SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by thunder1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:07 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I'm pretty much done with the painting. I probably add a little weathering after the maiden.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I had the maiden flight a couple weeks ago, and it didn't go so well. The model was stable in pitch, but kept wanting to roll to the right. I was fairly confident I could land it OK, in spite of the crosswind gusts. The model rolled to the right and pitched downward in a stall, and hit the right gear and wingtip. That spun the model to the right, and the left nacelle impacted the ground, smashing it. Then the model swung the other way, and ripped the right gear out of the mounts. I get a kick out of the bits flying off of it in slow-mo.

Not to worry, though. The damage has been repaired, and I'm getting ready to taxi test it tomorrow. I'll also have to check the lateral balance. I suppose with that much weight out on the wings, even a small difference counts. The nacelles started out weighing within 10 grams of each other. Now the left has gained about 50 grams in the repair. Since the model was rolling to the right, maybe that extra weight on the left wing will help out.

The videographer did a great job slowing the action down. Many thanks to you Dave!

Mark's EDF Ducted Fan ME262 Maiden (3 min 22 sec)
Old May 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Good flight man. It is my opinion the Me-262 is one of the hardest jets to fly.

It looks like you landed it way too hot for grass. That sucker was moving! Any idea why it was rolling?

I almost just bought one of these last month but went the the new fiberglass su-37. I'll probably regret it but later this year I will get this me-262. So I'll probably be bugging you with questions.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old May 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I think the rolling was a lateral balance issue, along with the control surface trim, coupled with a lot of PIO!

I don't think it will go any slower at landing, as it stalled at the end. I think the flaps will help the landing speed once the model is trimmed out.

I shortened the nose gear leg about 1/2" to drop the nose a bit.
Last edited by thunder1; May 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I had a few of the fellas around my dad's way help me with laterally balancing the Me-262. Even with the few ounces of repair to the left nacelle, the left wingtip ended up needing about 1/2oz of lead.

I just performed a CG check on the model, and with the new weight on the wingtip, the batteries needed to come forward about two centimeters. I made a couple of spacers out of white foam wrapped in masking tape, and glued them to the front of the fuselage former in the battery compartment. I'm planning to do one more lateral balance test before I fly.

She's all ready to go for another round of high speed taxi tests.

Here she is taxiing around my dads neighborhood.

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~markt/Me-262_Taxi.mp4
Old May 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Why was there a lateral balance issue? Are the wings or nacelles different weight?
Old May 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
The nacelles were within a few grams of each other, so I don't think it was them.

The main gear mounting locations are not an equal distance of the centerline of the wing. So I shifted the right gear inward about 1/4". If the entire structure is shifted 1/4" inside the wing, then that would explain being heavier on the right. The tricky part of this is that the wing seemed to balance fine along the center of the mold marks on the wing.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Wow thats interesting I thought these were top notch in quality.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I don't think the balance issue detracts a bit from it's quality. I should have laterally balanced it before the first flight, and paid the price with my crappy landing skills and a little help from a crosswind.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
I have never flown a rc plane, but looking at the video I got the impression that you were all set for a nice landing, but then a gust of wind and whatever was causing the imbalance tipped the plane sideways just at the worst possible time....

Well, good luck, it is really a good-looking project.
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old May 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Thanks. I need to perform some grass field taxi runs to see how everything holds together. The weather around my way has been terrible for flying lately.

Here are the Castle data logs side by side. Max amp draw was 96.9A for the left, and 98.1A for the right. The max RPMs only differ by a hundred or so.

I'm happy to see the ESC temps low. I sealed the outer 1/2 of each exhaust port with clear packing tape from both sides. I think the reduced size exhaust ports will still provide plenty of cooling air over the ESCs. I'm not going to be pushing the motors the next flight, so the ESCs shouldn't get too warm.
Last edited by thunder1; May 25, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
who carries these models?
Go4it is online now Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
830 Posts
hi Thunder,

Any additional flights since the maiden ????

I'm starting on mine very soon and plan to do flaps similarly to how you did them

I'm hoping for a positive experience reply from you

-DG
Dave Grife is online now Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
I would also like to know which Robart nose wheel and strut you used. Yours is one of the few I've seen with scale, read big! tires. I will also be using a lot of your build ideas. Two more Q's. Do you have stencils of your fuselage formers? You did a great job on those, a lot of work I'm sure. And do you recommend the removable engine pods after living with it? I was going to make mine permanent. Thanks
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:58 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Husafreak, I used a Williams Brothers wheel. I think it's a 3-3/4" smooth contour wheel.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html

Here are a pictures of the two rear formers. Since the fuselage is hollow, I used some thin cardboard, and cut it to fit the outside of the model where I wanted the former to be. Then I traced the resulting shape on another piece of thin carboard doubled over and used that to start with. It then required some trimming to fit the inside of the model. Once I was satisfied with the fit of the cardboard, I traced it onto lite ply and made the former. Time consuming, but worth the effort.

I think if the engine nacelle hadn't ripped off, the wing might have been damaged. So I'd recommend making them removable. The pin on the front upper lip of the nacelle helps keep it on under normal flight loads. Without it, the nacelle stresses due to the weight of the fan and motor.