HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:00 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
479 Posts
Discussion
32" EPP Flat/Profile 3D Foamy

Here's my impressions of my new 32" EPP Yak from WM Parkflyers. Comments welcome.

My Background:
Coming from electric helicopters, my first two 3D flat/profile foamies were 38" then 48" Depron from DW Foamies. Those planes fly very nicely, but I wanted something smaller for more confined spaces like a large back yard or small ball field.

Impressions:
The build was very easy and straightforward. I love the fact that EPP can use Welder's glue (Depron can not). I think the flexibility of the EPP would not do well on larger sizes like my 48" and maybe even my 38", but this 32" wingspan is great. The weight (8.5 oz with 460 mAH 3S) is light enough as not to cause the airframe to flex too much during flight. And generally 3D type flying is usually slow. I used Krylon Fusion spray paint with no problems.

One surprise is this 32" Yak does not have any more trouble when the wind picks up than my 38" does (even though the 38 weighs twice as much). I expected it would really get tossed around, but not so. Using the "blue wonder" motor and 8x4E prop, it has plenty of power to fly straight up or against a good wind. Hovers nicely, although I'm not very good. And not too much prop torque wanting to rotate the plane. Hand launches easily, flies right out of my hand. Since no wheels, I try to land in tall grass.

All in all, my first EPP plane is a success, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a fun 3D foamy, for outdoor areas of limited size.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
479 Posts
BTW, you don't have to fly 3D to enjoy a foamy like this. You can dial down the control throws (dual rates, etc), and fly this thing like a normal sport plane all day long. Makes it an easy beginner plane because it flies so slowly when you want it to. For you newbies, the reason it flies slow is the very light weight relative to wing area. I'm not associated with the maker, just a happy flyer wanting to share.

Also, I can't claim the paint scheme is original. I copied it from a picture in a forum awhile back. Hope it wasn't copyrighted.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
Take a look at Techone. They have a good selection of foamys in the 30in wingspan sizes that fly superbly,look good,and are inexpensive to buy.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:03 AM
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
37 Posts
Thanks for the review! That looks like a kit version of Leadfeathers Yak55 from the scratch-building forum... I am tempted to build one for my first scratch-build, glad to hear it can handle some wind!
benz11 is offline Find More Posts by benz11
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:11 PM
United States, NC, Holly Springs
Joined May 2013
177 Posts
Benz11 you wont regret doing so. Its my favorite plane currently building a second one
Atrocityx is online now Find More Posts by Atrocityx