Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:13 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Build Log
Turnigy 9X and FrSky with Telemetry for Dummies

OK, I'm the Dummy.

I've been reading (and reading... etc) the different threads on the 9X and the FrSky telemetry systems and I'm really hoping I can get it all working. Been busy lately but did have some time to play in my shop today. I'm waiting for my smartieparts board so can't do anything with new firmware until that arrives. I did get the FrSky module installed without any trouble following the rcmodelreviews video on YouTube. I hope the experts will chime in here and help me and others to get telemetry up and running on the 9X's LCD screen, I know there is a lot of interest in this, but it's pretty overwelming to us non-engineer types.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
so good so far...
FrSky Telemetry module first test. (0 min 15 sec)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
No intention to be critic or flame, but for future guys wanting to do this, there is a better way, imo.
Get the original FlySky 9X from leaderhobby, for 2-3$ more than this not inspired mod of HK, labelled as Turnigy. Then get a DJT module instead DHT.
All the above steps no more exists ! You simply plug and play module in the back and done !
Waiting with interest the followup
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Not exactly the kind of help I was looking for, but useful information never the less. 8^)

Any reason why the DJT can't be used in the 9X v2?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
Sure, you can, but if you simply cut the antenna wire, you end with two 2.4ghz antennas, and an unusable 2.4ghz module, that you can't sell.
Or, if you carefully unsolder and resolder the antenna to the original module, his usage is limited in other radio, because the implementation itself is not ok, it'a against the modular idea.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
... another way

There is another way to go.

In short, you can move the Turnigy antenna from the transmitter to the Turnigy module.

Like this:
http://azureengineering.blogspot.com...odule-mod.html

That way, your radio is truly modular, AND you can still use the Turnigy module (if you really want to.)
vfrjohn is offline Find More Posts by vfrjohn
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrjohn View Post
There is another way to go.

In short, you can move the Turnigy antenna from the transmitter to the Turnigy module.

Like this:
http://azureengineering.blogspot.com...odule-mod.html

That way, your radio is truly modular, AND you can still use the Turnigy module (if you really want to.)
Yea, I saw that before, but I really don't want to.

On another note, been doing a lot of reading, and even if you used the JR compatible module, that still wouldn't get the FrSky talking to the transmitter? Or am I missing something?

Also, if I were to add a hack module to this transmitter again, I think I would just solder a servo connector to it and put it on the existing pins (where the module plugs in.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Have had a little time to play with the 9X, ran the configuration software, added an extension to the hack module to be able to access it without taking the transmitter apart. The bind switch and LED board seems very inconvenient to mount compared to the old one. I think I'll just mount it in the void of the old RF deck with some holes made to access the switches. Been reading about the soldering required to interface the 9X to the FrSky telemetry… looks very challenging. Any tips?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
The only challenging part is soldering the two 220ohm resistors to the atmega board.

I haven't done mine yet because of this, looking for someone with skills to do it for me.
purcilas is online now Find More Posts by purcilas
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:38 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
I haven't tried it yet either, been too busy and still waiting for my programmer board.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:36 AM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
I got one but ordered another for my other 9x and the whole Canada Post thing sucks.

I just need to find someone locally to solder those two cables so I can get telemetry going!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:07 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purcilas View Post
I got one but ordered another for my other 9x and the whole Canada Post thing sucks.

I just need to find someone locally to solder those two cables so I can get telemetry going!
You should post in DIY electronics, maybe you could find someone in your area to help you out?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:02 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
I just found someone at my club today! He'll do it for me
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,903 Posts
Lucky for you. I just received an email saying smartieparts board should start shipping.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
Yay!