HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG LACY View Post
After thinking more about the mount on my Waco, and the points mentioned by both of you, I tore it out and did it over today my 7/8 "standoffs are 2&3/4" long now and very solid, I used the ply mounts for the gas version laminated together for the base and drilled for my x mount. BTW the original mount seemed fine at full power ground check,but, what Straggerflyer said about nose overs did it for me,I needed the weight anyway. Thanks again fellows,here's a few pics of new mount.BL
Not that I am an engineer or anything, but that looks STRONG to me! I like it. I think the main thing that contributed to my initial impression was the perspective effect of the relatively wide angle lens making the rods look longer than they actually are. Looking at the new photos, if you hadn't already said they are 2.75 inch long, I would have guessed at nearer four inches. I never expected you to re-do it when I mentioned it, but I'm glad you did. I am following the Multiplex FunCub thread ('cause I have one) and they have had a lot of trouble with vibration and bent and broken motor shafts due to putting much stronger motors on them than the plane was designed for. Loose motor mount screws and the flexibility of the foam itself seems to allow vibrations to build up until things break. I certainly don't think yours will do that now. Good luck!

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Oct 2006
278 Posts
Hey Gord!!

Thanks again for the inspiration, will post more pics tomorrow, the other mods I have going on. By the way if I can find the pics of my Fun Cub, I fixed all the problems you are having by cutting off the nose, glue in a liteply firewall mounted my E-flite 10 and then glueing the nose back on with a couple drops of Ca. It was one of the first sold here in the states and I always warm up with it first,can't tell u how many times we had to get that Cub out of a Fla. pine tree, easiest plane I've ever had to fix quick.. Sorry,off subject. BL,,, BTW I flew Ringmasters in the 50s we must be close in age.
BIG LACY is offline Find More Posts by BIG LACY
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:58 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG LACY View Post
BTW I flew Ringmasters in the 50s we must be close in age.
I flew Ringmasters too, in the early '60s. I'm 62.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerflyer View Post
I flew Ringmasters too, in the early '60s. I'm 62.
Wish I could say that! I hit 68 on the 27th. But the good side of that is that I can still get out back and cut down trees, shovel dirt and the like. The alternative to getting older does not allow a guy to do much flying. Or anything else!
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Oct 2006
278 Posts
Keeping busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Wish I could say that! I hit 68 on the 27th. But the good side of that is that I can still get out back and cut down trees, shovel dirt and the like. The alternative to getting older does not allow a guy to do much flying. Or anything else!
I was 67 on May 5th, I too find that working around the house keeps me feeling a lot younger, if I get something done in the yard say 3 or 4 hrs then I can work on my airplanes the rest of the day. BL
BIG LACY is offline Find More Posts by BIG LACY
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Weight

Hello, I have a 72" Pica Waco completed but never flown that I'll probably do EP some day if I ever stop changing priorities from buying more projects & am curious what yours might weigh w/o lipos. Also, can you pls tell me the ID of your cowl ?
BTW, lots of Ringmaster time also on this 72 yr old airframe. You can see a few of my bipes in my blog including my two ultralights.

Rgds
Bob
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:15 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Bob, haven't gotten to the weighing part, yet, but will soon. Will try to get you a measurement on the cowl soon, also.

Did some more work on the battery mounting compartment this weekend. It's not pretty, I'm not an engineer/designer. I can copy someone elses work pretty good, but coming up with my own, not so good. Sure could have used some pics of the inside of that compartment, BL. Anyway, here's mine. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a cleaner job on theirs, but if this helps at all, then I'm happy. Some pics...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
451 Posts
Staggerflyer,

Thanks for posting this build thread. The WACO is on my short list to aquire as a future build. Looking at your battery hatch it looks like you may be using PowerPole (Anderson) connectors as an arming plug. If so are you using the 75amp version?
I'm looking forward to the next installment.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:25 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaer View Post
Staggerflyer,

Thanks for posting this build thread. The WACO is on my short list to aquire as a future build. Looking at your battery hatch it looks like you may be using PowerPole (Anderson) connectors as an arming plug. If so are you using the 75amp version?
I'm looking forward to the next installment.

al
Al, the arming plugs I am using on all my planes now are made by MPI/MAXX, and are the 12gauge wired ones. They also make them with 14gauge wire, but don't list in their descriptions anywhere what size Power Poles they are using. It seems they are the same for both sizes, with just the noticeable different wire gauges being the difference. They are available in both gauges with Deans Ultra or the same size Power Poles for the battery/ESC connections. I believe I read that the Deans Ultras are rated at 75AMPs, somewhere. I hope these ratings are for continuous ratings, because while all my setups run at 40-50 amps average, there are bursts in the 85-95 amp range, but these never last a full second according to my loggers, which are also on all my planes. I always check my systems for temps immediately on landing, and the wires/connections are never warm.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2008
451 Posts
Staggerfly,

I've used the same MPI/MAXX arming plugs on a 60 sized FW-190. They seem to work fine. I did panic one day when I saw that the connector size was rated at 45amps, but I have never had a problem even though the motor pulls 55 amps at full throttle. I was just curious if you were using the 75 amp rated connectors.
Ok carry on with the build, I've got my snacks and drinks at the ready waitng for the next installment.

al
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Is that what they are rated at?? 45amps? I have one on that Staggerwing in my avatar, Power 160 on 10 cells, pulls 78 amps and 2750 watts, and it never gets warm.

Hope to get back to work on it and fly it this 4th of July weekend, if the weather and my job allows time to finish it.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,074 Posts
Nice conversion. It's a bit late to suggest now, but I am considering building a slide-out motor/battery module when I convert my 1/6 scale Sterling Stearman. I think this method would work great for most any electric conversion where you don't want to cut a battery hatch.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:09 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Hello, I have a 72" Pica Waco completed but never flown that I'll probably do EP some day if I ever stop changing priorities from buying more projects & am curious what yours might weigh w/o lipos. Also, can you pls tell me the ID of your cowl ?
BTW, lots of Ringmaster time also on this 72 yr old airframe. You can see a few of my bipes in my blog including my two ultralights.

Rgds
Bob
Bob, haven't quite gotten to where I can give you a weight, yet, but I just got the cowl off, and it is 8.25" inside diameter. Will let you know the weight when I can get it, hopefully soon.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:13 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Nice conversion. It's a bit late to suggest now, but I am considering building a slide-out motor/battery module when I convert my 1/6 scale Sterling Stearman. I think this method would work great for most any electric conversion where you don't want to cut a battery hatch.
That's an interesting setup. I would think it would be kind of big and bulky for a big one, like all of mine are. And the mounting/securing points better be strong!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
451 Posts
Hi Staggerflyer,

Here is a link to the Power Werks page for the PP connectors http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...owerpole-sets/ the ones I have from MPI measure in the 45 amp size but like you I have never had a problem. So using your expirence and mine I feel pretty comfortable using them in the WACO as you have. It is such a nice safety feature to be able to use while putting in batteries and moving the plane about.
More building and pictures please I'm starting to go into withdrawl!

al