SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:25 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,439 Posts
Looks really nice...where do you go for your hobby needs? I am not far from Baltimore, but there is really nothing around here in the way of good hobby shopes. There is one down by Dulles airport, but they stopped carrying kits a couple years ago (still good for getting glue and what-not, but a long drive for me now).
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,451 Posts
Things like glues and other small items usually are shipped "Parts Express" by Tower Hobbies, so you can buy lots of small items and the cost to ship is $4.99 and that is cheaper than two gallons of gas if you have to drive a long way.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:30 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Looks really nice...where do you go for your hobby needs? I am not far from Baltimore, but there is really nothing around here in the way of good hobby shopes. There is one down by Dulles airport, but they stopped carrying kits a couple years ago (still good for getting glue and what-not, but a long drive for me now).
thanks aaron;I was using hobby town usa in glenburnie but there is a real extensive shop in crofton md, a 20 min ride one way for me but he has every thing trains,cars,airplanes,boats,jets,helicopters,and all kinds of supplies for all of that stuff htpp://www.gpahobbies.com. there is another hobbie store in laurel in the old shopping center I can't remember the name it's been years since I've been there, this is mutch closer than dulles I wiuld thing but you should just google hobbie shops in md. and see what thay have.I'm surprisedyou don't use hobbie works on rockville pike.the one in laurel is hobbie works also.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Last edited by splinterz25; Jul 11, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Things like glues and other small items usually are shipped "Parts Express" by Tower Hobbies, so you can buy lots of small items and the cost to ship is $4.99 and that is cheaper than two gallons of gas if you have to drive a long way.
thanks for the info kmot I didn't know about parts express and I'm a club member going to check into that; I have to order $150 to get free shiping but don't allways need that mutch stuff.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:39 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
well today I removed the ply beem at the landing gear door location and put in 3/16"x 3/16" stringer w/ a 1/16' gap between them so thay can be cut out after thay are skined; I also added some more stringers so my 1/16" sheeting will curve smoothly when I skin them. I also changed the way the elv. will move it will have duel servos one on each side but I still am working on that part, here is some pics. so you can see what I'm doing now.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
873 Posts
wow nice wood work there! what a beuty!!!! subscribed!
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
got some more skins on the boom today; I'm taking it nice and easy trying not to use very mutch filler, so far so good had one rinkel but worked it out! check the pics.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:33 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
well finished skinning the first boom check the pics.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
well started to skin the second boom and work on servo hatches these are pics of progress so far.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
873 Posts
nice work! wish you lived near me so i could hire your skills!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:26 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
nice work! wish you lived near me so i could hire your skills!
acky; what project are you building that you need help with?

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
some times things don't always work the way you want; when I was skinning the last part of the second boom this piece has a compound bend and can be tricky the first edge is not straight so you have to match it then glue it in; to release the stress I made a cut in the center at a former about half way through then wet w/ alcohol and bend, you have to sand away balsa in a V shape so when it is in place the edges will line up w/ no buckle. all of this worked but the aft end did not cover all the way so instead of starting all over I just added a small piece, when doing this glue in a larger piece first then cut it down and sand smooth. check out pics to help understand
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
acky; what project are you building that you need help with?

Bruce
my first go at a scratch built.... well it was already built (BT spitfire 63") but i need to re build the wing as the balsa skin was suspect and i want to add separate servos for elevators and flaps
ive worked with wood (carpentry etc) for years as my main job but thats no where near the level of detail needed with little bits of balsa
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Screw wood... fill the bits with foam. Loving your build Bruce but I kinda am getting the foam fever. Sooooo much easier to work with and lighter the larger you build.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman