HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:47 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Last edited by SD RC Boater; Jan 27, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Enjoy the new years sail guys. Will see you all on the 12th for the regular informal race. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
No was over there yesterday and I will try to make it over there in the afternoon tomorrow. I brought my I54, IOM, and Vela with me. Maybe see another sailor over there tomorrow? Ryan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Last edited by SD RC Boater; Jan 27, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Much lighter. Your pond is cool, but not sure it's a fair test as the wind is really fluky this time of year. Would like to race on your pond some time. Much warmer down here. Ryan
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
610 Posts
Santa Barbara beer-can race #4

Guys,
Here we go with off-season unofficial beer-can race #4. We had ten boats for #3. Lets see if we can get 11 on the lake for the 4th (of 5) off-season races. And, New Year's Day we had 5 boats at one point. Its all good. More is more better. Ha!

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[

then, 49ers v Packers 5pm (:

One thing for sure, "slow-boats" (SBs) have picked up speed with the help of our experienced skippers. It's nice to have the time to hand one of our alpha helmsmen the Tx in quasi-race conditions to see what they can ring out of a boat. Often, our tutor hands us their race-ready rig which helps isolate our challenged-skipper-skills.

Some of us may not be front runners (yet) but we are in pursuit and a big shout-out goes to each one of our mentors for all your help-thank you, it is appreciated

March means the SFMYC official regatta season begins. And that means goodbye to beer-can racing for the next 6 months. Most of us are, of course, focused on our SFMYC-AMYA-SBOD-NAC Sept. 9 & 10 here at Spreckels Lake in GG Park, San Francisco while keeping one eye on The America's Cup races on San Francisco Bay September 7&8. Who's got it better than this?.....nobody!

Onward. (:
Jp-wopT aka Jerry (promotor without portfolio)
Turney
(*beer-can racing-unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food, nothing but fun!)
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add picture & update weather
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
610 Posts
CLOCK IS TICKING tick tock tick tock

And......its "beer-can #4" time Saturday. The SB beer-can off-season mock race series is informal racing after the membership meeting. Beer-can racing is unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food and nothing but fun. We encourage SBs to prep off-season for September's AMYA-SFMYC-SBODs-NAC and, I-54s, Wheelers, other boats-large & small-are also encouraged to join in mock racing. Its a big lake and there's room for all.

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[
CU on the H20!
Jerry, occasional promotor without portfolio
Go Niners-win! Yeh!
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: update NOAA weather forecast
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Rich Styles, if your out there, get ahold of me. Ryan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
610 Posts
Santa Barbara beer-can racing

SFMYC's off-season SB beer-can race #4 got a reprieve from the arctic freeze passing through this week. Unfortunately, the winds were mild at 2-4 mph. But, we shortened the courses to accommodate the conditions.

Informal off-season racing lets us fiddle-n-fix without a-lot-on-the-line making for a great-good-time for one-n-all.

The last SB off-season beer-can race will be Sat Feb 16 1-3 after the SFMYC membership meeting. If it floats-bring it! Its a big lake and everyone is welcome-with or without a beer-can.
Jerry
occasional promotor of SB beer-can races
Spreckels Lake, GG Park, San Francisco
(36 Ave & Fulton Street)
Since 1898!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:19 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
215 Posts
here's some pictures of of my new prototype servo board for my new Santa Barbara #007, the broad is fabricated from .016" aluminum, the sail winch is home made, functions are sail winch, rudder, back stay, jib trim and jib twicher
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
here's some pictures of of my new prototype servo board for my new Santa Barbara #007, the broad is fabricated from .016" aluminum, the sail winch is home made, functions are sail winch, rudder, back stay, jib trim and jib twicher
John R.
Nice job! Looks well thoughtout. Compact. Tidy. I like the adjustable attachment points on the arm.

I prefer your layout to mine. Time to redo. Darn.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
610 Posts
open beer-can race Saturday 1-3

Several skippers plan to splash boats after the SFMYC membership meeting Saturday. More boats are more better. Why-Good people with good boats are gooder! Ha!

Beer-can races are unsanctioned, informal, no registration, fees, food or prizes. They are NBF (nothing but fun). If it floats-splash it Free-sail, RC, big, little, heavy, light it's all good. Please join us if you can. CU on the H2O!
Jenthusiast without portfolioT

Follow-up. We had an irregular (unaffiliated), a free-sail, an ODOM, an Infinity-54 and SBODs all out mock racing having fun and fiddling with rigging. Racing season is nearly here but this is very enjoyable and good fun.

Beer-can #6 is penciled in for Monday of Memorial Day weekend. Splash what you have. CU on the HO.
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: new info
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Can't wait for the first race of the season at SFMYC. Excited to build my new rig and take delivery of my new set BBJ sails for the boat. Gonna go to Sacramento for their first race this coming Sunday. Ryan
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,130 Posts
Ryan:

Remember that the SMYC race is at Lake Natoma in Folsom rather than the West Sacramento venue. Wouldn't want you to go the the wrong place!

See you there.

Steve
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,036 Posts
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2 channel SB to 4 channel operation. What's the best way to rig a backstay adjuster? How much servo torque is needed for that application? What's the best way to pass the lead through the deck?

Thanks in advance.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH