HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
272 Posts
Alert
SBSS at Tomcat's 2011 Airshow

Here's what I've been able put together from discussions, suggestions for our participation this year.

Demonstrations....
1. Start out with winch launching of several planes, hopefully putting 6 up in the air (glass slippers, woodies, Bubble Dancer, AVA, Vista. I believe Bob Smith is helping setting up the winch. We should have a high start backup in our "back pocket".

2. Follow immediately with aero tow(s). Yes, we're working on having two tow planes. If Jerry Heimbeckerbelieves space is sufficient for a safe tow and landing, he'd like to fly his 1/2 scale KA-6. Jerry Heimbecker is organizing this part.

3. Simultaneous launching of multiple electric sailplanes to demonstrate limited altitude and limited motor run time (motor cuts out either at altitude or run time). Al Strahm and Don Cohn have been practicing and would like to make this demo.

4. DLG's... we'll be prepared to fly DLG's from the control line area both during our allotted time slot or any period you might want something up in the air on very short notice.

5. Jerry Heimbecker would like to demonstrate taking an inexperienced kid from the audience and having him/her fly with a buddy box

6. Announcer assistance... Kyle Hurlbut volunteered again this year to do the commenting on the sailplane demo.

7. Display area & simulator... We'd like to set up our simulator (12V battery powered) at the very end of the walk path, adjacent the open field for all to use and play with. We'd rather have the simulator set up outside the plane display area so the folks aren't walking around the planes.

8. FPG-9's, Foam Plate Gliders with the penny nose weights.. we have several hundred already made up to hand out to the kids. It's been my observation with the coin attached they don't seem to wind up in the trash and seem to go home with the kids.

May I get a count of volunteers
...to fly Saturday and/or Sunday?
...to display & chat Saturday and/or Sunday?

Comments?

Suggestions?

Noel
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:32 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Noel
I can help display and chat on Sunday. Let me know if you need anything.
Cliff
teddybear1 is offline Find More Posts by teddybear1
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:52 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
272 Posts
Thanks, Cliff. "Ken from Japan" also volunteered today. I also invited an experienced DLG pilot who expressed interest in participating.

Noel
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
528 Posts
I'm willing to help. I could man a booth and answer questions if it helps the club's presentation and promotion.

My only non-heli craft is a foamy e-glider. It might be useful for demos of the self-launching aspects of e-gliders. I have my own buddy box setup, but I'm far from an instructor skill level pilot.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:20 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
272 Posts
Come on guys, let's get some commitments for the Tomcat Airshow July 9th & 10th

We're on first thing in the morning and got an extended time for our demonstrations. Remember, all participants get a free lunch! In past shows we've had nice comments on all our flying.

GET THERE EARLY FOR BEST PARKING & SET UP?

Here are our events & participants I know of of so far...

1. Kyle Hurlbut will be doing the MC'ing (great job last year)

2. Winch launch of TD gliders (Bob Smith, Ken Izumi, Tim & Dave Candee, Mike Pavick, and who else? Ates Gurcan? Cliff Shekel? Tim Ellis? Marcin? Bruce & Aaron Lewis? Ron Sickler Bring any TD ships. Who can bring and/or help set up the winch? We'd like to get 6 to 10 TD planes up, then...

3. Aero Tow Jerry Heimbecker and ???. Then...

4. Electric limited time/altitude sailplanes Don Cohn, Al Strahm

5. DLG's Greg Norsworthy, maybe Mike Palrang, Noel E. DLG's can launch simultaneously behind the fence in the control line area.

6. Rubber powered wind ups hopefully Ates Gurcan. Ates

7. Static Display = bring your planes! Talk to the kids & adults. Challenge them on the simulator.
Pop-up tent = Jerry Heimbecker
Simulator = Noel E
FPG-9's to give away = Noel E
two PVC racks = Noel E
battery for simulator = (use a winch or retriever battery? Bob, Tim, Bruce?

