SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
Can't make that as that is the first day of vacation which means I will be out of town. Going to NAC's in SD and excited about that. Will make the club race on the 29th of September. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
I am going to send in my entry to NAC in SD next week. To bad the late penalty starts a month before. I should have all the parts I need to assemble my boat at the end of next week, thank goodness. Looked online and fifteen entries to the NAC, not bad. Ryan
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
Well getting closer with the boat. Have a rudder, rig, radio, new sails, almost all the hardware.
Gonna paint the boat first from the deck down. Working on preping the boat for paint today. Hopefully buy the paint tomorrow and paint the boat over the weekend. Wish me luck guys, hopefully boat will be ready soon to sail. Really hoping things will come together to go to SD for Nationals. Ryan
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
623 Posts
Good luck!

Nice job Ryan. Attaboy! Good luck in SD. Onward!
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
Ordered a rudder servo and receiver battery (3200Mah life 6.6 volt battery). Got awlgrip paint to spray on the boat today. Got to get a sprayer this weekend and then give the boat a coat of primer. Gotta work on designing a radio board for the boat to. So many projects. Ryan
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:25 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,672 Posts

Sorry things took so long guys. Enjoy
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 20, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:03 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
This was posted on the Santa Barbara site by thorsails, thanks Allan, Rich was a friend of mine and he will be missed.
John R.

Hello.I imagine most of you have already heard through the grapevine,
but if you haven't...
Rich Matt passed away on Tuesday, July 17,2012

I am sure you are all aware of his contributions to the Santa Barbara
class and he recently fulfilled duties as Insurance Committee Sec.
and Photo Editor for our MY magazine.
Rich was there when the AMYA began,and I am sure most of you know he
held membership card number 004 in this organization.
He also was a founding member of our AMYA Club #7 -the Chicago R/C
Model Yacht Club, which started in 1972.
I have only seen a few examples of his modeling skills, and
the detail and execution he achieved were over the top,and have
witnessed his effortless skill sailing a boat around a course.
Rich, enjoy that last big lift.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,355 Posts
John -
Thanks for letting us know about Rich. I was wondering why there was no response to my email to him - just thinking he was being a "curmudgeon" as we, while friends, also didn't always agree on the direction AMYA was taking a few years ago.

As former technical editor for the AMYA magazine, I worked close with Rich regarding photos to illustrate the articles and we found a mutual interest in photography as well as R/C and "big boat" sailing. Just to add a bit more perspective - Rich had a huge article that dealt with his experiences and trial of a working spinnaker that captured a cover photo as was an excellent article as well in an issue of their magazine.

My condolences to his family and friends - and hope he finds a rigged and working spinnaker-equipped boat - he deserves it for all his volunteer efforts and background model boat support. He will be missed by those who knew him.

Dick L.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
So sad to lose our legends. Hopefully their knowledge is passed down to others. Ryan
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:31 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Ryan, Rich did leave a lot of info for everyone, he wrote a lot of articles for MY, I think it was MY #117 and #118 was how to build a Santa Barbara, also he wrote the manual on how to build a Santa Barbara, Rich and Chuck Black where inducted it to the AMYA hall of fame in 2003 http://www.theamya.org/hof/hall2003members.php isn't it ironic that they both passed away this year, I think that the next MY will have a full page tribute on each one of them
John R.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
I think that the next MY will have a full page tribute on each one of them
That would probably be a very good thing....

Craig
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
Boat construction is coming along slowly. Reinforced the original platform and got the hole where the stock vortex head stay fitting is glassed over and filled in. Rich Matt's article on putting the boat together and rigging it is very helpful. What kind of material do most of you use for the radio board. I am making a carbon fibre bracket angle bracket to mount my RMG winch on. Using a sailsetc main boom and my existing 12MM carbon rig.
More to come later. Will take some pictures and post em soon. Ryan
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:15 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Ryan, here's the 2 radio boards I have in my S/B's, this is the last time I will use RMG winches in my S/B's, to many things to go wrong, I will go back to arm winches from now on, you now KISS,
John R.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
911 Posts
What do think of using starboard for the radio board? I see you have three servos and the RMG winch, what are you using the third servo for?? Ryan
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Ryan the S/B #367 has 4 servos in it, RMG sail winch, rudder, back stay, and jib trim, S/B #1406 has 5 servos in it, RMG sail winch, rudder, back stay, jib trim, and jib twicher, I can't make a comment on the Starboard I have not used the product, the wood board I use is 1/8" light ply coated with epoxy, it works very well.
John R.