HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:54 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
881 Posts
Bobinsc,
You should see if you can round up some more SB's and try to start a fleet. I know used boats are hard to find, but they are out there waiting to be found. Way cool boat, pretty sure you have Larry Ludwigs first boat.
I am going to be putting together what I think is an old Vortex ocean racer style hull this winter. Good luck Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
Bobinsc, good looking S/B, I have a question on the sail #, is this a Ludwig hull, it looks like a Hartman deck, Hartman # where 1200 to 1500 and Ludwig # started with 1600, I just got my new S/B hull from Blue Crab today, it really looks good, will post pictures when I can
John R.
Hi John, you're correct. It is a Larry Ludwig hull and Hartman deck. The boat was in almost perfect condition...even the sails were perfect!! Talked to Larry Ludwig and he confirmed this was one of his earlier boats. Sail her mostly when the wind is 15 to 20 mph on the lake. They seem to sail well when the wind is up :-) Good luck and happy sailing your new S/B
Bob
Bobinsc is offline Find More Posts by Bobinsc
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Bobinsc,
You should see if you can round up some more SB's and try to start a fleet. I know used boats are hard to find, but they are out there waiting to be found. Way cool boat, pretty sure you have Larry Ludwigs first boat.
I am going to be putting together what I think is an old Vortex ocean racer style hull this winter. Good luck Ryan
Hi Ryan, yes, it is one of Larry's first boats. Trying to get a bunch of guys together who want to sail is like pulling teeth I live in So Carolina and the closest EC12 club i sail in is Georgia!! I also sail in a Seawind Club which is 40 min. away. Not too bad. Would love to get some interest in RC sailing on my lake, Lake Keowee, I even put an AMYA poster in a local sail boat marina. Not even one call Oh well. Lots of luck with your Vortex ocean racer.
Happy sailing, Bob
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
sails

Does anyone know if there is a B rig for the S/B or just one size only? Other models have A and B rigs but Santa Barbaras seem to only have one size.
Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:20 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
216 Posts
Bob, I don't think there is a minimum size for sails for the S/B class, so if to you want make a "B" rig, just make it smaller than your "A" rig, most S/B sailors just adjust the sails for the wind conditions. Ryan is your Vortex between #800 and #1299 it is a ocean racer, also the top of the keel should be rounded where it fits into the hull, the old 300 series, Hartman and the new Blue Crab have a flat top with tapered sides, we're lucky in Chicago we have a large S/B fleet.
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
881 Posts
John R,
Yes the slot in the bottom of the boat for the keel is rounded. I should be getting the keel from the old owner next weekend. Waiting for my rudder that I ordered from Don at Loyalhanna Dockyard. I used to have an old Vortex ocean race Santa Barbara when I was in my early twenties and really liked the boat. Can't wait to get this one sailing next year. There is no hull number at all on the boat anywhere I can find. This boat will be sailed out of the San Francisco Model Yacht club next year. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:35 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
216 Posts
Ryan, the hull # should be on the left side about half way up the side even with the rear keel bolt, I thought all ocean racer's had #, here's a picture what it should look like
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Last edited by tbarjohn; Oct 30, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Santa Barbara Sail Points 11/6/2011

Here are the San Diego Argonauts Sail Points races for the month of November 2011. Three races mostly in reaching conditions... but there are still lessons to be learned.

Santa Barbara Sail Pts 6 Nov 11 (13 min 45 sec)
kencamp is offline Find More Posts by kencamp
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
2011 Santa Barbara National Championship Regatta

Here is some video coverage of the National Championship Regatta for the Santa Barbara One Design class held at the model boat pond in Mission Bay, San Diego 19-20 November 2011. Enjoy...
Ken

