HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
31 Posts
Discussion
Extreme Long Range Ground Stations

We fly over 130Miles Horizontally and over 20Miles Vertically and wandered if anyone has done any work using multiple ground stations over the internet.
For distances like these.

<Attached KMZ File>

Our goal is non-stop edge of space Video of the final flight of the space shuttle program. If you haven't heard about our other edge of space work or flights you can see them in this video.

StratoShuttle/STS-135 (1 min 50 sec)

If you live in FLA you should join us on launch day! We are looking for FPV pilots in the Tampa area to aerial video our launch and one for landing site coverage.

This is going to rock and bring good press to the FPV sport and community. And yes, we ARE working with the 45th Space Wing of the US Air Force and the FAA for our launch. It's our third timed to shuttle flights.
questforstars is offline Find More Posts by questforstars
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
David1
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,478 Posts
Paparazzi guys have done that a long time ago...still can...The system is client server. There's a server that the groundstation connects to and reads the messages off. Puts messages on...autopilot in the air does the same. I have a cool video from 2007 of a demo where a plane in France and Germany are flown from the Netherlands. So 3 ground stations, Internet between them. Easy to do if your architecture is client server from the start.
More probably found here: http://hackaday.com/2007/12/27/24c3-build-your-own-uav/
and here: http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Media

-BMW
bmw330i is offline Find More Posts by bmw330i
Last edited by bmw330i; Jun 17, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: edited for clarity.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
31 Posts
Awesome--we are currently Ardupilot 2.2 based. However... :-)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:51 AM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Did you asked the ArduPilot guys if they have anything in the Queue?
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:53 AM
arizona
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
So let me see if I am understanding this ?

You want multiple telemetry stations or points on the ground so as your payload passes the closest one that is the one that is communicating with the payload/AutoPilot.

Now are you looking for command and control which means Duplex communications from multiple points or just receivers to Re-broadcast your video stream and tracking data from ?

Either way your sort of looking at a geographically dispersed Diversity system :-)

I would not use multiple GCS I would use one GCS at your base station connected via Inet to say 3 or 4 separate Tx/Rx earth stations.

The data would be Received and transmitted from the closest earth station. I suppose if you wanted to get really advanced you could use some sort of RSSI to calculate signal strength and decide on which earth station was in the best position and at what point to do the hand off. Maybe switching frequencies as the payload comes to the strongest signal.

I personally don't see much need for duplex until the last few Kilometers if that even. The the Ardu-Pilot should get you within RC control range with out any need to talk to the plane at all.

As far as tracking. The APRS stuff (Contingent on digipeaters along your flight path) should allow you non stop tracking with an existing mechanism currently in place to add that to your web site.

Its to bad this is the last shuttle you can track & film. This is a great idea !

If you ever get out here to the desert let me know as this is something I could easily find my way to volunteering time and resources for.

Bill
billh117 is offline Find More Posts by billh117
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
31 Posts
For now (and if we can find some volunteers) we'll have to chase it and pull over before launch to setup for streaming. Think an Antenna rotator would work on a car going 70?

Let's hope we find some FLA volunteers--our goal is nonstop video from liftoff to touchdown. We want to be able to P/T to keep the shuttle liftoff in frame. Then we'll pan and tilt through nearspace before looking up to see the balloon exceed it's low pressure rating and explodes...then the skydiving from the edge begins...yeehaw!