HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
Yo Mamas toy boy
UK
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Discussion
Are there any physical signs when a brushless motor packs up?

I suspect my motor has given up as the ESC has smoked.
Long story, but ive had the motor off and there doesnt appear to be anything wrong with it
CaptainCarling is offline Find More Posts by CaptainCarling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Depending on the heli, the ESC is often the weakest link. Many helis, especially with belt or shaft driven tails, come with an ESC that can't handle the load. It's pretty common to use a separate BEC for the tail and gyro, to reduce the load on the ESC.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
Not really. Sometimes the coils will be blackened, but usually no way to tell.

Best to rewind or replace.
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:32 AM
Yo Mamas toy boy
UK
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
Thanks guys
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:14 AM
Joined Jun 2008
472 Posts
The usual reason for the esc to smoke, is a broken coil due to heat, this transfers the load to the remaining coils. Higher current, means higher temperature and most esc are quite sensitive things... In a normal outrunner, wired in star or delta all the trailing wires of the motor are common. The quick way to check if your coils are sound is to continuity check between all the connecting leads of your motor. No continuity...bad motor...

Greg
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:48 AM
Yo Mamas toy boy
UK
Joined Dec 2008
140 Posts
There seems to be continuity, but there is a small amount of play in the bearings (pinion end)
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
Beware of screeching!

I've not had any ESC's fail yet, touch wood, but I've had a motor fail. First of all, it started to run quite noisily, and it turned out that the bearings were spinning in their housings. When I took off the motor can, I could see that the play that had developed had been enough to cause the magnets to rub on the stator, and there was quite a bit of magnet dust in the can. I got a bit more life out of the motor by using threadlock to fix the outer races in the housings, but I could also see that the motor shaft was also worn down a bit where it had been spinning in the front bearing. I bodged that with more threadlock.

After a few more flights, the motor failed - the shaft broke off at the front bearing, causing me to do my first and only auto to date with my 450.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c