SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2011, 10:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,311 Posts
Looks solids as a tank!

The fully hidden, internal servos and linkages will be awesome when it is all built.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:45 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
yea it is very strong kmot but I did that on purpose; the plans that I'm using aren't designed for engines that I plan to install, I've had to add stringers and increase thickness on some others but I think I'm still ok on weight about 6-7 lbs so far. about keeping every thing internal I'm having trouble with the rudders because the boom is so thin at the aft end there isn't enough room to make an internal mechanism swing left and right; so I think I'll have the push rod come out the bottom inside just before the rudders and connect to allthread w/ a swivel connector. but I haven't done this yet I may sleep on it that is usually when I come up my ideas.I thought I could use a bell crank, but there's not enough space; the other way was to put a horn at 3 degrees then hook it to the push rod. I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS! been playing with this all day and not getting very far.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 07, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,168 Posts
dadgumit, that woodwork is too purdy to cover!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Jul 08, 2011, 12:45 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
alright well I slept on it and I came up with a new idea it's hard to explain but I took photos as I devloped the mechanism, it seems to work but it's not installed yet. it is a piece of nylon w/ a 3/6" brass tube in the hole and a screw that threds into a T nut and a push rod w/ a Z bend to connect to the nylon mechanisam and back to the servo. look at the pics. to understand better.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:38 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,669 Posts
Genius!!
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jul 08, 2011, 08:29 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
I don't know about that; but thanks it's not instaled yet! we will see in a day or two.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 07:21 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,669 Posts
My only suggestion is to make sure you have a very high torque servo for that job. You have next to no leverage for that throw and I would hate to see you have a servo burn out and then crash from a stuck rudder.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:58 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
yea I know that I should get as mutch torque as possable but I have to ues micro servos because space. I had some HITEC hs-82 mg on hand and thay have47.22 oz at 6.0v who makes the strongest micro hs and ht? but belive it or not it takes less to move the rudder than the elv. I realy won't know until I get it set up all the way; that is what I'm in the middle of now there is alot to do I have to compleat several major things befor I hook It up and I don't want to screw it up!
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:27 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,311 Posts
Yeah, pretty darn clever!

Savox micro is 64 oz-in.

http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SH0256.../savsh0256.htm
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
dymond rc also makes some good ones..

rc-dymond.com

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:38 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
ok didn't get to mutch done today wasn't in the mood but there is always tomarrow skinned the elv. and stab. check the pics.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
well been playing around with the stab. and elv. most of the day and it works but I'm not very happy with the strength of my command of the elv. so I like how my rudder works I'm going to try a similar setup with the elevator if I can. also I found HITEC HS 225-MG micro w/ 67oz. torque w/ 6v. for $25 but the ones I have seem to work just fine for now. the other thing I have been thinking about is how to pich the engines; so I found a link by nick ziroli and he sets up his p-38 with the right engine 3 degrees and left at 0 degrees, this surprises me I thought thay would pitch opposite of each other. he said that he tryed that but the plane still turned left. any thoughts on this subject? some days you learn more than you accomplish!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
do a search for a guy that goes by twinbirdflyer here on rcgroups. When it comes to thrust offset on twin engined rc aircraft I would talk to him..he flies a lot of twins..my understanding is that if you are using counter rotating props/engines you want want down and left 2 degrees on left engine, and down and right 2 degrees on right engine..if he's still pulling left at 9 and 3 degrees offset on right engine..something else is causing it to turn..either his engines are both spinning the same way..or something isn't quite square..

Troy
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
troy do you know who nick ziroli is? I think he knows his twin engines! google his name and you will see what I'm talking about.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:36 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,260 Posts
well I was able to skin one fin and rudder,have to make a trip to the hobby shop for some more glue my local shop closed for good; now I have to make a mutch longer trip for small things cost more for gas than parts some times!