HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
149 Posts
It has been asked multiple times, the last response from Elcheapo (RVOSD developer) was that he'll think about it.

Good you brought this question up again as I think this is very important feature to implement. At the moment, if the plane crashes with RTH failsafe, motor will continue to spin.
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:31 AM
TBs are GO!....FAB....no..FPV!
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Nov 2010
210 Posts
Yeah, it could save a motor and lipo let alone be safer if the plane lands near some people.

So long as the people are not picnicing on the side of a hill (ie. more than 20 metre altitude) or watching TV in their 6th storey apartment.

Still, a very needed and justified feature. IMO

It's a way of reducing the potential downfall (sorry for the pun) of the FPV recreation.
Phelec is online now Find More Posts by Phelec
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Jan 2008
933 Posts
How to make Fly-by-wire more responsive ?
I have gen5 RVOSD. While in fly-by-wire the elevator and aileron are not responsive enough.

I lowered the stabilization gains on the first auto-pilot menu page down to 15% but it didn't seem to give enough control.

Is there another way ?

Also - can I disable stabilization while not in center stick only ?

Thanks
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelec View Post
Does the RVOSD5 have the ability to cut the throttle if the plane decends below say..20Metres altitude while in failsafe mode?
If not,...maybe in an upcoming firmware update?
No it does not. Earlier on this same thread there is a discussion about this issue and my thoughts about. I always worked the firmware based on the assumption that the autopilot has to send the plane back to home, not that it will crash it. However I understand that it could happen, never implemented it because I thought it could cause some problems for those flying from slopes.
Yes, I will address this on the next patch.

Quote:
How to make Fly-by-wire more responsive ?
I have gen5 RVOSD. While in fly-by-wire the elevator and aileron are not responsive enough.
http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...en-in-FBW-mode
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
No it does not. Earlier on this same thread there is a discussion about this issue and my thoughts about. I always worked the firmware based on the assumption that the autopilot has to send the plane back to home, not that it will crash it. However I understand that it could happen, never implemented it because I thought it could cause some problems for those flying from slopes.
Yes, I will address this on the next patch.

http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...en-in-FBW-mode
I can see where this could cause more problems than it fixes. Recently I was flying a LONG way away, and dropped to -35 feet on the return flight. If I had needed RTH then, which was quite likely given the possibility of losing video at low elevation, that option would have not been available if the motor couldn't engage below a certain altitude..
If the plane crashes, its possible the motor or battery will disconnect anyway.
If not, then I am happy to risk trashing a motor or esc or lipo. Its part of the cost of a crash.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2008
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I can see where this could cause more problems than it fixes. Recently I was flying a LONG way away, and dropped to -35 feet on the return flight. If I had needed RTH then, which was quite likely given the possibility of losing video at low elevation, that option would have not been available if the motor couldn't engage below a certain altitude..
If the plane crashes, its possible the motor or battery will disconnect anyway.
If not, then I am happy to risk trashing a motor or esc or lipo. Its part of the cost of a crash.
So Alex can make it an option in the menu.

And why not make the motor stop spinning if speed is 0 (aircraft is on the ground).
This can save some fingers...
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
So Alex can make it an option in the menu.

And why not make the motor stop spinning if speed is 0 (aircraft is on the ground).
This can save some fingers...
Do you mean ground speed of 0. There is not an airspped option yet. What if you have a strong head wind, you could actually see 0 ground speed?
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Mar 2009
129 Posts
If your ground speed is 0 because of a strong head wind you should not be airborne anyway!
Most of my video/radio interferences happens when I'm flying low so whats the point of limiting by alt?
I'll go for the ground speed
HagayB is offline Find More Posts by HagayB
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Nov 2010
210 Posts
I can see the valid points from Ommadawn, Sharonx and vertcnc. It would have to be a user selectable option in the setup menu. I now see that a 0 speed trigger would be more practicle then a low altitude one. However as vertcnc suggested the plane's ground speed could be at 0 when travelling into a headwind. So, I think we would have to wait for a proper airspeed indicator and have it combined with the ground speed indicator.