SB NCR 19-20 Nov 11 (35 min 50 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Thanks Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencamp View Post
Here is some video coverage of the National Championship Regatta for the Santa Barbara One Design class held at the model boat pond in Mission Bay, San Diego 19-20 November 2011. Enjoy...
Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQvG1UF_GY
Thanks for the informative video Ken. Really enjoy watching and learning some sailing techniques rather than reading about all the rules in a book.
Keep the vids comming, Bob Larsen
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Awesome videos Ken. What a fine idea, and your narration is spot on. They let me evaluate and consider my own sailing and tactics too! Congratulations on your win in San Diego.
Steve S
ffsteve100 is offline Find More Posts by ffsteve100
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
San Diego Argonauts Sail Points 1/7/2012

Here is video coverage of the San Diego Argonauts Sail Points races for the Santa Barbara class held at the Mission Bay pond on 1/7/2012.

enjoy,
Ken

SB Sail Pts 7 Jan 12 (15 min 37 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
The incident at the weather mark in race 3 is quite complex. I suggest reading Case 93 in the ISAF case book.

I think that Red wins the protest as White did not give mark room to Red under R 18.3. But this is a close call and could go the other way. . .read on

R 18.3 applies as White was subject to R 13 (tacking in the zone), while Red is in the zone, on stbd and laying the mark. White has to give mark room to Red who establishes an overlap from astern and to leeward after White completes her tack.

As soon as White is on her close hauled course, she become ROW under R 12. As soon as the overlap is established Red becomes ROW under R 11, but R 15 applies briefly.

There is a limitation on Red, not to sail above her proper course. (Red ducked under and to leeward of White and then headed back up) to sail to the mark. I do not see Red sailing above her proper course in this case.

The question is "Is there a limitation on Red establishing a close overlap to leeward of White that White has to be able to turn to give room to Red once the overlap is established"? That is what Case 93 talks about.

There is a point when White has completed her tack and is clear ahead and Red is clear astern that Red must make a decision to go outside or inside White. White is still accelerating and Red is moving faster. Red chooses to go inside, but establishes the overlap very close to White. So from a rules perspective the questions 1. Does White have to stay clear? and 2. "Does White have room to stay clear of Red once the overlap begins"?

For White to give room, she must head up, however to head up(turn right) her stern will move left. It looks like White could not turn to weather without hitting Red.

Another consideration is R 31. Unless the Sailing Instructions for the event contain a specific modification to allow on-course exoneration for hitting a mark, the boat that hits (was forced into) the mark must still take a penalty turn. The only other recourse for that boat is to file a protest and hope that the protest committee exonerate her using R 64.1.c. If they do not exonerate, then the boat that hit the mark gets DSQ.

So I think the lesson in this incident is that it would have been much safer for Red to go outside White and protest White for forcing Red to sail above close hauled to avoid White. That way, Red may win or not win the protest, but would avoid the risk of being DSQ by the protest committee if they feel that the incident was sufficiently close to Case 93 as precedent.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
John -
Thanks for your comments. I just finished a video analysis of this situation and will post same when the upload completes. Dave Perry's 'Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing' goes over this situation in some detail (page 170). Dave's bottom line is that the tacking boat is a 'sitting duck'. And do note that RRS 18.5 exonerates red from R 15 in this situation. regards, Ken.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
Hi Ken.

What I was really on about (and wrote way too much), is the risk of being too aggressive. By choosing to go inside and risk having contact with the mark and the other boat leads to a protest hearing. . .and someone will be DSQ because of the contact and it may be you.

If you take the less aggressive path and go outside and protest the boat that tacked (for tacking too close, failing to give mark room and forcing you above close hauled), there is no downside risk. Either they take a penalty and you get past them, or you go to a hearing where they may or may not get DSQ, but you have no risk. (difference between win/no win and win/loose).

In addition to Perry's comments about exoneration, there is no on course exoneration for breaking R 31, UNLESS it is in the SI and the other boat accepts a penalty. If it is not then only a protest committee can invoke R64.1.c to exonerate you for R 31.

Great video again. Thanks.

ps I am all booked for San Diego for the IOM regatta in mid-Feb. . .hope to meet you in person.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; Jan 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM.