SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:25 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Discussion
FPV Stryker Build Log - LOST & FOUND!!!

Here are the beginnings of my fpv stryker. I just bought the stryker wing at the LHS for $20 and cut the the fins and elevons out of balsa on my Phatprinter (www.phlatboyz.com or www.phlatforum.com) Fins are 1/8" balsa and elevons are 3/16", both covered with neon pink monokote. The plan is:

Henge 12 g metal geared servos from HK
Turnigy Plush 40 amp ESC
Corona rp8d1 rx on 72 mhz
Sony 540 OSD cam (though I might switch as I've found it's a bit noisy!)
Foxtech 5.8 200 mw vtx/vrx
haven't found a motor yet.

Once I get to installing the fpv gear I might need a little help from you guys. I'll be using a CL on the plane and a SPW on rx. I hear the 5.8 CLs in particular need to be mounted in such a way that the other electronics don't block it's signal. I could cut a hole in the bottom of the wing to lay the CL in, but still it could be blocked in a bank, so I've been thinking that it might be more important to mount it in such a way that the other electronics don't block the fresnel zone. I'm wondering how far away from other electronics it needs to be - 4, 6, 12 in? Any input on this from personal experience would be appreciated.

MVI 03381 (1 min 26 sec)


- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Last edited by jkarnacki; Jul 25, 2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: updated title of thread
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:34 AM
Registered User
CaliDave's Avatar
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Cool build Jeff! Can't wait to fly the FunJET with your Stryker. Your balsa/foam cutter looks like a cool toy.

PS: Maybe in another thread you can go over the build for the snowflake on the cutter?
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:36 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
my FPV system easily attaches to my stryker just above the forward compartment (where the battery goes)using a couple velcro straps I hot glued thru the fuselage ...the whol;e thing is attached to a small sliver of ply board with a total added weight of just 3.4 oz ....the stock motor/prop/esc combo from the "c" version is more than adequate for most flights ...just my 2 cents worth...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
Not again!!!!!!!
Switch2403's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Looks like great minds think alike... LOL. Here are a couple of pics of my stryker that I completed this week but this one will not be for FPV. Keep up the good work and we will be watching....
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:22 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,804 Posts
daddiozz

Can you post pics so we can have a idea of the placement of your FPV equip.?
Thanks for the help.... :-)



my FPV system easily attaches to my stryker just above the forward compartment (where the battery goes)using a couple velcro straps I hot glued thru the fuselage ...the whol;e thing is attached to a small sliver of ply board with a total added weight of just 3.4 oz
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
rclab, I'd like to see some pics as well. Sounds modular . Are you on 5.8?

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:30 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Help me out with this guys, I'm losing sleep over which motor to buy! These are the two that I'm looking at:

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/496

1.7 oz. Best prop is an EMP 6x5 for 30 oz thrust, 92 mph pitched speed and 22 amps on a 3 cell.

http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/497

This one is 2.0 oz (not really a concern). There's not really any good numbers for this motor on 3 cells. 4 cells, however, reveals 37 oz thrust, 102 mph pitch speed, all at the same 22 amps! This is really tempting, the only real downside is this...I don't have any 4 cell lipos. I could buy some, they're a few more dollars than 3 cells, but I couldn't use them in any of my other planes. Hmmmm.

What would you chose?

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
daddiozz

Can you post pics so we can have a idea of the placement of your FPV equip.?
Thanks for the help.... :-)



my FPV system easily attaches to my stryker just above the forward compartment (where the battery goes)using a couple velcro straps I hot glued thru the fuselage ...the whol;e thing is attached to a small sliver of ply board with a total added weight of just 3.4 oz
i'll see what i can do ...i'm at work right now ...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
windfou's Avatar
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
i will like to see your set up soon because i plan to build one also ,
my gear is: turnigy 9x with frysky module
600mw immersion tx 5.8
stock fat shark 5.8
gopro hd for the camera
i have the same airwave antenna for video tx and rx

first this set up will be on my 330x quadcopter
my only concern now is to figure it out how to install everything to have the best range and image quality
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:17 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I'm hoping to maiden it within a week. It's completely possible as long as I don't get distracted with other projects.

I still haven't ordered the motor yet but I have one I can use in the meantime. I'll get some more pics up later tonight or tomorrow when I make more progress.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:59 AM
Registered User
CaliDave's Avatar
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
I'm hoping to maiden it within a week. It's completely possible as long as I don't get distracted with other projects.