So it would go like this:- When failsafe is activated and at some stage both air and ground speed are at 0, then the throttle would be cut. How does that sound? Have I missed something?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:33 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
149 Posts
I agree that user should be able to have an option to set if RTH should automatically disable on certain conditions.

It would be great if RVOSD could register the crash (strong G force jump, rapid gyro change) and, if the altitude is low (below 20 meters), turn off motor. If registered movement speed is greater than 20 km/h after 5 seconds, enable RTH again.

Also it would be nice if RTH did not engage if the plane has landed and user turns of a radio or looses connection with the plane. If IMU could register that landing was made, RTH failsafe should be disabled before the plane is launched again. It could look for the following parameters after landing is registered.

* Constand ~1G force registered by accelerometer.
* GPS movement speed is less than 5 km/h (if user picks up the plane and walks around)
* Altitude is less than 5-20 meters (because of baro drift, low GPS altitude precision)
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:48 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
748 Posts
My voice for disabling autopilot on the ground. GPS is not very good for checking this (it's not accurate), but there is accelerometer in RVOSDv5, so you can very easily check if the plane is in the ground or in the air.

No oscilations at all means the airplane is in the ground. If you've got good configured autopilot with failsafe it's pretty easy to make an accident - just turn off your radio before disconnecting the batteries in the airplane and you are pretty deep in troubles...
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:57 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,303 Posts
An automatic throttle off function is only needed in RTH mode. The most important reason for the function is to prevent an accidental motor start on the ground either before or after flight. A secondary purpose could be to turn the motor off after a crash but IMO this should not be added if it interferes with normal operations.
The simplest approach may be to use the gps and or baro and not let the motor start in RTH mode unless the aircraft is x distance above the ground or x distance from home. Obviously it would have to be a big enough value to allow for the inaccuracy of the sensors and the baro may be the best choice for control since there is a chance of losing home position during flight.
Either way the cut off should only be for throttle and RTH should not be disconnected if RC control is inactive.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Last edited by Gary Evans; Mar 15, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
300 Posts
Hi,

I'm having an issue with servo noise/chatter when connected via RVOSD5.

Servos are Inolab D750MG's going into a flying wing.

I have tested the servos directly into DL rx and they they make the usual slight digi servo noise but once connected to RVOSD5 they become very noisy. I have tested with vtx connected and disconnected which makes no difference. I have tested some other slower digi servos and whilst not as evident as the Inolabs, there is still a difference in the centering chatter between no RVOSD and RVOSD connection.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Al
Macattaka is online now Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Nov 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-plater View Post
Hi,

I'm having an issue with servo noise/chatter when connected via RVOSD5.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Al
For what it's worth, I suggest putting toroids on all servo wires close to each servo. Have at least 5 turns. Also have a largish electro capacitor across the supply line to the RVOSD5. Say a 2,200uf at 16 volt across the 5 volt input coming from the BEC (or ESC's BEC if you are using it that way).

Not a sure fire answer, but this is basic procedure in my installations. I do not own an RVOSD5 at the moment. Next week I hope it's different story But this is what I have done on my other planes. FY21AP with digital servos for example.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:15 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
Two days ago AHI of my RVOSD5 gave me some problems. During a short flight AHI began to malfunction. I landed immediately and I did some tests that you find in the video below. You will see that the AHI sometimes turns on itself, turn upside down and sometimes is blocked. You will see that I set Neural AHI several times but nothing. I have connected battery in RVOSD first and then battery in current sensor. I make the tests both with rx frsky connected and disconnected and RV board is oriented correctly. I think there is a malfunction and maybe it is better that I send RVOSD to you for a repair. My RVOSD5 is one of the first ordered on 06/23/2011.
My RVOSD5 is one of the first ordered on 06/23/2011 with order 14144.

I just try to Contact Range Video support two times with contact page form but no response came. Please reply to me with some indications on returns because I would like to repaire RVOSD and restart to fly... thank

Here you can find the video:

http://vimeo.com/38508064
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Last edited by IMEIV; Mar 16, 2012 at 04:22 AM.