HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
Discussion
Trex 450 MD500 Crash....Why?

I have a Trex 450 V2 setup in a heliartist MD500 fuse. It has Align xl motor, 35 speed controller, Gy401 and Hs65's.

I am running a thunder power 2200 20c 3c lipo. I have flown the heli several times with no incidients at all.

Yesteray I was flying it for the first time in about 6 months. I may have flown a bit over the time limit on the battery and I had delayed reactions on cyclics . It would respond but after a second delay or so. I managed to put her down and had some damage (feather shaft, main shaft, blades, main gear and belt).

I am using a WK2801 original version that I have never had any issues on.

Could the delay be a power loss of the battery? Any Ideas?
gmbnj is offline Find More Posts by gmbnj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
anyone?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
142 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. It does sound like a power loss issue. Do a bench test with a fully charged battery and see if the servos move like their supposed to. Hope this helps.
Rick F. is offline Find More Posts by Rick F.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
142 Posts
I would run a seperate bec in a fuse if I were you.It'll take some load off of the stock esc.
Rick F. is offline Find More Posts by Rick F.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Me thinks it is a power to weight issue. I have basically the same power equipment but flying lighter weight fuselages. I do not use a separate BEC in none of my bodies. Ive never suffered a ESC thermal shutdown that I can really remember. I have experienced radio glitching
You could be experiencing thermal shut down of the esc, could be a battery going bad or receiver brownout.
On my helis flying 2.4 ghz I have had what seemed like brownouts where the heli would momentarily stop responding and then all of a sudden start responding again. But really consider all the weight you are hauling seems like this may be just a little to much for what electronics you using. You may say well it flew fine the last few times, but consider, that excessive heat will eventually degrade the ESC battery and motor.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
Guys, thanks for the advice ......

I thought about overheating the ESC but wouldnt that casue a loss in rotor power?

I never had any decerease in headspead, just delayed cyclics. I did a bench test last night and it appeared to be okay.

I am going to put it back to pod and boom and do several test flights before putting the fuse back on.

The lipo is around 2 years old but with only about 3 dozens charges on it.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
gmbnj -
I'm also using the 2801, and only had it a short time.

I don't see any reason to suspect it as the problem, but if it does turn out to be involved please let us know.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:49 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,052 Posts
I had something like that happen to me trex450 same motor esc servo,s in a AS-350 three bladed head with weighted blade,s the motor and esc was getting pretty hot so i got one of these motors http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dym-0011.html and a 40amp esc from same place and it fix my problem oh the motor is a 2750kv you will need a 13tooth gear.Hope this help,s
Bad Creation is online now Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:08 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Assuming that the 35 ESC you have is made by Align, then a 3 cell lipo limitís the number of servos you can safely power to 3. Donít tempt fate! On a pod & boom you may get away with it. But in a fuselage itís best not to rely on any ESC to do double duty!
Use a separate BEC (battery regulator) to power your receiver & servos and you will never have another incident where they shut down from an ESC overload.

Ron
11reb53 is offline Find More Posts by 11reb53
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
Put it back in pod and boom and went to test fly yesterday.

SAME results. Right after liftoff, the cyclics did not respond for a moment so I hit throttle hold and down she went...again.

I now think it must be a bad rx or tx. It is the original WK2801. I have a 2801 pro so I may order a pro rx and try that.

Any other ideas?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Sounds like a controler problem to me. Power to the moter but not to the controls. Or visa versa!. I had the same problem so I insalled a sepperate bec, a six volt one will work. Or go to a higher amp controller of your choice, but the one Bad Creation linked works very well. If your going to fly with a fuselage its best to use a sepperate bec though. At least thats my experance.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
I am about to rebuild again...

I just don't know where to start? Should i try a new ESC or rx?
I was going to buy a new rx(2801 pro) and just scrap my old 2801 but after reading some advice on here...could it be a ESC?

I didn't think so since in pod and boom, in 10 seconds I lost control so ESC was not hot at all.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
If you are loosing only cyclic controls it sounds like more a receiver issue. This is a tough one because it also could be an ESC issue also. Check the speed controller wires to make sure you have good solder connections. Check to see if some of the wires are frayed at the solder joints. It probably could not hurt to resolder the wire leads on the ESC. I trying to think of something you can do before dropping cash to replace something.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
Just replaced the ESC with a spare and I'm going to keep it light on skids for a few minutes to see what happens.

Let you know....
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2007
153 Posts
Looks to be a bad rx. After 2 unsuccessful attempts to bind to the tx....I grabbed another heli(scale ec-135) and bound it 3 times in a row and hovered a few minutes on same tx with no issue.

I guess I'll buy a new 2801 rx and try again. Does anyone know if the pro rx binds to the old 2801 or should I just bind it on the pro?