SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:00 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Build Log
Keil Kraft Bantam

Having completed the Tomboy a couple of weeks ago (still waiting for the right conditions for flying pictures by the way), after doing a motor change and a few care and maintenance tasks on other models I have the itch to build something else for the 2011 build-off.

After a day of browsing plans and changing my mind umpteen times, I have decided on the Albert E Hatfull's Bantam design kitted by Keil Kraft. Albert was responsible for many of Keil Kraft's classics, such as the Senator, Dolphin and Junior 60, his designs being trademarked by the distinctive aerofoil style signature logo on the plan.

When Keil originally released the kit, they called it "Anzac", but upon finding that this name was protected in the antipodes as it was the name of the WWI army corps which fought with such great gallantry and loss at Gallipoli, the name was rapidly changed to "Bantam". Although my plan is an early one which shows the original name, not wishing to cause any offence to my Australian and New Zealand friends, this build will use the name Bantam.

So, I shall be cutting parts today, but decided to start this log so that there is no chance of me changing my mind yet again!

My version will be electric powered (BRC 120 watt outrunner) and rudder/elevator R/C of course.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Jun 19, 2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Additional information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:12 AM
Australia
Joined Aug 2008
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Having completed the Tomboy a couple of weeks ago (still waiting for the right conditions for flying pictures by the way), after doing a motor change and a few care and maintenance tasks on other models I have the itch to build something else for the 2011 build-off.

After a day of browsing plans and changing my mind umpteen times, I have decided on the Albert E Hatfull's Bantam design kitted by Keil Kraft. Albert was responsible for many of Keil Kraft's classics, such as the Senator, Dolphin and Junior 60, his designs being trademarked by the distinctive aerofoil style signature logo on the plan.

When Keil originally released the kit, they called it "Anzac", but upon finding that this name was protected in the antipodes as it was the name of the WWI army corps which fought with such great gallantry and loss at Gallipoli, the name was rapidly changed to "Bantam". Although my plan is an early one which shows the original name, not wishing to cause any offence to my Australian and New Zealand friends, this build will use the name Bantam.

So, I shall be cutting parts today, but decided to start this log so that there is no chance of me changing my mind yet again!

My version will be electric powered (BRC 120 watt outrunner) and rudder/elevator R/C of course.
Thanks for the sensitivity there mate. The letters in the name ANZAC stand for "Australian New Zealand Army Corp." We (Australia) celebrate ANZAC Day every year, just as the Americans have their Veteran.'s Day. I don't think anyone would have been offended.
hyphen1 is offline Find More Posts by hyphen1
Last edited by hyphen1; Jun 19, 2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,178 Posts
The Anzac has been a "must build" for me for at least 50 years!!! Can you please get the plan scanned and either put it here or send to my email
edubarca1946@gmail.com?

Thanks and good luck
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:28 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,787 Posts
Good looking plane! I'll be following,and learning

Owl
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Hi Garry. I'm sure no-one would have taken offence if I had used the original name, but better to avoid the possibility, as Keil Kraft did all those years ago.

Hi Eduardo. Sorry, but I don't have scanning facilities for full size plans here in rural France. I got my plan from www.model-plans.co.uk, have a look at his list, his prices are very sensible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:08 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,178 Posts
Thanks, Sundancer
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:43 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
948 Posts
Build Log Keil Kraft Bantam

Has anyone noticed how similar the Bantam looks to Norman Rosenstock's "The Electron" which was published in the December 1950 edition of Flying Models?

The Electron was a larger model with a 60 inch wingspan. Powered by an Ohlsson 23 it weighed 5.5lbs. A reduced scale plan of it appears in the last few pages of "Model Flying - The First Fifty Years" compiled by Vic Smeed.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
You are dead right Monza, I have the Smeed book and just checked it. Apart from the tailplane shape (Bantam's has straight TE and a curved LE), they look very alike. Leads one to speculate whether Albert may have seen the earlier design and was influenced by it, whether consciously or unconsciously when drawing up the Bantam.

I say unconsciously as a similar thing happened to me years ago when I designed a 40 inch electric aerobatic model, starting with sketches on a blank sheet of paper. During building I gradually started to feel that I had seen it somewhere before, and when finished I suddenly realised that the finished model had a very close resemblance to the Keil Kraft "Stunt Queen" control-line model I had built in my youth.

On the other hand, I suppose if two designers set out to design a semi-scale shoulder wing model with rear cockpit, they might finish up with similar looking designs. However, given the similarity in such things as the wing-tip and fin shape between the Electron and Bantam, I would favour the view that the former did influence the latter in some way. Interesting.

Progress on cutting out all the bits was halted yesterday when the wind dropped and the last few hours before sunset provided idyllic flying conditions - carry on building or go out and fly?? No contest, so the new project lost out in favour of a happy couple of hours on the field with the Tomboy, Square Dancer, Moustique and Sopwith Triplane. Still, may have something to photograph later today or tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:30 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,556 Posts
I like it

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:38 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
Has anyone noticed how similar the Bantam looks to Norman Rosenstock's "The Electron" which was published in the December 1950 edition of Flying Models?

The Electron was a larger model with a 60 inch wingspan. Powered by an Ohlsson 23 it weighed 5.5lbs. A reduced scale plan of it appears in the last few pages of "Model Flying - The First Fifty Years" compiled by Vic Smeed.
Could you please get Vic Smeed's book scanned and post it here for us to enjoy?? Thank you
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
That's certainly different Sundancer. Enjoy the build, have fun, and look forward to seeing the completed model. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Subscribed!
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:28 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Very nice looking design. I'll enjoy following along with all of you on this build.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:09 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
948 Posts
Build Log Keil Kraft Bantam

Scanned picture of the Electron as requested.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:02 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,657 Posts
Getting started

Thanks Monza for the scan.

Contrary to my usual building sequence, which is to start with the flying surfaces, as almost all the tricky structural changes on this model are associated with getting the electric and radio gear into a fairly tight fuselage, I decided to start with this.

A couple of hours with carbon paper (can't get it anywhere now, but I have a stash!) sharp pencil and equally sharp scalpal soon produced a set of parts for the fuselage - who needs laser cutting!:

Next up was to assemble the crutch from 3/8" x 1/8" balsa. First deviation here, the original doesn't have cross pieces, just using the formers, but I decided that cross pieces, carefully set with a square, would make subsequent former fitting easier and stronger.

Now all the upper formers and rear and front spines have been positioned, in the photo they are just slotted in place, before gluing them I need to work out necessary holes and cut-outs for motor/ESC cables and control runs.

It is raining today (unusual for June here, but the garden was looking parched, so it isn't so bad), so the temptations of the flying field which have kept me away from building through three days of ideal flying conditions will not apply today, so hopefully more progress!
RCG Plus Member