I still haven't ordered the motor yet but I have one I can use in the meantime. I'll get some more pics up later tonight or tomorrow when I make more progress.

- Jeff
I'd like to see the maiden... where ya planning on making the flight?
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:17 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Most likely here

37.484158,-122.28573

I fly from the soccer field and out into the valley to the west. But I could probably come over to Fremont (?) or meet half way if we wanted to do an impromptu meet

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:28 AM
Registered User
CaliDave's Avatar
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
Most likely here

37.484158,-122.28573

I fly from the soccer field and out into the valley to the west. But I could probably come over to Fremont (?) or meet half way if we wanted to do an impromptu meet

- Jeff
If your Stryker is as fast as my FunJET then you'll be in full turns for the whole flight out there.... I can barely go straight at my field before running into the other edge with the throttle wide open. More vertical straight lines than horizontal! haha.

But, yeah, you could fly at our filed if you wanted. Just usually me on 1280... unless Randy is in the area!
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
Well I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I spend most of my time just staring at all the parts trying to figure out how it's all going to fit while maintaining separation of noisy component as well as CG. I think I got it. The pics show a general layout that looks like it's going to balance. I'm going for the "press fit" type of look where everything fits snug into its own compartment. Oh yea, that's a tiny little 2212-06 motor on the back. Rest assured it is for testing purposes only

As for antenna placement I'm thinking of two options:

1. I'd like to keep all the weight centered if possible, so I could use a long coax to put my tx antenna way out on the wing tip. At 5.8 I hear the losses are large through coax so I'm not sure about this.

2. I could point the connector on the tx down, drill a hole in the fuse for a short 1-2" piece of coax, and mount the tx antenna literally underneath the plane. Then I'd need to use some type of foam/balsa dome to protect it. I really like this idea if it would work.

I'm going to ask this in the cloverleaf thread to see if anybody has experience with this.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:24 PM
Registered User
CaliDave's Avatar
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki View Post
Well I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I spend most of my time just staring at all the parts trying to figure out how it's all going to fit while maintaining separation of noisy component as well as CG. I think I got it. The pics show a general layout that looks like it's going to balance. I'm going for the "press fit" type of look where everything fits snug into its own compartment. Oh yea, that's a tiny little 2212-06 motor on the back. Rest assured it is for testing purposes only

As for antenna placement I'm thinking of two options:

1. I'd like to keep all the weight centered if possible, so I could use a long coax to put my tx antenna way out on the wing tip. At 5.8 I hear the losses are large through coax so I'm not sure about this.

2. I could point the connector on the tx down, drill a hole in the fuse for a short 1-2" piece of coax, and mount the tx antenna literally underneath the plane. Then I'd need to use some type of foam/balsa dome to protect it. I really like this idea if it would work.

I'm going to ask this in the cloverleaf thread to see if anybody has experience with this.

- Jeff
Hey Jeff...its tough with these small frames getting separation and retaining CG, etc. I feel you on sitting and looking at the parts. I'm on my 3rd adjustment to the FunJET (1c) trying to make everything happy.

That's the only downside to preparing slots for each component... if you need to move then you've already made cuts.

Also, as you point out protecting the antenna would be most important under the plane.... but think about this... if the antenna is under the plane then you'd want to be flying mostly level so the antenna was on with your ground antenna... but I've found the FunJET goes so fast I'm actually banked with the bottom of the jet typically away from where my antenna is as the plane circles around me.

That's why I though on top of the plane might be better if you plan on acrobatic maneuvers. also, with belly landings less possible damage if on top of the fuse.

The counter to this argument is that now the 5.8 antenna may be blocked when flying level if onto of the fuse. One step forward and one step back.

What about placing the antenna at the top of your canopy where it's the highest up above the body and nose making it easier to see the ground when flying level?
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log DAC-1 Build Log: Heavy Lift Hexacopter for AP/FPV, *VIDEOS Grips Multirotor Talk 322 Nov 29, 2013 04:04 AM
Build Log GoPro FPV FunJET - Build Log CaliDave FPV Talk 179 Mar 20, 2012 04:18 PM
Build Log Build Log: Arrow FPV flying wing from Canterbury Sailplanes Stunt Double FPV Talk 54 Sep 09, 2011 01:01 AM