Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Discussion
Trying something inspiring this summer or fall for the next generation sloper

I am the Cubmaster for my local Cub Scout Pack; Pack 727. I have a very large pack with about 100 boys in it (age range from 5 years to 11 years old).
I plane on doing a model aviation show and tell and I will bring all my RC planes to our schools multi purpose room and talk all about flying. With an emphasis on gliders and slope soaring because that is what I love most about RC. I have about 35 built aircraft (slope and electric) ranging from a 4 meter glider to indoor micro stuff to display. I will also bring some kits and talk about building model airplanes, and talk about aerial photography and flying full scale as I am also a licensed pilot.

If all goes well I will repeat this talk for the next 2 years that I am Cubmaster. (once a year, as we get new boys in each year)

I think it would be so cool to be an old guy on the slope and have one of the scouts I gave this talk to come up to me and say. “I remember you, you were my Cubmaster and got me into model aviation and slope soaring, oh and I also fly 747’s for a living.”

So what do you guys think?
Any advice you guys might have would be welcome. This will be a first for me.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Jun 17, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Maybe I could take all 100 camping and flying here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270849

That sure would be a lot more memorable than a show and tell in the MPR at school. A bit harder to pull off logistically though.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,748 Posts
I have alot of magazine's and book's about aviation both model's and full sized. Tonight I gave a women I know a Smithsonian book about aviation for children, she will give it to her grand son and daughter. I will alway's help out the kid's as they are our future of aviation and space flight for that matter. When ever parent's and their kid's watch me and my friend's slope soar, they alway's have question's. We try to answer as best we can. Sometime's I'll even let a child work the stick on my Tx when the model is at least 3 mistake's high.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member