HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
Josh Fisk
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
Question
Torque Roll solutions

im looking to start a scratch pusher prop jet and im trying to figure out a way to reduce the torque roll on a single prop thrust vectoring? my thoughts put use a gear between the prop and motor but i would have to have a larger mount on the elevator causing tail heavy? anyway i would like to hear any other solution to torque roll besides two counter rotating props( trying to stick with one motor) or would thrust vectoring itself reduce the torque roll?
runester351 is offline Find More Posts by runester351
Last edited by runester351; Jun 18, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Smaller diameter prop, build in a little right thrust.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:36 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,092 Posts
if you build her with a low wing to weight ratio "floater" just back off the throttle on launch.

I have a few 20" pushers, swinging a 7x5 @2200+ kv they all have termendous torque roll.
But built light, i can under hand these things at a tad above half stick and they just go out and up.
Now when i punch them, boy oh boy, blistering left hand torgue roll. At first it was a struggle hitting top speeds with that amount of torque roll.
So I use a mix channel "throttle-Aileron" on a switch i can turn on and off.

Another route would be to use a gyro on the aileron if a mix isnt possable on your tx.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:06 AM
dzejdzej
Czech Republic, Pardubice
Joined Oct 2008
51 Posts
Propeller diameter / Wingspan ratio

Hello,

The rule is to keep the propeller diameter up to 33% of the wingspan. For more info go to www.parkjets.com , the getting started section.

JJ
jirkajiranek is offline Find More Posts by jirkajiranek
Old Jul 05, 2011, 12:52 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
You can also add about a 1/4 oz of lead to the right wingtip. I've tammed many a wild beast this way.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
With my Draken I had some luck mixing in throttle -> aileron. It definitely worked but I just didn't spend enough time getting it perfect.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:35 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
I'll second the suggestion to use a Gyro. I've been happy with the performance on my F/A-22. I can go from near-stall and punch it to WOT with almost no torque roll.
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:37 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
With my Draken I had some luck mixing in throttle -> aileron. It definitely worked but I just didn't spend enough time getting it perfect.
Yup the mix route does take time to dial in, but then when the lipo drops voltage and you torgue roll decreases the aileron movement stays the same. So you have to be carefull. That why i throw mine to a switch.

Gyros are 100% the way to go.IMHO + You also get a bonus, flying in the wind is a breeze.
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jul 07, 2011, 11:48 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,118 Posts
Build your jet big and it becomes a non issue. I have two larger pusher jets ~36" WS, 51" L with 1410kv motors, on 4s Lipos & 8X6e APC props. 3/4 throttle and they fly straight away from the toss with no funny business. Blue skies!

RIck
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery