HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,955 Posts
Discussion
SAPAC Gripen with HABU 32 80mm fan/motor

Just installed the HABU 32 80mm fan/motor in our Gripen. The stock setup was underpowered but this new fan makes it fly with authority. Not 1 to 1 thrust but plenty for scale flying. Guessing around 90mph speed in level flight. We have a thrust vectoring nozzle installed (SU34 Freewing type) which makes for some interesting maneuvers like flat spins! The outlet is a tad small for the 80mm fan but it seems to work fine. Balancing the 6S 5000mah pack requires the compartment opened up way back into the duct. An aluminum tray was added to hold the battery. You have to be creative to hold the battery from sliding forward. We used a stopper that velcro's in front of the battery. Flight times of 5 minutes are easy. The only mod planned next is to move the main landing gear closer to the CG to make take-off rotation easier. Now it seems to leap into the air and I want a more gentle rotation.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
136 Posts

very nice gripen.
could you post more details, photos about
1/ what retracts, struts you use?
2/ some photos of the retracts's location?
3/ current draws?
4/ photos of lipos in the chamber...

video would be nice

thanks
foamjet is offline Find More Posts by foamjet
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,955 Posts
Howdy Foamjet,
Here are some shots of the LG and TV. Don't have any battery shots as its buried deep in the rear of the cockpit. My father had the great idea of using thin walled tubing to open up the compartment aft. Just cut numerous holes until the opening fits. The aluminum tray was held in place with a block of light wood screwed with thin plastic wingbolts from the belly and countersunk wood screws from the tray side. The battery opening was kept tight around the battery to keep from moving upwards and the tray is bent up at the rear to keep the battery from sliding into the duct. The spring/air retracts were purchased from SAPAC and are well made. The 3mm wire may need upgrading to 4mm but it seems to work for now. The struts came with the Gripen kit.
Cheers
PS I should add that the HABU 32 80mm fan/motor were top quality and needed no balancing. Just assemble with locktite and run!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Jun 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
576 Posts
I received my Gripen kit a couple of weeks ago and I just ordered this fan for it. I am glad the hear that I am on the right track.
Ken
Ken Lilja is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
the specs of this 80mm fan looks very impressive
Delta-V 32 80mm EDF Performance
Installed Data*
Installed Static Thrust: 4.50 lbs
RPM: 38,500
Watts: 1,400
Current: 62A
* Data measured installed in Habu 32 DF using BL32 DF Brushless Motor, 2150Kv & 6S 5000mAh 30C Battery

Static Data*
Static Thrust: 5.40 lb on 6S (21.9V)
RPM: 39,640 on 6S (21.9V)
Watts: 1,160 on 6S (21.9V)
Current: 53A on 6S (21.9V)
*Data measured in lab conditions using bell mouth intake and tail pipe measuring 159mm in length with 72.0mm exit diameter

tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,955 Posts
Hi Ken,
You should plan on moving the main gear forward as well if you are using landing gear.
Moved the landing gear to about 1" behind the CG and takeoffs are now smooth and scale like. Better ground handling by far than stock position. Was able to just cut the plywood plates a new retract opening and shorten the legs about 3/4". The nose leg was replaced with a single wheel and it extends much better into the slipstream than the fat original two wheel setup.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
136 Posts

also if the the front landing gear is a little taller
than main gears, which creates a little high AOA,
that will help the jet taking off with shorter distance.
my two cents.
foamjet is offline Find More Posts by foamjet