HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 01:56 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
Discussion
Topgun Mirage 2000 edf questions..

Hi!
Since I did retire (permanent..no, no accident a knife was involved ) my MB339 from Fly-fly, I decided to get another 90mm edf.. and I found that the HobbyTopgun/Fly-Fly Mirage 2000 would fit perfectly.

I guess that IŽll have to do some modifications , so that it can accept the electric-retracts , also IŽve seen that people moves the servos more close to the ailerons.

IŽll use 6s together with a 80A Hobbywing ESC, and a HK fan/motor combo. 1650kV

Is there something else to think about before I start to build (well thatŽll be about next week or so).

I appreciate every little help that I can get =))

Regards
/Kenneth
Kenta78 is offline Find More Posts by Kenta78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:51 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,916 Posts
I would recommend this HK combo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14788
with an 85A Turnigy ESC having used it in 2 of my 90mm jets with good results.
Put a couple spars through the center section to join both wing halves together.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:59 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,785 Posts
Hi,

If you didnt buy it yet you could try the jepe version

http://jepe.org/shop/product_info.ph...dc15c20053e1a1

Here's a video of the jepe version:

Electric Jets Over Grenchen 2010 Mirage 2000 (9 min 9 sec)
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:25 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
@4stripes thatŽs exactly the HK setup I own , I had in mind to use it in my 339.. but IŽll change the esc to a 85 or even 100.. Who knows .. Thanks!

@like2fly, already ordered the Fly-fly variant.. but JePes are cheaper.. darn. :P

Seems like I have some work to do on the Fly-fly , always nice to compare the differences between the original and the modified versions. =)

Thanks both of you !
/
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:03 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,582 Posts
I've almost finished building mine and can offer a few tips.

1st one is to re-hinge the elevons, the included ones just use tape top and bottom but it was already peeling on mine when it arrived. I removed the tape and trued up the wing and elevons before gluing some 10mm balsa to them, sanded a bevel on the top and bottom of the elevon and used 4 nylon pinned hinges per side, now it's super strong and not going anywhere.

Also on mine the wing join needed a bit of work. Each wing panel wasn't quite true and this resulted in a nasty gap at either the trailing or leading edge depending on which one you held together. A bit of time with a sanding block to straighten everything out solved that.

I've seen vids of the wing failing in flight so I added a carbon tube just behind the servo cut outs. Mine is strictly hand/bungee launch and belly land so I didn't beef up the landing gear mounts.

The intake ducting (or lack thereof) is not really a problem but it bugged me a little. If you look at the JePe version you can see that he includes some balsa with the kit so that you can make your own ducting. I did something similar but using 6mm depron to smooth out the airflow. The inlets are way over 100% FSA and the inlet cone is a joke compared to the real thing. I sanded the cones off and added a boundary layer splitter plate to improve the looks (to me it's one of the things that makes a mirage a mirage), this also had the advantage of reducing the inlet area to something closer to 100%FSA. I will add some more scale looking inlet cones after the 1st flight.

The next thing is only really a problem if you plan to keep the wing removable. I drive a rather small car so needed to be able to break the plane down for transport so kept the wing removable. The rear mount is fine, the front had me worried, it was only small foam tongue and I had no doubt that it couldn't take all the flight loads without snapping. As a result I made mount similar to the rear one using some scrap 3mm ply I had laying around, now it wont come off during flight. Also I added some carbon rods to the foam tongue to stiffen it up. Of course if you plan to glue the wing on then you don't have to worry about it.

My wing didn't fit very well the fuse but I think that had more to do with all the mods I did, I discovered that the inlet walls I added were flexing the fuse floor a bit resulting in a poor fit. A few min with a hacksaw blade on the inlets and some time with the sandpaper on the wings and now it fits pretty well.