8. Buddy box flying if we can launch? Jerry & Mike P? Mike Luvara would like for us to do this if at all possible. Jerry would like to pick a kid from the audience.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:19 PM
SOARMINDED
United States, OK, Mannford
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
Trainers & Buddy boxes

Actually we will have 2 kids flying scale planes ! Don Cohn will fly one and ? ( Me more then likely ) will fly second. And two kids flying on a buddy box trainers ! Need help here for these 2 ! One scalie will have smoke canisters will let the kid set off in flight
Jerry
GNX430 is offline Find More Posts by GNX430
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:09 PM
Saratoga, CA
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
I'm in for Saturday. I need to leave by 3 sharp but will be there before 8:30. I will bring a winch, retriever my Supra, lots o water, hat and a chair.
-tim
Tim.Ellis is offline Find More Posts by Tim.Ellis
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:59 AM
Competition & Safety Mgr. SBSS
Gilroy, CA
Joined Apr 2003
164 Posts
I will be there both days, but must leave after our SBSS flights. I will bring a backup winch/retriever and will try and arrive by 8:15. Tim, 8:15 if you can. Will be flying my orange Scott Meader Eagle. This model was first built around 1994 and this is my second Eagle. The first one I flew more than 1000 flights over about 13 years and during 6 years at the Tomcats show. This will be "Oranges" second appearance at the Tomcats. This year it will be sporting a GPS for altitude and ground speed reporting to the transmitter. It would be great to be able to communicate with Kyle with altitude/speed reporting.
wizzzer is offline Find More Posts by wizzzer
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:44 PM
SOARMINDED
United States, OK, Mannford
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
Walkie Talkies

On Bob's Note does anyone have 2 sets or one set of walkie talkies we can use this weekend. I think the winch users need a spotter for the scale guys coming in to land. And the scale guys need one to. Not only to talk to the winch spotter, BUT both spotters to kyle ! That way the crowd KNOWS what is going on and what style and kind of plane is flying and landing. Also just got email from Scott. He will be our tow pilot this weekend. He is driving up Fri nite and staying with me the weekend so he will not be late Sat morning! WOW this guy is driving all the way from Canyon Country on the OTHER side of the Grapevine. FOR US ! And this SHOW ! I told him what this show means to not only the club but to Me personally ! he said YES without a blink of an EYE or where it was ! Please make him feel as welcome as you can ! He goes by ( marnochs ) here on RC groups. Here is a pic of his tow plane.
GNX430 is offline Find More Posts by GNX430
Last edited by GNX430; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:39 PM
Saratoga, CA
Joined Feb 2009
235 Posts
I have two two meter 5W hand held CB radios. I am pretty sure we can "legally" use them under my ham license. I will check into it. I've never heard of the FCC actually fining but I know they can. In any case, I'll get them charged and throw them in as well. I'd be happy to leave them with someone as I cannot make Sunday. The other thought is a cell phone but that would easily only allow two people to talk.
-tim
Tim.Ellis is offline Find More Posts by Tim.Ellis
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:18 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
272 Posts
Why doesn't the club get a set of those "Family Radios" to use for occasions like this? I don't believe they're very expensive, especially compared to the the value of the planes being shown.

By the way, I have a HAM label also, KF6PUO, and will bring out my handheld with a rubber ducky. The "Family Radio" should be better.

Noel
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:07 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNX430 View Post
...does anyone have 2 sets or one set of walkie talkies we can use this weekend...
I have a pair of FRS radios I will bring on Saturday.

Don
Don Cohn is offline Find More Posts by Don Cohn
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:00 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
272 Posts
Thanks, Don.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Jul 2010
73 Posts
I will be there Sunday for sure. However, not for sure about Saturday.
I will bring my pikeperfect and supra and piper XL and chair.

Thanks,

Ken from Japan
Ken from Japan is offline Find More Posts by Ken from Japan
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
528 Posts
I spoke with Mike Pavick. At this point, I plan to attend the event on Sunday.

I had planned on going both days. However, over the holiday weekend my neighbor decided to rent a car (they don't own a car or normally drive), and rammed my parked motorcycle within minutes of renting from Hertz.

To compound the problem they decided to flee the scene, rather than leave a note or knock on my door. I was home at the time. Now it's a hit and run case.

The angle of impact made it clear what happened. However, they lied to the police, at first. They've since confessed. Dealing with this mess has become very time consuming. I've spent 2 1/2 days with police and insurance companies. My insurance company wants to total the bike, which is silly. All of the running gear is fine, they don't want to replace damaged body panels. Hertz insurance dept is almost impossible to contact.

Update: After many calls I finally reached someone at Hertz and received a claim number. They don't expect an adjuster to be available to look at my bike for several days. My insurance adjuster was here within hours.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Last edited by LizardMan; Jul 07, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Update