 users

I am thinking of buying the rvosdv5 but I have one question

If I am in "fly by wire mode" and at a great distance such that I lose video reception ( which happens a fair amount at 6-8 miles out) for a few secs , how does one turn the RTH autopilot mode on if you can nto see the video and scroll thru the menus??

I don't want to have to turn the transmitter off to have it go into RTH ( will this even work??)

Please get back as I will buy/not buy this based on this feature
gzmann is offline Find More Posts by gzmann
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:21 AM
Still hackin'
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Nov 2005
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzmann View Post

If I am in "fly by wire mode" and at a great distance such that I lose video reception ( which happens a fair amount at 6-8 miles out) for a few secs , how does one turn the RTH autopilot mode on if you can nto see the video and scroll thru the menus??

I don't want to have to turn the transmitter off to have it go into RTH ( will this even work??)

Does your RX failsafe? If so set the failsafe condition as a RTH trigger so you can either a) switch off your Tx or b) emulate it by closing the throttle and pulling the trim back until it passes the value set. This works very well
Thanks to Blackrat who taught me this
Thermicdude is offline Find More Posts by Thermicdude
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:39 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Montiel View Post
Check both ends connectors, they are very fragile and it is easy to loose gps signal in a bad connector.

I always solder all GPS wires (both ends) directly to de PCB in all RVOSD. I had the same issue in all RVOSDs I had.

Best regards
Roberto Montiel
Thanks Roberto,

I haven't resolved it completely but can work around it by booting the OSD a few meters away from the DL tx and it will set home as per normal, then it will lose signal temporarily while I launch but regains within a few seconds, remembers where home is and works perfectly for the rest of the flight. I will try the filter and maybe smaller DL antenna also. The RVOSD is buried in the Zephyr and the GPS cable routed through holes in the foam so would be difficult to have it hard wired on this model. I plan on doing a sailplane soon so will keep that advice in mind.

Cheers,
Al
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:50 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzmann View Post

The RVOSD will trigger RTH if it sees the throttle output go either over max, or under min settings. This parameter is configured in the setup procedure. You then program your RC Rx failsafe to force the throttle to this setting when you lose signal. Its all done in a wizard part of the setup procedure, is very simple and completed in about 2 mins.

I have an auxiliary channel mixed in to my throttle channel. This gives me a dedicated RTH switch. When I throw the switch it forces the throttle to 110% which RVOSD sees and sets RTH on.
You wont regret getting RVOSD.
I have 4 of them.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,171 Posts
Im connecting up the OSD now , and wondering if im connecting the ESC 5v with all three wires to the throttle output channel?
octane81 is online now Find More Posts by octane81
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
yes. that will power your servo rail. along with rx.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me