The last thing I did was move the servos closer to the trailing edge to try and reduce flutter, plus it shortens the pushrod linkage which are already a little on the flexible side. I'm using Hitec HS-81MG servos which are bigger than the cut out in the wings. I didn't feel comfortable with 9gr servos, even metal geared ones, plus I had the Hitecs laying around.

I can post some pics of the mods if it makes things a bit clearer.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but some of it you don't really have to do (inlet mods, wing hold down mods) but I think I'll end up with a nice flying plane in the end
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:13 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Cool sounds like there will be several mirages flying this summer
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:16 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
Thanks Frenche , I found out that JePe released "JePe leaks" wich will come in handy.
Not sure that IŽll do every mod, but only a few.
The wing will remain detachable, I must be able to store it in my quite small apartment

@Dark Angel, yea looks like it anyway, seems to be a quite popular EDF =)
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined Jul 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta78 View Post
Hi!
Since I did retire (permanent..no, no accident a knife was involved ) my MB339 from Fly-fly, I decided to get another 90mm edf.. and I found that the HobbyTopgun/Fly-Fly Mirage 2000 would fit perfectly.

I guess that IŽll have to do some modifications , so that it can accept the electric-retracts , also IŽve seen that people moves the servos more close to the ailerons.

IŽll use 6s together with a 80A Hobbywing ESC, and a HK fan/motor combo. 1650kV

Is there something else to think about before I start to build (well thatŽll be about next week or so).

I appreciate every little help that I can get =))

Regards
/Kenneth
I would like the L-39 from Hobby Topgun. Which is one of the best molding of the 90mm foamies EDF. I used stock fan (6 blades) and 1650kv motor, 6S 4400mAh Lipo, current draw less than 60A with almost 7 min flight time.

The new electric retract worked much better than the previous version. The last one sometime jim and not working. The new one seems resolved the problem and mine without any problem till now for +20 flight.

http://www.hobbywhere.com/index.php?...&product_id=58
Andyng is offline Find More Posts by Andyng
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:00 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I really need an electric retract system that is easy to fit on this plane...
preferably from Europe or Hobbykig.. don't want to break the ban though,,, will the changesun V2 retracts work.. and what struts can anybody suggest?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:08 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
mirage 2000

congrats, you made a great decision on buying this plane.

i started mine yesterday, here are a few pics.

mine came from EJF.COM, he is more expensive than any one else but if you have problems he will be there for you.

im flying mine on a 5 cell set up, its my second one, ( i retired the last one)

and flew way fast for me.

im including a pic of a mirage III OD paint scheme, im wanting to use it but not red, orange as at 64 i need to see the plane when it gets too far away from me.

i bought the http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/cart/ canopy and intake upgrade. really like them.

there are tons of info and building tips on this great jet, keep us posted and if we can help let us know.

tom

oh yea, im going to use the hobby-lobby.com afterburner lights, ive got it so may as well use it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jet_after...ueryId=1656565

struts and wheels are from http://ejf.com/

retract units are from http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG230

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378975

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879307

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...fly+mirage2000om
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Last edited by tomme21; Jul 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks for the input.. nice struts there.. but definetely not foing for the HH retracts. I prefer the changesun which have metal mount for the piano wire

What I have in mind is
700-68-1400 or 1600kv motor
CC ICE 120HV ESC
HET FAN 9305-700 (but I'm still considering)
2x 4s 45c nanotechs 4000mah
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
just finished with the wing and retracts. not scale, i know, but cool looking none the less.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
just made it to get the 700-68-1500kv Het motor and the HET9305 fan
want to run on 8S. I could have gone 9s or 10s but my budgets is low for a 120HV ESC atm so I'm staying with what I have.. an ICE100 Phoenix which is up to 8s only.
I just hope the amp draw stays behind the 100amp mark
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
sounds like a good set up Pav.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i wanted to go all out speed but i will wait untill i can buy a better speedy.
Btw parkrcmodels are selling the mirage factory glassed. Has anyone ever bought that?? How is the glassing??